PDA

View Full Version : Blocking bet...

Abu Turab
04-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Could someone please explain this concept to me as it applies to playing NL.

Thanx.

Pov
04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
This is an advanced concept. The basic idea is that you are first to act (probably heads up) and you want to have a showdown as cheaply as possible or be able to get away if clearly beaten. An example (I'll talk in tournament chips but the same idea applies to cash games):

You think that if you check your opponent will bet some amount, let's just say T3000 whether he has the goods or not. You would have to call this bet with your marginal hand because you aren't sure he isn't bluffing after you showed weakness by checking.

So maybe you bet T2000
a) to prevent a small bluff and
b) hoping that if he has the cards he will just call

Notice what has happened. If your opponent was going to bluff, he now has to invest at least T4000 to do it and probably quite a bit more since you've already shown you like our hand enough to bet T2000.

Even if your opponent does have you marginally beaten, he is likely to just call which saves you T1000 since he would have bet T3000 you would have had to call if you checked.

If he does go ahead and raise you can much more safely fold since it is much less likely he is bluffing and even though you "lost" T2000 on your bet, you still saved T1000 because you would have checked and called more than you bet and folded.

That's my understanding of the play. Others may be able to elaborate further. I have not had occassion to really use this type of bet to any great extent mostly because I don't regularly play the same people enough for me to know how much they are likely to bet in these types of situations to any degree of certainty. Like I said, it is an advanced play.

Abu Turab
04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
thanx. I think that sums it up pretty good.

Paul2432
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
In NL cash games against very good players be careful. Some will recognize a blocking bet for what it is and bluff-raise knowing you intend to fold to a raise.

As a counter-strategy make sure some of your river bets with strong hands are about the same size.

Note that one third to one half the size of the pot is a reasonable bet size here.

Paul

elmitchbo
04-10-2005, 12:38 PM
you may also hear the term "probe bet", which is a similar thing. basically you're just putting money out there to see where you stand. it's paying for information. if he calls or raises you have a better understanding of where you stand in the hand. the probe and block are usually about the same amount... 1/3 to 1/2 the pot.