PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant sync problem with DSL- Help!

renodoc
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Can't figure this one out. Modem and software seem OK. DSL line loses sync for about 60-90 seconds every 15-45 min. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't play online....

Boris
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
get cable.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
do you think we are involved in the places between your dsl bridge and your isp? perhaps maybe you should call them?

Shajen
04-07-2005, 01:31 PM
do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt and get the ip address of your DNS server.

Then ping -t DNS_IP_address and see if it intermittently drops. If it does, the connection to your ISP is probably flaky. If it doesn't, you need to troubleshoot locally further.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 01:34 PM
he is referring to the sync light on the dsl bridge. loss of sync is not an internal issue unless the wiring in his home is ABYSMAL, and that's a phone issue not a lan issue. that could be proven out by running a line straight to his external phone box, but it would be retarded to do that before simply calling the isp.

renodoc
04-07-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah, it times out when I lose sync. The ISP folks blame the DSL folks.

Shajen
04-07-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he is referring to the sync light on the dsl bridge. loss of sync is not an internal issue unless the wiring in his home is ABYSMAL, and that's a phone issue not a lan issue. that could be proven out by running a line straight to his external phone box, but it would be retarded to do that before simply calling the isp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, Astro, you can't expect me to READ things people put here can you?

My bad. I reread the original question, yeah, call the ISP.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
resolution should be done through 1 group. if your isp is a reseller for covad or whatever, they should still handle the investigations.

if you're on the limits of distance to your CO sync issues can be a problem, but it can also often be corrected by slightly downgrading the speed of your connection.

constant outages are completely unacceptable though, you should be able to break the contract if they are eventually unable to resolve the problem and see if cable is available/reliable in your area.

dslreports.com are the forums you want, but call the respective people first.

renodoc
04-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes, I have my ISP calling the phone company. My line was fine for over 2 years and then this has been happening for about 3-4 weeks. Bogus.