PDA

View Full Version : Getting a dog

kurosh
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I've been trying to find a dog to adopt/buy but everything online hasn't been updated in a year at the least. I've checked out the local shelters but nothing there matches what I'm looking for. I want a small/medium and young dog that sheds very little, if at all. I think a basenji or some kind of terrier would be best.

Anyone know some good places I can look? I've tried petfinder.org and yahoo's pet listings.

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to find a dog to adopt/buy but everything online hasn't been updated in a year at the least. I've checked out the local shelters but nothing there matches what I'm looking for. I want a small/medium and young dog that sheds very little, if at all. I think a basenji or some kind of terrier would be best.

Anyone know some good places I can look? I've tried petfinder.org and yahoo's pet listings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a good person you'll keep checking the humane society.

If you're a bad person (in animal rights' activist's eyes) you can go to akc.org and find a breeder for whatever breed you want and buy from a breeder. It's really easy to find a breeder for pretty much any breed anywhere in the US. Be prepared to drop some change because the dog will probably have papers and stuff like that.

swede123
04-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Is money a consideration? If not just find a breeder that breeds exactly what you want. That way you know the animals' parents, can check on genetic defects and get help with any questions you have.

Then again, going the shelter route probably saves some mutt's life and often times you don't have to deal with all the puppy stuff (house training, destroying shoes/furniture). If you do decide to get a dog from a shelter you have to be Jonny on the spot, 'cause as soon as someone brings in some cute puppies there will be lots of people wanting to adopt them.

Swede

Slow Play Ray
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good person you'll keep checking the humane society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. This is the only way to go, IMO. Just be patient and keep checking, you will find a dog you want in due time. No need to pay for a dog - mutts always make the best pets anyway. I wouldn't trade my black lab/springer spaniel for ANYTHING; she has more personality than 90% of the people I know.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Check the newspapers and penny-shopper/thrifty-nickel/greensheet.

BretWeir
04-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Keep checking petfinder.org. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to find one you're looking for nearby, but it's worth it. I have two great dogs from shelters that I found through there.

TStoneMBD
04-08-2005, 12:51 AM
dont get a dog at the shelter. most of these dogs have been poorly treated their whole lives and will take it out on you. they have psychological problems.

only get a dog from a shelter if hes a little baby. you dont want him having any poor life experiences whatsoever otherwise hes going to shat all over your carpet. you wont find any straight bred puppies, so you wont know what youre getting with inherent personality traits, but one nice thing about mutts is that they live longer, if that matters.

get it from a breeder or pet shop.

pshreck
04-08-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want a small/medium and young dog that sheds very little, if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7797/16e41gr.jpg

Again... Boston Terrier is the perfect dog.

I found my breeder on puppies.com, and I had literally hundreds of choices for this breed alone.

PhatTBoll
04-08-2005, 01:04 AM
If you live near a city of any kind of size you will find plenty of options in the newpaper.

Felix_Nietsche
04-08-2005, 01:27 AM
"I want a small/medium and young dog that sheds very little, if at all."
95% of dogs shed hair. My brother has a dalmation, which has the very short bristly hair, and it is all over his house. Just don't where black slacks and sit down on his couch unless you like little back/white hairs on your a$$. But there is a downside to dogs that do not shed. You have to get them clipped or after a few months they look like sheep. The bigger the dog, the more it costs to get them clipped... So choose between having dog hair all over your house or getting you dog clipped. If you want a dog the does NOT shed, I recommend a poodle. They are very smart and very athletic dogs. I know a woman how has a black standard size(BIG!) poodle and this dog chases down deer and herds the deer back to her (she needs to carry a spear!). She also owns a dog walking business and takes 5/6 dogs at a time and lets them run free in large open spaces. Sometimes the dogs don't want to come back so she has trained her poodle to chase down the run-aways, grab them by the collar, and drag them back. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But since your looking at a smaller dog then the shedding problem won't be as bad as my brother's 50lb dalamation...

I think a basenji or some kind of terrier would be best.
Terriers are great dogs. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I do NOT like Basenjis. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
An ex-GF of mine had a Basenji and that dog was a pain-in-the-***. She had a book on Basenjis which explained their origins are from Africa and that their personalities can be "challenging"... I suppose with lots of discipline and training a Basenji could be a good pet but I would get a breed which starts with a more agreeable personality...