PDA

View Full Version : Borgata Wednesday morning $40 +$10 rebuy: Good, bad or marginal move?

McMelchior
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
The Borgata Weekly (Wednesday morning) tournament, $40 + $10, unlimited $40 re-buys the first hour and a $40 add-on. Level 7, Blinds t1000/t500/ante t100, in 4 minutes they’re going up to t1600/t800/ante t/200 and again 20 minutes later to t2000/t1000 etc.

We’re 9-handed (seat 6 is empty), and I have slightly more than t9,000 in front of me in seat 7; seat 2 is BB with approximately t2,600 left after posting his blind. Seat 1 is the SB and a big stack with more than t30,000, and he has previously proved willing to call all-in bets with a decent range of hand without being outrageously loose; seat 3 has an equally large stack and seems even looser. The remaining players at my table have from slightly more than I up to around one and a half time my stack.

There is a total of 39 players left out of a field of 88, and they pay 9 spots. Average stack should be around t8,600, with me seated at one of the more chip heavy tables.

Two hands earlier - after some deliberation - I folded pocket 99 to seat 3’s open-minimum-raise. I had seen him open-limp numerous times from early position with a great variety of hands, and I had seen him raise his BB to 5xBB after a couple of limpers with pretty decent hands – but this was the first time in an hour he’d raised from EP, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t like folding my 99 either, but my gut feeling said any pocket pair from 55 to AA with a strong bias towards the very top - due to the minimum raise; it was folded around so I didn’t get to see his hand.

Most of the table has been replaced during the last twenty minutes, and there’s been a number of preflop raises that wasn’t called. I have made one (uncalled) move-in from mid-position approximately one orbit earlier, but the few players at the table who have had the opportunity to observe me over longer time (which includes the big stack in seat 1) have actually commented on my tightness.

Three players fold to me, and I look down on KJs. Not exactly a prime hand, but I’m very concerned about a big blind of 20% of my stack hitting me within 3 hands from now, most likely leaving me without any leverage. I stipulate the BB will be willing to call all-in for his last t2,600 with virtually any hand. If nothing and nobody comes in between I have a decent chance of picking up t5,000 from the blinds and the rest of the BB’s stack.

I move in.

Good, bad or marginal move?

Results in white:
<font color="white">It’s folded around to the SB, who moves all-in with AA. I get no help. </font>

Additional notes:
It’s been 8 months since I played a live tournament, and
1) Geeeez, it’s hard to keep track of the other players stack sizes!
2) Geeeez, some players are actually exactly as annoying/nasty/deprecating/racist live as they appear online!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

betgo
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
With 9xBB, 5 players to act, and the ante, I think this is a push. You have a big suited gapper which is only going to be a 2-1 dog to QQ, JJ, AK, AJ, and KQ. Of course you are in trouble against AA or KK.

joeboe2001
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I guess you didn't notice the SB drooling!!!

Better luck next time--call, raise or fold you were pretty much screwed on this hand. Even with 20-20 hindsight, I think I will do the same thing the next time a similar hand comes up!

DVC Calif
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I think that this was good push, especially considering the table image you cultivated. It is unfortuante that the SB big stack had a real hand but c'est la guerre.

Did the BB up calling? I think that if I was the SB, I would have smooth called your raise to induce BB to push as well with pot odss to triple up.