PDA

View Full Version : Couple A8 hands against a LAG

chief444
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Just started trying out some 5/10 6-max. I've been looking through some older HUSH posts and reading up some so I won't be too lost. I've messed around quite a bit at 1/2 6-max but I'm sure 5/10 is a lot different. Anyway, here's a couple from last night. Same villain in both is very loose/aggressive...something like 60/22/1.5 or so. I've noticed he'll keep betting into someone no matter what but will muck what I'm assuming have been total bluffs. Anyway:

Party 5/10, 6-max,6-handed

Hand1:

Villain in SB open raises.
Hero calls with A8o.

Flop is 445 rainbow.

Bet,call

Turn is 6

Bet,call

River is a J

Bet,call

Hand 2:

Villain open raises from CO. Hero 3-bets from button with A8s.

Flop: A,T,2 two toned, one of my suit.

Bet,call

Turn: offsuit 7

Bet, hero calls planning to raise any river.

Comments?

cjx
04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Hand One:
I think reraising preflop would be good. I'd probably raise either the flop or the turn and call down a 3 bet. If taking your line I might raise the turn and call down a 3 bet here too... maybe that's wrong as it'd allow him to value bet you or fold total shite. It just seems like your hand is best often enough and I wouldn't be too upset to have him fold given that you have only have A8 high.

Hand Two:
Looks good to me.

cjx

ZZZ
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Hand 1: 3 bet pf, I think you are way ahead of his range here. Postflop seems fine given Villian's description.

Hand 2: Are you sure he'll bet the river? If so, played fine. If not raise the turn. There's a good chance he's drawing live against you.

ZZZ

J.R.
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Hand 1 is fine postflop, I like 3-betting preflop

I think the prelfop 3-bet may be a little thin, but its probably alright. bigger issue- why riase the river if this guy mucks to resistance? There are a number of better aces he could have and a lot of worse hands that will fold to a river raise. I'm inclined to call becuase a flopped A is likely bluffing fodder for a player such as this- what would he bet and pay off with that u beat, a T?

J.R.
04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
if he is behind he is drawing fairly thin (albeit live), and there is also a good chance he is drawing dead. this opponent is believed to be one who folds marginal hands to aggression but keeps betting if you don't play back, so why is raising better than calling, espcially when we consider we may not be best?

chief444
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I should have mentioned that he'll call with really any pair as well, hence my plan for the river in hand two. I've seen him play aggressively and show down crap cards with a small pair. So I'm assuming whenever he's folded it has been worse than crap.

edit...Thanks BTW J.R. and I do agree that hand two a river raise against any somewhat reasonable opponent would be pointless.

ZZZ
04-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I agree, given the read, not raising the turn is correct, and raising the river depends on how often he'll call with marginal hands (which is quite often from what I've seen in this game).

ZZZ

chief444
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the comments. Sorry if these are fairly uninteresting. I'm just trying to get a better feel for short-handed play.

I agree not 3-betting hand one is a mistake, especially considering I showed down unimproved anyway.