PDA

View Full Version : Call flop bet with flush draw and 2nd button?

JP Rocks
04-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Sorry, the details are a bit hazy, I'm writing this from work.

$11 turbo sng at UB last night, 5 handed, blinds are 100/200. I'm in the BB with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Everybody calls other than the SB. Pot is 900.

Flop comes down A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 400 (he had around 2200 chips at the start of the hand, and I had around 2500), button folds. After thinking for a while, I decide that this guy has an ace and is afraid of the flush draw, so decide to call and fold if I dont improve on the turn. UTG folds. Pot is 1700.

Turn card is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check to the better, who bets about 95% of his remaining stack (about 1400 chips, I think he meant to go all in). I push, and he calls and shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for two pair. River card is the 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, (I have been working on my river quad technique).

I was pretty happy with my play, a bit loose calling the flop bet, but it was a turbo and I counted 9 outs for the flush draw, and another 5 outs to 2 pair/trips. The other players at the table didnt see it that way, and tore me to strips for the making an "insulting" call as one guy put it. Either way, I went on to win....

Your thoughts?

willie
04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
standard

he butchered the hand, not you.

top and bottom pair w/ a 2 flushed board in a limped pot? he shoudl have been betting the pot or possibly overbetting the pot on the flop- then your call would have been debateable.

you played it fined.

Shilly
04-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I probably would have played it the same. You've got a number of outs and, if you hit one, he probably has no chance to redraw against you.

11t
04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I push the flop.

UttBuggly
04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Sports Fan,

I'd say that was just about perfect. It wasn't that loose a call. You're probably okay for the flush and have 2nd pair. I might have bet the 2nd pair to gain information but that bettor took care of that for you. My only fear would have been KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or KJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif as those are the kind of hands someone would logically have. On the other hand, he basically played A blank...a poor play in a tournament...got burned and then whined about it. His play got him what he deserved...wiped out.

JP Rocks
04-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I felt pretty good about how I played the hand- other than the table comments.