PDA

View Full Version : The College Kid Force Multiplier in Poker

Matt Flynn
04-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Here is the basic concept: preflop play in nlhe is fairly straightforward (at least for me), particularly if you add a few heuristics. With a preflop folding bot (no, I do not have one - still interested if anyone's got one) one can play eight tables with ease. Otherwise it's too much clicking.

I think standing in a room with subordinates who call me over for significant flop decisions and all non-checkfold turn and river decisions I could work 12 tables easily. I also believe I could take college kids who had played some poker and get them to approximate my preflop style in a few hours since preflop's the easiest street. Each would have a chart listing situations and percentages and a push-button box that spits out a random number between 1 and 10 to make random decisions until they got horse sense and started making good nonrandom random decisions. If I could take my four-table earn and multiple by 2.5, there is plenty of room to pay any revelant number of college kids. With a 36-hour work week (6 hours a day 6 days a week) the money would be very good.

Some of the college kids would catch on and become good, but there are more to be hired.

Comments?

Matt

mason55
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
This has been discussed a couple of times in the internet forum I think, on the basis of doing it in a third world country. I think the turnover would be too high unless you offered a substantial portion of the profits. If any of them could play at a level where it would be a significant income to you (and I mean you personally, not a general 2+2 poster) they would be at a level where they would strike out on their own to keep 100% profits. The one idea thrown around was to BR them and watch them play and you affiliate them and profit from that. That way there's no incentive for them to leave because you're BRing them and they get all their profits and you still make some money. This wouldn't be nearly as profitable as you playing by yourself though, I wouldn't think.

Reef
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
meh. It's simply ok in theory, but realistically you would just be costing yourself money.

edit: no, it's not even ok in theory

gamblore99
04-07-2005, 01:46 PM
bad idea. i think you would just do better getting a second monitor. moving from kid to kid would be worse than just moving your mouse a few inches. the training would be enormous, and things that are obvious to you, like folding Ajo to an EP raise, seem obviously wrong to players without experience. I got into a conversation with a friend of mine who claims he is quite good (we are both in college). I was telling him how i was playing in 20-40 live, and some guy cold called a 3bet with Ajo, and the original raiser was utg. I tried to convince him this was a bad idea, but he insisted AJo is a "see the flop hand". Plus the kids might get on tilt, or they may not want to look stupid and not call you over when you should. By the time they get decent enough to have a preflop game, they will just wanna 2-4 or 3-6 it themselves. WORST IDEA EVER

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Way too much content.

Blarg
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Disapproval...hardening. Must...assume pose of Lorne Greene in Battle Galactica....best...death scene...EVER.

Loci
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that's why farmers used to have 15-20 kids a piece...
So, you should have 8-10 more kids, once they can properly work a computer start forcing them to do this for 12 hours a day and refer to it as home schooling. It may not be the best worldly education for them, but it will certainly be a way for them to make a living in the future. -AND HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE 8-10 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WHEN THEY START ON THEIR OWN???
Better yet, force a half dozen agoraphobics to move intogether. They'd never leave, so you'd always know they'd be ready for "work" and no one would ever turn over because they'd be forced to move out!
Mmmm... exploiting the helpless. I'm all warm and tingly inside.

J.R.
04-07-2005, 02:11 PM
How much of you earn is dervied from postflop play based upon specific player reads?

can you make good postflop decisions if you really have littleor no read on your opponents and will be occasionally facing concurrent or oerlapping decisions.

will your play (or your young college kids play) deteriorate (grow more tired, become tilty or less level-headed, maybe the kids will get into their heads if they do something dumb and blow a big pot, such as misclicking or failing to convey relevant info to you) with all of the chaos?

diddle
04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
comments:

I did this for a while. It's not that great after awhile. People start just playing with their own money and losing.

Edit: I created an army of gambling addicts