PDA

View Full Version : Masters Tourney Thread

Clarkmeister
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
No Martha Burk this year that I've seen, the old men with the money weathered the storm.

Rain delayed first round, it's the year of the rain delay on the PGA Tour.

Jack's playing after all.

Go Tiger!

swede123
04-07-2005, 11:14 AM
It's Vijay's time to shine this year.

nolanfan34
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Tiger!

[/ QUOTE ]

I went with him and Ernie in group A in Yahoo Fantasy Golf. Tough call this year, choosing between the big 4, plus the others in that group like Adam Scott, and Goosen.

I can't wait for the weekend!!

eric5148
04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No Martha Burk this year that I've seen, the old men with the money weathered the storm.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of my favorite picture of all time:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/eric5148//feminist.jpg

drewjustdrew
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm in a pool where you pick 20 players from a list of 75. Score it by money winnings. It's good because, while everyone has the top 4 players, there is enough variation in the last 16 to make it a game.

Edge34
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he fixes whatever's been wrong with him the past few tournaments, what with missing 3-footers and such, it could be a long weekend in Augusta.

The way Tiger's been for most of this year, if he starts off with a solid round, nobody's stopping him.

holeplug
04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Rain delayed already...

BeerMoney
04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
My Picks:

Ernie Els
Shigeki Maruyama
Stuart Appleby
Fred Couples
John Daly

These guys rule!

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
eric is that a doctored pic???

Im absolutely choking on my McBreakfast.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not doctored at all.
In fact, wasn't that the same sign or guy that got up and spoke to all the feminists, and then held up that sign?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fsuplayer
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
nice. i had that as my backround for a while last year.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 11:54 AM
" What indeed, since the city, county and state police detail outnumbered protesters by at least 3-to-1. Fortunately, the only time they were needed was to move a man carrying signs that read, ''Iron My Shirts'' and ''Make My Dinner'' from in front of the NCWO stage."

Link (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=masters+protest+iron+my+shirt&btnG= Google+Search)

eric5148
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, wasn't that the same sign or guy that got up and spoke to all the feminists, and then held up that sign?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that, but from everything I read about the protest, there were a lot of Augusta Natl supporters who were quite vocal. So I don't think it's doctored.

BTW, all of my Masters bets are in this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2091773&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) Opinions on them are welcome.

trevorwc
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I also think this is the year for Tiger's 4th.

But I'm more excited to see this in Hi-Def - haven't yet experienced a golf tournament in Hi-Def yet!

HDPM
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Neither have I. The Masters should be great for hi def. I am working on HDPW to get a huge high def tv. Maybe by next year I will be watching the Masters in style. Tell us how it is please. Any recs re: high def appreciated too.

Shajen
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Go PHIL!

Back to back, and coming off a nice win at the Classic...he's got big MO on his side.

So does Jose Maria Olawokandi-Johnson-Smith too.

I pick Phil at -7

Eurotrash
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Damn, I knew I should have created the *official* Masters thread earlier this morning.. but at least somebody did /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go Tiger?? Gross.

Go Phil.

Eurotrash
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
bump because I see that Jonathan Kaye made par on 1

finally, some golf.

fsuplayer
04-07-2005, 01:58 PM
you guys are making me jealous.

i just got my new HD setup from the store, but it doesnt get delievered til i move into my new place next weekend.

damn.

diddle
04-07-2005, 02:00 PM
errrrrrrrrrrrnie

maryfield48
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I knew I should have created the *official* Masters thread earlier this morning.. but at least somebody did /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister is the Official Official Sports event thread-maker.

eric5148
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Casper is +24 through 12. He's going for 100! This is so exciting!

ClassicBob
04-07-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is doctored slightly. "Bitch" was not included on the original sign.

Edge34
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Duval at -2 through 6.

Duval at +1 through 10.

Gonna be an early weekend for my man David. Too bad...almost painful to watch knowing what'd going to happen every time...

ThisHo
04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm waiting for the "Official Masters Thread" -- until I see that I have no comment.

TJSWAN
04-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Friend just called said Tiger was putting for an eagle and it went into the drink. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Heard the greens were gonna be fast this year but come on.

Tim

eric5148
04-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Casper shoots 106. Worst score in Masters history by 11 shots. That's just hilarious.

willie
04-07-2005, 07:47 PM
gotta cheer for tiger

also padrig (sp?) harrington- poker player sibling represent!

nolanfan34
04-07-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is doctored slightly. "Bitch" was not included on the original sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I have a copy of the original pic up here in my cubicle at work, it just says Iron My Shirt. Still funny though, of course.

housenuts
04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
can someone explain to me how a guy on the pga tour can be +34. what is this guy's story?

nolanfan34
04-07-2005, 09:04 PM
He's not a current PGA player. The Masters once again allows some past champions to come back and play. Casper is a past champion.

Lame Amateur
04-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[censored] right

eric5148
04-07-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain to me how a guy on the pga tour can be +34. what is this guy's story?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you win the Masters, you get a lifetime exemption. Casper won in 1970. Casper is 74 years old, and he won't give it up. He prefers the public embarassment. The sad part is, he won 51 tournaments in his career, and got way too little credit for them.

Now he'll be the butt of a lot of jokes, and he deserves it.

HDPM
04-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I think he shot his age.

stinkypete
04-08-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
gotta cheer for tiger

also padrig (sp?) harrington- poker player sibling represent!

[/ QUOTE ]

padraig and dan are cousins.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Who's been following? David Howell really making a move. Triplett has quite a round going as well.

It's just about to come out of the weather delay..

Go Phil.

Shajen
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go PHIL!

Back to back, and coming off a nice win at the Classic...he's got big MO on his side.

So does Jose Maria Olawokandi-Johnson-Smith too.

I pick Phil at -7

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by this. I'll start watching tomorrow, can't watch today damnit.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Looks like play might be getting underway again soon.. the live video from Augusta shows squeegee teams on some holes. The galleries seem to be out from under shelter for the most part, too /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eric5148
04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Play suspended for the day. 8 am tomorrow. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

fsuplayer
04-08-2005, 04:30 PM
what a gay first two days.

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clear sign that the golf gods are pissed about something. I can't decide what it is, but I've narrowed it down to B.J. Wie, all of the copycat drivers that now have removable screws in them, or last year's US Open final round course conditions.

maryfield48
04-08-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clear sign that the golf gods are pissed about something. I can't decide what it is, but I've narrowed it down to B.J. Wie, all of the copycat drivers that now have removable screws in them, or last year's US Open final round course conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it could be that sign in the picture eric##### posted.

Lumpy
04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pga/2005/0408/photo/r_mickelson_ft.jpg

Can someone get Phil a Bro?

offTopic
04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it was the "GOLF Magazine Glamour Shots"...

http://i.timeinc.net/golfonline/images/features/features/rosales1.jpg

EEK!!!

...but it should be the LPGA tourneys that are getting rained out. Same with the BJ Wie theory.

No, somehow the mens' tour has offended the golf gods. I think it's Kenny Perry.

http://images.pgatour.com/players/images/headshots/132092.jpg

He won this year, and the golf gods took notice saying, "WTF?! This guy has won 17 million dollars?! We're canceling all the rest of the events...ever."

eric5148
04-08-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all of the copycat drivers that now have removable screws in them,

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Removable weights have been around since the 70s at least, why are you pissed about it now?

eric5148
04-08-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone get Phil a Bro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, and what does Lumpy wear?

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all of the copycat drivers that now have removable screws in them,

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Removable weights have been around since the 70s at least, why are you pissed about it now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad. I just think all of the knock-offs of the Taylor Made rQuad are funny.

eric5148
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
NEWSFLASH: TaylorMade didn't invent it.

fsuplayer
04-08-2005, 05:42 PM
tiger is hitting it pure, but getting real bad breaks.

he is going to be tough on the weekend for sure.

wouldnt be suprised to see a 66 or better tomarrrow.

pshreck
04-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I know logically it doesnt make much sense to just make them play in the rain (as it will severely hurt scores of some, and others will play after the rain has ended), but every time I see this I just think golf is such a damned wimp sport. This is coming from a golf fan too.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might gag if this happens.

Personally, I'm hoping for more drives into the pine needles and putts into hazards.

As an aside, does anybody wonder if Lanny Wadkins ever gets tired of talking about Tiger Woods? His head is so far up Tiger's ass I'm sure he can easily read the fine print on Tiger's liver. I can't [censored] stand listening to it.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Play wasn't suspended due to the rain so much as the lightning that accompanied the rain..

It's not very safe what with the metal rods they're holding in large open fields, not to mention the occasional tree

eric5148
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, does anybody wonder if Lanny Wadkins ever gets tired of talking about Tiger Woods? His head is so far up Tiger's ass I'm sure he can easily read the fine print on Tiger's liver. I can't [censored] stand listening to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wadkins is a douche. They should put McCord as the head commentator. Shit, I'd rather listen to Dottie Pepper than Wadkins.

offTopic
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wadkins is a douche. They should put McCord as the head commentator. [censored], I'd rather listen to Dottie Pepper than Wadkins.

[/ QUOTE ]

McCord is not allowed...anyway, he'd be doing 16 or 17 if he could be there.

eric5148
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
McCord is not allowed...anyway, he'd be doing 16 or 17 if he could be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, forgot about that. He should replace Wadkins at every other tournament, though.

young nut
04-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm going to the round tommorow, Saturday, should be a nice day for some golf. It's my first trip to the Augusta National, so if any of you have been, give me some suggestions on things that I must see.

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NEWSFLASH: TaylorMade didn't invent it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I can't recall another mainstream club that had 4 removeable weights, that you can mix around to get a different ball flight. Maybe I'm forgetting one?

offTopic
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Tiger's putt and Toms' non-putt got the most airtime from Round 1 (from what I saw) but I liked Allenby's reaction to his pushed putt on 16. He hits a super-fast downhiller past the hole, and then sees it's not going to stop, so he just starts walking towards the water.

Voltron87
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
What was up with the thing about a fan calling the PGA about some random rules violation in that short Tiger putt? The PGA actually listens to those? That's damn unfair to Tiger.

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was up with the thing about a fan calling the PGA about some random rules violation in that short Tiger putt? The PGA actually listens to those? That's damn unfair to Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has happened in the past. I can't recall the golfer, but I remember there was a tournament a few years back where someone waited too long to tap in a putt that was on the edge of the hole, and it fell in on its own. He got DQed for signing a wrong scorecard.

Andy North had a good rant about that on Sportscenter. He talked about how ridiculous it is that golf is the only sport where the fans can call in and complain about a possible rules violation, and potentially change the outcome. He said it would be like basketball fans being able to call in about a blown call. I think he has a point, because each group has a marker walking with them, kind of a ref in a way.

Eurotrash
04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised ... if stuff like that is seen on TV and a rules stickler witnesses it, they'll let officials know, regardless of who the person committing the infraction is

fsuplayer
04-08-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what hahappned??

Voltron87
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
I know that happens, and it's seriously [censored] up. They should not pick up the phone to listen to that. Plus, why should the way Tiger putted the ball be against the rules? Golf has a lot of stupid unnecessary rules like that.

Voltron87
04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Apparently Tiger putted from an illegal stance (a tap in after one of the putts he misses by 1/4 of an inch) and a fan called the PGA and said that was illegal, and the PGA listened to him, decided he was right and went and reviewed the tape. They ended up not penalizing him, I think, but the fact they even listened to it and then followed through on the complaint is a joke.

offTopic
04-08-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what hahappned??

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger used the toe of the putter to tap in a 1 or 2" putt. In order to do so, the caller claimed he was violating the rule that says you cannot stand astride the ball while putting (i. e., putting the ball "croquet style").

On the rec.sport.golf newsgroup, a poster said that the caller was probably Tom Pernice, Jr (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7267898/).

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why should the way Tiger putted the ball be against the rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, back in the 30s Sam Snead used to not be a great putter, so he began putting with a putter that he could use like a croquet mallet, between his legs. They outlawed that, so then he would putt side-saddle, essentially facing the hole when he putted. I've tried it before, it makes putting pretty easy IMO from short distances.

Anyway, I can't remember the menusha involved in the rule change, but essentially it had to do with the fact that you have to address the ball perpendicular to the direction that you're aiming. Tiger was facing the hole, and used the toe of his putter to tap it in, just like every amatuer does on every 2 inch tap in every single weekend.

nolanfan34
04-08-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the rec.sport.golf newsgroup, a poster said that the caller was probably Tom Pernice, Jr (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7267898/).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is freakin' hilarious.

Voltron87
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Minutia?

Eh... seems like a stupid rule. I can see how the PGA should regulate club/balls and all, but stance is stance, let people put their feet where they want.

ClaytonN
04-08-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This has happened in the past. I can't recall the golfer, but I remember there was a tournament a few years back where someone waited too long to tap in a putt that was on the edge of the hole, and it fell in on its own. He got DQed for signing a wrong scorecard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian Gay, I think it was the Honda Classic.

I have a rain-man like approach to golf trivia.

The more famous instance occurred a decade or two ago when a viewer called in to bitch that Criag Stadler made an illegal built stance by putting his knees on a towel to hit a ball that was uner some low-lying tree branches. It cost him a few penalty strokes and something like a few ten thousand g's.

eric5148
04-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I distinctly remember the Brian Gay incident, and I remember a rules official talking to him and showing him a video of the putt immediately after the round, before he signed his card. It must have been a different tournament.

eric5148
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
why should the way Tiger putted the ball be against the rules?

IIRC, back in the 30s Sam Snead used to not be a great putter, so he began putting with a putter that he could use like a croquet mallet, between his legs. They outlawed that, so then he would putt side-saddle, essentially facing the hole when he putted. I've tried it before, it makes putting pretty easy IMO from short distances.

Anyway, I can't remember the menusha involved in the rule change, but essentially it had to do with the fact that you have to address the ball perpendicular to the direction that you're aiming. Tiger was facing the hole, and used the toe of his putter to tap it in, just like every amatuer does on every 2 inch tap in every single weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year I was playing a tournament and some weenie kept bitching at me about this rule.

What I did was tap in a 6 inch putt standing behind the ball, using the back of my putter. I tried explaining to him the reason why they have the rule is so that people can't putt croquet style all the time, like Snead did. It shouldn't matter if it's just a tap in. But he didn't care about logical reasoning, so I had to stop doing it.

JTrout
04-09-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to the round tommorow, Saturday, should be a nice day for some golf. It's my first trip to the Augusta National, so if any of you have been, give me some suggestions on things that I must see

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the whole course (skip 4 & 5). And if you get a chance (another rain delay) check out the par 3 course. It is a little piece of heaven on earth.

JTrout
04-09-2005, 01:29 AM
I don't think Brian Gay was DQ'd. It cost him getting in a playoff, if memory serves.
Azinger was DQ'd (I think) years back for kicking a pebble out from under his foot while preparing to hit his ball out of a water hazard. Viewer calls in. Tape is reviewed. Next day Azinger finds out about it. Sux.

Eurotrash
04-09-2005, 09:04 AM
obligatory bump for the start of the 2nd round, finally /images/graemlins/cool.gif

DiMarco already with a quick birdie takes outright lead at -6

Zeno
04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
How are Mr. Mashie and Mr. Niblik doing? And when do we get to the gun/shooting part? This first phase with clubs and balls is quickly getting old and boring.

Le Misanthrope

slickpoppa
04-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Tiger is making a comeback....-4 through 12 in round 2

eric5148
04-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Doodz! These live streaming videos at 6 and 12 are awesome.

fsuplayer
04-09-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tiger is -5 thru 13.

I play g00t! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sponger15SB
04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tiger is -5 thru 13.

I play g00t! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out though he might shoot a 14 on the 16th hole like Billy Casper.

eric5148
04-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Nice call with the 66. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frickin Olazabal is +9. I had 3 different bets on him, which I lost. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

fsuplayer
04-09-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice call with the 66. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frickin Olazabal is +9. I had 3 different bets on him, which I lost. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he may be one of my least favorite players on tour.

talk about no charisma. ugh.

ClaytonN
04-09-2005, 02:23 PM
DiMarco is pwning the field right now. 6 shot lead. That is sick.

I always thought he would win a major, but not wire to wire.

My guess is he'll have a 2-3 shot lead on either Tiger or Vijay going into the final round. Should be interesting.

eric5148
04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. DiMarco doesn't exactly have a great track record holding leads.

Bill Murphy
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Dimarco & Bjorn teeing off at 5:45=preposterous. Gonna be lucky to get 9 holes. Already pretty squinty. Makes no sense at all; they shoulda been out there at 7am to finish up the second round, so now they'll be out really early Sunday when its all on the line? Fvcking sucks we won't be able to watch the leaders play the back nine of the third round; not like anything important is likely to happen. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But, hey, it's their tournament...

Dimarco is a terrible front runner(and Bjorn ain't that great of one either) but he may be too far ahead( 3 over Bjorn and 5 over Tiger) as I type this. He'll have to play the back nine twice tomorrow, so who knows. Anyone else other than Bjorn & Woods is gonna need a 64-3 tomorrow plus some help.

Really going out on a limb, huh?

partygirluk
04-09-2005, 07:00 PM
FWIW you can listen live from www.bbc.co.uk/radiofive (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiofive)

Eurotrash
04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dimarco & Bjorn teeing off at 5:45=preposterous. Gonna be lucky to get 9 holes. Already pretty squinty. Makes no sense at all; they shoulda been out there at 7am to finish up the second round, so now they'll be out really early Sunday when its all on the line? Fvcking sucks we won't be able to watch the leaders play the back nine of the third round; not like anything important is likely to happen. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But, hey, it's their tournament...

Dimarco is a terrible front runner(and Bjorn ain't that great of one either) but he may be too far ahead( 3 over Bjorn and 5 over Tiger) as I type this. He'll have to play the back nine twice tomorrow, so who knows. Anyone else other than Bjorn & Woods is gonna need a 64-3 tomorrow plus some help.

Really going out on a limb, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the coverage of this year's tournament is kind of ass. Can't CBS afford a few more early afternoon hours for golf?

Tiger makes the turn at -5 for the day, -9 for the championship.. I can pretty much see where this is going, and it makes me have to choke down some vomit. DiMarco's front 9 today, while very nice, had all the makings of being a total disaster.

It's going to take some kind of Herculean effort for DiMarco to hold off Tiger tomorrow. I really hope he can manage it.

slickpoppa
04-09-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm predicting tiger wins by 2

ClaytonN
04-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I just can't see DiMarco holding on.

He impressed me with his saves, but we saw how he handled being in the final pairing last year. Imagine that, plus having Tiger on your ass.

Ready for this one?

Tiger wins by four.

Eurotrash
04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ready for this one?

Tiger wins by four.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dreading something similar.. although maybe closer to what slickpoppa suggested.

Regardless, Tiger is going to end up as the world number one again. blech.

Bill Murphy
04-09-2005, 08:31 PM
I think Tiger will win by one, in a playoff. He's never won a major from behind, but I see him doing DiMarco like he did Phil at Doral.

Then again he's never shot a 61 in a final round of a major either; you know he's gonna do it at some point, he was blazing today, so yeah he could win by four. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif He's certainly much stronger(physically & mentally) than CDM or Bjorn, although Bjorn popsicled him in Dubai a few years back.

Actually the more I think about it, the more like Doral this seems.

BTW sounds like a lot of players are p1ssed about the delays and screwups getting the third round going. Guess Goose & Shingo tee off on 1. Turns out they shouldn't be playing together AND they both should be starting on 10. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

slickpoppa
04-09-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ready for this one?

Tiger wins by four.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dreading something similar.. although maybe closer to what slickpoppa suggested.

Regardless, Tiger is going to end up as the world number one again. blech.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got bored when Tiger went on his ridiculous run in 2000, but I don't think he will ever be as dominant again because his competition has improved. On any given day, I think the other 3 of the big 4 can at least give Tiger a run for his money.

holeplug
04-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Put me in the DiMarco crumbles camp too. He hasn't had too good of a history when the pressure is on and even today his ball striking was pretty poor but his putting saved him.

Plus you gotta think Tiger is saying to himself "There is no way Chris freaking DiMarco is denying me a 4th green jacket" and just blows him away tomorrow.

Eurotrash
04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's certainly much stronger(physically & mentally) than CDM or Bjorn, although Bjorn popsicled him in Dubai a few years back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only memory I have of Thomas Bjorn is him trying to dig his way out of a greenside bunker at the Open Championship, practically handing Ben Curtis the Claret Jug. He's lucky that Jean Van de Velde set the bar for Open Championship chokes extraordinarily high.

I'm staying optimistic:

- Phil might run off 6 birds in a row on the back and follow it up with a 62 or so in the fourth round

- DiMarco's mangled hand grip rolls just enough birdies in to fend off the Tiger.

Tiger has just been hitting the ball to damnably straight, he's overdue for something in the trees

Bill Murphy
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm staying optimistic:

- Phil might run off 6 birds in a row on the back and follow it up with a 62 or so in the fourth round

- DiMarco's mangled hand grip rolls just enough birdies in to fend off the Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no hope for anyone other than the top three. CDM is defo a horse for this course; just seems to fit his game perfectly. He didn't come thru at Whistling Straits or the Match Play, but he's playing great right now. But if Tiger stays hot, it'll go just like Doral did.

[ QUOTE ]
Tiger has just been hitting the ball to damnably straight, he's overdue for something in the trees

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was Thursday. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill Murphy
04-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Tiger beats DiMarco on first playoff hole.

Eurotrash
04-09-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no hope for anyone other than the top three.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I was just joking.. I'm a total Mickelson homer, so it's tough for me to see him right in the thick of it this morning only to fall out of contention by the afternoon.

[ QUOTE ]
But if Tiger stays hot, it'll go just like Doral did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only agree with this, except I really don't think Bjorn has the horses to run this race.

I'm just praying that the claw-grip leads to a new Masters champion.

andyfox
04-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Tiger, by four strokes.

nolanfan34
04-10-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tiger, by four strokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left out the word BOLD in your subject line.

It's funny, he's behind right now, but I have a hard time picturing him not winning.

ClaytonN
04-10-2005, 01:12 AM
That'd hardly a bold prediction.

B Mando
04-10-2005, 01:16 AM
I promise his ugly swing will far apart in the 4th round. He has no chance. Look for one of the real golfers to come from behind and teach him how to play on sunday.

JTrout
04-10-2005, 01:50 AM
DiMarco will be slipping into a green jacket Sunday evening. There's more to golf than a pretty swing.

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DiMarco will be slipping into a green jacket Sunday evening. There's more to golf than a pretty swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to second this bold prediction that DiMarco wins.

by a stroke.

fsuplayer
04-10-2005, 02:05 AM
despite your loathing of tiger, you are easily one of my top 5 favorite posters.

tiger by 2. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
despite your loathing of tiger, you are easily one of my top 5 favorite posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what to say, fsuplayer.

i never knew you felt that way. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

fsuplayer
04-10-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what to say, fsuplayer.

i never knew you felt that way. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably should have prefaced that with a witty quote or something, but i am far too lazy to do that.

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i probably should have prefaced that with a witty quote or something, but i am far too lazy to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif i don't get it.

ty for the kind words about being a good poster, though. I try. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

partygirluk
04-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Tiger is on a roll.

holeplug
04-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Wow!! Can you say over already? Tiger has birded 7 in a row and DiMarco doubled the 10th.

And of course we can't watch any of this because Augusta/CBS is retarded!

Zoltri
04-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I cant believe we are missing this. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
He is on pace to possibly break the course record and major tournament record.

zaxx19
04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
HOLY CRAP, I JUST AWOKE FROM A PASSED OUT STUPOR AND WOODS IS GOING INSANE.

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to second this bold prediction that DiMarco wins.

by a stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to change my prediction /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 11:52 AM
just getting underway. final pairing of Woods (-11) and DiMarco (-8) off at 3 PM. Funny how golf managed to pair Singh and Mickelson who had the spat over Phil's spikes (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters05/news/story?id=2033103)

because Chris DiMarco decided to fold extra early, I'm going to make truly the boldest prediction yet -

based on Tiger's rough finish (bogeying 2 of the last 5), I think he's got big time negative mo'. I think Phil is going to go low today (think 64ish) and Woods has an up and down day, finishing at E. Mickelson defends in one of the greatest Masters finishes since.. well.. last year. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

andyfox
04-10-2005, 12:00 PM
And Tiger leads by three going into the final round. I may not have given him enough credit.

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Not as funny as that one of Phil at Doral, but this made me chuckle

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AUH122041011_lower.jpg

B Mando
04-10-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why I comment on his swing is because he is not a pure ball striker. Under pressure his swing will fall apart and will start to hit terrible shots. Not to mention he putts like a clown. I, of course, will look like a giant fool in about 6 hours when he is wearing the green jacket. I just really think he doesnt have what it takes. He has been in this position before and choked twice. I also remember him doing this at the International.

WHOA just checked the scores on tgc...Tiger by three going into the final round. Forget it...Tiger has got this thing by at least 4 shots. Game Over.

PhatTBoll
04-10-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny how golf managed to pair Singh and Mickelson who had the spat over Phil's spikes

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see Phil brain him with his putter while Vijay was lining one up. Can't CBS slip him a check to make sure this happens?

B Mando
04-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I hope they both shoot 40 going out and start [censored] with each other on the back nine. I was looking forward to this sunday but it looks like Tiger is just oging to run away with it. I need some entertainment from phil and vijay...lets throw some gas on the fire kids

slickpoppa
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Tiger is on fire, but Dimarco has not backed down yet....

slickpoppa
04-10-2005, 03:50 PM
ugh, two big birdie opportunities blown by dimarco

mmbt0ne
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
HOLY CRAP, I JUST AWOKE FROM A PASSED OUT STUPOR AND WOODS IS GOING INSANE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I didn't watch any yesterday to set up for a party, and then I was trashed all night, so no SportsCenter. I just went to ESPN to check on something, and saw Tiger's up by 4. Jebus. I guess he can still pwn with the best of them when his swing works.

[censored]
04-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Final Day 13th hole TWoods has a 2 shot lead.

fsuplayer
04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
this tourney is awesome.

woods by 1 with dimaro 3 ft for birdie and woods and eagle chance on 15.

[censored]
04-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Woods just blew a put /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 06:38 PM
WOODS COZIED UP AGAINST THE SECOND CUT. SMELLS LIKE 4.

Go Chris. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

edit: not fringe

DireWolf
04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Wow
unreal chip

slickpoppa
wow

[censored]
OMG OMG OMG OMG

Soul Daddy
04-10-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow
unreal chip

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored]!

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I am such a reverse jinx. fcuk.

to quote Garth Algar, "I think I'm gonna hurl" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sponger15SB
04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OMG OMG OMG OMG

[/ QUOTE ]

That was incredible. Insane. Me and my roomate were flipping out.

Homer
04-10-2005, 06:50 PM
And then he follows it up with a horrendous drive on 17.

partygirluk
04-10-2005, 06:52 PM
That chip on 16 will linger long in the memory.

[censored]
Looks like he is going to lose a shot here on 17.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 shot swing...

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bet on it.. although it'd be pretty sweet if he chunks that chip into the trap

Homer
04-10-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 shot swing...

[/ QUOTE ]

ruh roh

partygirluk
04-10-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He will do well to bogey the 17th.

bd8802
04-10-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although it'd be pretty sweet if he chunks that chip into the trap

[/ QUOTE ]

that would have been nice ... but missing the green works too

[censored]
04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 shot swing...

[/ QUOTE ]

ruh roh

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go 18th 1 shot.

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 shot swing...

[/ QUOTE ]

ruh roh

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go 18th 1 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger in 2nd cut, possibly sidehill lie. I think they'll both par, though.

[censored]
04-10-2005, 07:03 PM
I think you are right. Dimarrco seems to be slightly wilting so I don't seem him hitting a long put which is what it is going to take.

fsuplayer
04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
this thing is over. dimarco just rolled off the 18th green.

gg chris.

partygirluk
04-10-2005, 07:05 PM
just had £2 on Di Marco to make things interesting........oh dear, he hits that approach on 18 just a little bit harder and it makes all the difference.

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 shot swing...

[/ QUOTE ]

ruh roh

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go 18th 1 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger in 2nd cut, possibly sidehill lie. I think they'll both bogey, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

mostsmooth
[ QUOTE ]

gg chris.

[/ QUOTE ]
at least you didnt talk too soon

[censored]
Not so fast horrible shot by Tiger.

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:09 PM
OMG, that was for the win.

PhatTBoll
holy crap. what a kick in the nuts

partygirluk
wow, thought that was in for a sec.

slickpoppa
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
almost creamed my pants there

diddle
I did

[censored]
Christ, I turn away for sec and the damn thing almost ends.

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Playoff!

slickpoppa
04-10-2005, 07:12 PM
3 years ago tiger makes that

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, he makes it this morning.

slickpoppa
04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
playoff baby!!!!

partygirluk
[ QUOTE ]

gg chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

you were saying?

diddle
CLUTCH

Homer
If someone doesn't win it by the 2nd hole, they're going to have to finish tomorrow.

[censored]
I want to pick Tiger but he seems to be getting worse not beyter minus the miracle shot.

Eurotrash
IN-FCUKING-CREDIBLE

PhatTBoll
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow, what a final round.

The crazy thing is that DiMarco is about 3 total inches away from winning this thing by 5 shots.

Homer
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to pick Tiger but he seems to be getting worse not beyter minus the miracle shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't make up my mind. I have $500 riding on Tiger, yet I want DiMarco to win.

Eurotrash
04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because of the [censored] wifey!

Homer
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't make up my mind. I have $500 riding on Tiger, yet I want DiMarco to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

DiMarco is now available at 40 on WSEX. They're essentially saying he's a 3:2 dog on a one-hole playoff, which is pretty nuts.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason this makes my brain spasm.

partygirluk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DiMarco is now available at 40 on WSEX. They're essentially saying he's a 3:2 dog on a one-hole playoff, which is pretty nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

betfair have it

1.64 woods
2.62 di marco

Nate tha' Great
04-10-2005, 07:26 PM
The back nine have turned me into a golf fan.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

eric5148
04-10-2005, 07:29 PM
DiMarco's gonna nail the chip, Tiger will make the bird.

eric5148
04-10-2005, 07:30 PM
or not

ChromePony
04-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm stuck without TV right now, and watching the leaderboard refresh every minute or so is killing me and its a little hard to piece together from all the one line posts. Anyone care to fill me in on what happened, how did Tiger blow it like that??

mostsmooth
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
money

JinX11
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Boo. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

eric5148
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Tiger won. He birdied the first playoff hole.

ChromePony
04-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Periodic playoff updates such as 'Tiger's in the rough' 'DiMarco's on the green' would be welcome too, if someone's bored.

Subfallen
Is the Master's replayed at all? I missed it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Fing kidding me?

Got any stock tips?

ChromePony
04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh...that was easy. This whole 'live' leaderboard thing must be pretty far behind, thanks.

eric5148
I'm sure it'll be replayed on the Golf Channel sometime.

Eurotrash
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, sir. vn.

Clarkmeister
04-11-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Tiger!

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan34
04-11-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go Tiger!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the king of going back, finding times that you made a good prediction, and bumping said prediction. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Clarkmeister
04-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Wasn't a prediction, just my personal rooting interest.

nolanfan34
04-11-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't a prediction, just my personal rooting interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was one hell of a final round, either way.

Eurotrash
04-11-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go Tiger!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boooooo.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

B Mando
04-11-2005, 02:08 AM
I started screaming like that guy from WSOP when tiger holed out on 16. Another funny thing is that all my roommates and myself kept on saying Dimarco was going to hole out on 18 for th birdie...when the ball hit the hole we all went nuts. It was a great tournament...best I have seen in a long time. I was shocked at how well Dimarco handled himself. I thought he played fantastic under the circumstances. I was convinced he was going to shoot 74 or something and not even make it close. Was it me or did Tiger seem WAY too relaxed after he holed out on 16? He started joking on the next tee and almost gave it away on 17 and 18. He also seemed very excited to have won...even more so than usual. I was very happy to see him win for some reason...and very sad for DiMarco at the same time even though I used to think the guy was trash. It was certainly a memorable sunday at the masters.

Eurotrash
04-11-2005, 02:10 AM
a member of the Tiger camp?

how do people cheer for that guy.. damn.

Clarkmeister
04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not cheer for him is a better question.

nolanfan34
04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cheer for him the same way I cheered for Michael Jordan. I'm not a Bulls fan, and was never a Jordan fan per se, but I recognize when I'm seeing something special, that I'll tell the grandkids about someday. Tiger is the same way. I want to see history made, and him winning majors is part of that.

JTrout
04-11-2005, 12:27 PM
My hats off to DiMarco for making it interesting. 68 (2nd best score of the day) while paired with Tiger was impressive.

As for Tiger- wow. 7 consecutive birdies... and #16...
It should be an interesting summer!

HDPM
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Exactly. I root for tiger for other reasons too, but seeing him is seeing history made. I get the sense the anti-tiger crowd would have gone to a Salieri (sp?) concert instead of a Mozart concert when they were both alive. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fsuplayer
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cheer for him the same way I cheered for Michael Jordan. I'm not a Bulls fan, and was never a Jordan fan per se, but I recognize when I'm seeing something special, that I'll tell the grandkids about someday. Tiger is the same way. I want to see history made, and him winning majors is part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurotrash
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you not cheer for him is a better question.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I have my reasons. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I respect his incredible talent and all, and I realize that him breaking Jack's major championship total would be historic and great blah blah, but there's just something about him that I just don't enjoy cheering for. It's like a combination of the Nike "attitude" and sponsorship and the fact that I just didn't really enjoy seeing him dominate the game the way he did in the stretch back around 1999-2001.

Phil is my favorite golfer and I'd much rather see him add to his major championship resume. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I think he's going to take at least the US Open this year.

edit: i should probably clarify here that I do enjoy Tiger's incredible shotmaking ability and that it makes for excellent golf which is great to watch.. i just also enjoy his reactions when he blocks one right into the trees or another fairway. /images/graemlins/wink.gif so when it comes down to it, I'd just rather see somebody else win.

oh, and I'm sure another contributing factor to my dislike of Tiger would be some of the golf commentators' (Lanny Wadkins, looking at you here primarily, but he's not the only one) tendency to deify him during broadcasts; you'd think that Tiger was always getting bad breaks and that he'd never made a bad stroke in his life, and it's only because he's got such "concentration" that he escapes the situations with par instead of a triple.

HDPM
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Lanny may be guilty, but nantz didn't give Tiger enough credit for the shot on 16 yesterday. "Well he has to win and maybe it is one of the best shots in Masters history...." If he wins it's one of the best shots in golf history. Nantz gets sentimental on a guy barfing up a pimento cheese sandwich into the pine straw, but then downplayed Tiger's shot???????