PDA

View Full Version : PLH: Implied Odds

sk1dzz
10-25-2002, 02:43 PM
5/5 potlimit holdem game. It's not a very remarkable hand but it got me thinking about implied odds. I open-raise ($20) from the cutoff with A6d. I have a reputation for being a tight player and only the BB defends. BB is a solid (if a little too aggressive) player. This is from a home game and we're both mostly familiar with each other's playing styles. Flop comes 4 4 8 with 2 diamonds. BB checks, I check because the BB loves to checkraise and I can't take that heat with this hand. Turn comes a black Q. He bets pot ($45) and I smooth called in about 2 seconds.

Here's my thinking on the call. Please help my identify if I correctly calculated my implied odds, or whether I'm suffering from results-oriented bias. The BB also seems to bet pot on the turn (and succeeds in taking it down) when the flop has been checked (heads-up and multiway) a disproportionate number of times, so I figure there's a slight chance my A6 is good. I rarely smooth-call on a draw and give my opponent maybe a 15% chance of putting me on the flush draw. I also figured that since he would not put me on the flush draw, I would get paid (in some manner) if a diamond comes on the river. The river comes the J of diamonds. He bets pot ($135), I raise to $300 total, he says "sh*t, I guess I have to pay you" and calls.

I guess the underlying question is: was my thinking in this situation at all similar to how you guys calculate implied odds?

Scott...

Lurker
10-28-2002, 10:49 AM
You put in $45 on the turn on a 4:1 shot and got $300 out on the river...sounds good to me! Your read said that you weren't drawing dead, so if you didn't win the pot the mistake was in your read, not in your call on the turn.

L.

10-28-2002, 08:59 PM
You know all this stuff I'm sure.
Sorry to state the obvious.

Any of the three actions could be right:
Call: he is likely to bluff a diamond/check otherwise on the river.
Raise: he is likely to fold, but not check to your ace on the river.
Fold: He's going to put you on your hand.