PDA

View Full Version : Shut down AA (no, not pre-flop)?

Sam T.
04-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Round One of a Party $10+1.

Hero is on the button with AA. UTG (who has around 2400 chips, having busted two people) raises to t75. It's folded to Hero, who flat calls. (With even one limper, I'm repopping, but it seemed likely that we'd get heads up.) Blinds both fold.

Flop: QTx-rainbow

UTG checks, Hero bets 2/3 pot. UTG calls.

Turn: Q

UTG checks.

Does anyone not continue to bet here? Granted this guy could be an idiot on a str8 draw, or think that his ATo is good, but obviously if he's on a queen, I'm in real trouble. I can't check and give the free card, and with the short starting stacks if I bet and he calls, I'm getting pretty close to pot-stuck.

What would The Yugoslavian do?

Thanks,

Sam

Shanemex
04-07-2005, 03:25 PM
You think he raised preflop and then checked top pair?

The Yugoslavian
04-07-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Round One of a Party $10+1.

Hero is on the button with AA. UTG (who has around 2400 chips, having busted two people)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming he busted them playing loose marginal hands pre-flop and going to far on draws and/or hitting the hell outta the flop, yes?

[ QUOTE ]

raises to t75. It's folded to Hero, who flat calls. (With even one limper, I'm repopping, but it seemed likely that we'd get heads up.) Blinds both fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you repopping here? The dude busted two ppl, and has shown interest in his hand. Let him call for at least a couple hundred more chips (and be more likely to double up the rest of your chips on a flop due to the bigger pot) or bully you pre-flop with a re-raise where you can get all your chips in.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: QTx-rainbow

UTG checks, Hero bets 2/3 pot. UTG calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he could pretty much still have anything here I suppose. Probably an overcard, pp, or piece of the flop methinks...

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: Q

UTG checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how has he played those two hands (or perhaps one) where he busted people?? Is he going to commit a ton of chips on the river here on a bluff or semi-bluff if you check behind?

Most likely he's simply still waiting for what he thinks is his 'pay off' card (a K or A).

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone not continue to bet here? Granted this guy could be an idiot on a str8 draw, or think that his ATo is good, but obviously if he's on a queen, I'm in real trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmmmm. Well, I don't mind checking behind and generally calling, betting or raising for value on the river given his action to that point. Frankly, you're going to have the best hand here most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't check and give the free card, and with the short starting stacks if I bet and he calls, I'm getting pretty close to pot-stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What would The Yugoslavian do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.....

Hrrrrmmm...what to do, what to do. I'd either bet another 2/3 or check hoping to induce a river bluff that I can call. I don't like the pot size vs. my stack size here though. The pot is small enough for him to get away from if you're ahead, yet big enough that if you keep stabbing at it you can easily cripple yourself if you're behind him. You want to extract the maximum amount of chips from this guy's worse hands.

At the table I think I would have bet another 2/3 of the pot.

Yugoslav
PS I'm more worried about the second Q scaring him away rather than beating me here...

Sam T.
04-07-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming he busted them playing loose marginal hands pre-flop and going to far on draws and/or hitting the hell outta the flop, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

-Unfortunately, I was multi-tabling, and didn't see both the hands that tripled him up. One was AK vs. A8 (he had the AK).

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't you repopping here?

[/ QUOTE ]
-I usually do. With the big stack, I wanted to give him the chance to try to push me out on the flop. Didn't work out, obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't mind checking behind and generally calling, betting or raising for value on the river given his action to that point. Frankly, you're going to have the best hand here most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but couldn't bring myself to check behind. I just kept hearing Sklansky telling me that giving a free card that can beat you is a mathematical catasrophe.

I considered another 2/3 pot bet, but couldn't think of a card that would make me fold on the river (a ten would make me sad, of course), so I went ahead and shoved it in. Probably not the best play, since I was either way ahead or way behind, but when I get confused, I push.

Results in white: <font color="white">Villain had TT, for flopped set and turned boat. No way I could get away from this one, I guess. </font>

The Yugoslavian
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I considered another 2/3 pot bet, but couldn't think of a card that would make me fold on the river (a ten would make me sad, of course), so I went ahead and shoved it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but shoving it in here makes worse hands fold. Betting 2/3 allows a monkey to keep calling with the worst hand paying you off. Just thinking 'meh....I'm not folding if he puts me allin here..might as well push' won't help you extract chips, early STTs are not about FE, they are about chip extraction from dominated hands and suckers.

[ QUOTE ]

Probably not the best play, since I was either way ahead or way behind, but when I get confused, I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do too, but not in this situation. Although, with his big stack the villian will pay you off with dominated hands here enough to probably make pushing okay...

I didn't look at your results. Sounds like from your tone and such that you lost, I'm sorry to hear that. I'd guess he has a big ol' monster (QQ or TT) rather than KQ, AQ, or whatever...

The bad news is that QQ or TT here will very likely take a ton of your chips and sometimes bust you. The good news is that you will very likely bust them instead and/or be up against other hands you can ream.

Yugoslav

Sam T.
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but shoving it in here makes worse hands fold. Betting 2/3 allows a monkey to keep calling with the worst hand paying you off. Just thinking 'meh....I'm not folding if he puts me allin here..might as well push' won't help you extract chips, early STTs are not about FE, they are about chip extraction from dominated hands and suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point, and one I need to keep in mind. Just because I know a bet commits me (or my opponent) to the pot, doesn't mean that he knows this. I've seen guys with t400 call two t200 bets when they would have folded to a t400 bet in a heartbeat.

It's tough to go broke underestimating the players at the $10 tables.

Thanks,

Sam