PDA

View Full Version : AQo problems...

masonx
04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
For some reason ive never been an average winner on AQo, I lost my database back in feb but have logged near to 18k hands since then so my sample size is really small but i dont think it should so drastic.

-I have had AQo 170 times a 3/6.
-im have a losing rate of 0.27BB/hand with this particular hand
-my VPIP with this hand is 96.5%

what do you guys think? just sample size or am I doing something wrong, theres really know information i can provide you with.

Im kinda just thinking about throwing this away to early tight raisers or when its 2 bets back to me with maybe 4+ callers.

masonx
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
no one?

Brian
04-07-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost my database back in feb but have logged near to 18k hands since then so my sample size is really small but i dont think it should so drastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it can be that drastic, and in fact should be expected with such a small sample size. Didn't some guy post a screenshot of AA being a loser over something like 10k hands? For a more marginal hand like AQo and hands close to it in EV, it should be expected for a few of them to be losers over only 18k hands.

However, from the way you talk about the hand, your problems may not lie in only sample size. For more information regarding the hand AQo in particular, I suggest checking out John Feeney's "Inside the Poker Mind", which has an essay that relates directly to AQo. To sum it up, though:

[ QUOTE ]
Im kinda just thinking about throwing this away to early tight raisers

[/ QUOTE ]

You should definitely be doing at least that. AQo is never in great shape, and often in poor to totally dominated shape, against a tight EP raiser.

-Brian

masonx
04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
well even on my old DB i remember just barely breaking even over a larger sample size, but yeah ill check that out

Brian
04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I just looked in one of my March databases, which has 21.5k hands, and here are the AQo stats:

Hand: AQo
Times: 209
Win %: 45.93
BB/hand: +.06

While the bb/hand was positive, the actual net $ won was negative. If that makes you feel any better.

-Brian

thirddan
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
i was a loser with AQs until about 50k hands at 3/6...

masonx
04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
AQs is a different story for me. just AQo

masonx
04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
ive always played it identicly to AK - except i always muck when its 3 bets too me. I think i will have a better winrate if i take it more the way i play AJo except i will still 3bet semi-loose to loose raisers. but muck like i would with AJo if it were two bets too me, especially against a tight raiser

Reef
04-07-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't some guy post a screenshot of AA being a loser over something like 10k hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

you pretty much have to purposely play horrible poker to have this happen.

billyjex
04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Against most EP raisers AQo is a toss for me. I will check my stats on it later -- I know it hasn't always been that profitable for me.

emonrad87
04-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I would say that AQ, particularly AQo, is one of the most dangerous hands in poker. This is because, even to a pretty tight, solid player, it looks so damn good. This causes one to way over play it, resulting in losing many large pots when dominated.

For example, you reraise a tight EP raiser with AQo. He calls and it's heads up to the flop. Flop is ace high. You're gonna lose a LOT in this situation when he turns over AK. Same deal if the flop is Q high and he's got AA/KK.

In short, AQo seems like a hand that would be very powerful, and it is - but NOT when facing a raise from a tight player. It's gonna lose a lot of big pots and only win small ones.

Seether
04-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I dont see why everyone is having problems with this hand, I have done fairly well with it.

315times 54.92%win .49bb per hand

Is overaggressiveness or under aggressiveness the problem?