PDA

View Full Version : Weird Vitamins or Supplements

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Anyone take anything that they really, really like?

Some lady insisted I try a kelp supplement for eneregy today and I felt pretty good, especially considering I went the day without caffeine, usually a staple of my diet.

Is there anything any of you swear by?

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
If you need to concentrate intensley or have symptoms related or associated with adult "ADD" this is the shizz:

web page (http://www.add-adhd-help-center.com/attend_add_adhd.htm)

It also helped me regulate my sleep...which begs a question why am I up at 5:23 AM ??

ITS GOOD
unfortunately it is not cheap so....keep that in mind.
No pun intended. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Liquid choline chloride. Way better than coffee without any of the jitteriness or any other negative side affects. Makes you feel very sharp and clear, and supposedly even helps remove fat from around the heart.

I also like plain old vitamin C an awful lot. It plays a part in regulating the sugar in your system and your energy metabolism, evening out the highs and lows you can go through. That in turn has a tremendous effect on your mental state and your emotional state, as anyone who has ever had a hypoglycemic friend knows. I find it a big help later in the afternoon when my energy starts to flag, or after a meal, to prevent me from getting too groggy.

And you can take an awful lot of it without worry, as it is water soluble and you just pee it out. If you're exceptionally sensitive to it because of some strange medical condition or take amounts that would stagger an elephant, you can have an increased risk of kidneystones, but the chances of that happening is extremely small. Anyway, I usually take half a gram or more at a time, sometimes three or four times that, and it's a great pick-me-up. Sometimes when I go out, I'll even take a few 500 milligram chewable tablets of it wrapped in a napkin in my pocket, and use it to perk me up when I start to get tired.

Rushmore
04-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Phenylalanine.

It is an animo acid which stimulates production of seratonin in the brain.

For me, it has a distinct and marked effect. More clarity, more energy, and a general overall better demeanor. I would recommend it to anyone.

mason55
04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Creatine. That stuff works wonders.

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phenylalanine.

For me, it has a distinct and marked effect. More clarity, more energy, and a general overall better demeanor. I would recommend it to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a grocery store type supplement, or a little more difficult to find?

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 03:19 PM
You have ADD? Who would have thunk it.

zagosh
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I was watching a call in show the other night with Daniel Negreanu as the guest. He was going down the (long) list of his promotions, when he mentioned he was coming out with a "poker vitamin". I initially dismissed it as sarcasm, but later on decided that I would not be suprized at all if he were to actually do this.

mason55
04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a call in show the other night with Daniel Negreanu as the guest. He was going down the (long) list of his promotions, when he mentioned he was coming out with a "poker vitamin". I initially dismissed it as sarcasm, but later on decided that I would not be suprized at all if he were to actually do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is 100% confirmed. he talks about it pretty often.

Blarg
04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phenylalanine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a grocery store type supplement, or a little more difficult to find?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually one of the amino acids they use to sweeten diet soda.

Watch out, it can be really hard on you if you're sensitive to it. Bowel troubles, can make you feel VERY spacy, give you whopping headaches, etc. It can definitely perk you up, though. But a little goes a very long way indeed.

Boris
04-07-2005, 04:21 PM
mildy steamed carrots. they are the nuts.

OtisTheMarsupial
04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mildy steamed carrots and nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

better

xorbie
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gvibes
04-07-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I wouldn't define it as weird.

Ianco15
04-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I take the following supplements:

Before Breakfast:
-carnitine
-branch chain amino acids

After/during breakfast:
-CLA
-all natural multi-vitamin
-aged garlic
-flax seed oil
-creatine monohydrate

After workout:
-whey protein
-glutamine

After/during dinner:
-CLA

Before bed:
-ZMA

look here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/infopages.html) if you don't know what these do.

Ship__It.

Ianco15
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
My goal is to get huge but to stay cut. I am 6'3" 182 right now.

Ship__It.

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Creatine is not needed. I am not trying to get big.

I meant vitamins/supplements that people take to feel good or healthy.

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are only about 70 pounds from being huge.

Good Luck.

Ianco15
04-07-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are only about 70 pounds from being huge.

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at me. typo. I meant to say not get huge. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ship__It.

gvibes
04-07-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably get some more interesting discussion from anti-aging sites than bobdybuilding sites.

mason55
04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably get some more interesting discussion from anti-aging sites than bobdybuilding sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

And quack hippie doctors.

mcb
04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jstnrgrs
04-07-2005, 09:39 PM
steroids

b0000000000m
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
If you like Phenylalaline, you'll love l-tyrosine. Phenylalanine is just a precursor to l-tyrosine, and the body doesn't even do a very good job of converting it. Just go straight to the good stuff. Take the l-tyro with 25-100mg of B6 and you're off to the races. BTW, get n-acetyl l-tyrosine instead of plain l-tyrosine--it's more readily absorbed and less prone to urinary secretion.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/tyrosinesn.html

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like Phenylalaline, you'll love l-tyrosine. Phenylalanine is just a precursor to l-tyrosine, and the body doesn't even do a very good job of converting it. Just go straight to the good stuff. Take the l-tyro with 25-100mg of B6 and you're off to the races. BTW, get n-acetyl l-tyrosine instead of plain l-tyrosine--it's more readily absorbed and less prone to urinary secretion.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/tyrosinesn.html

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking about starting tyrosine. it works pretty well?

ps: you do (or did?) play on pacific right?

gumpzilla
04-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Out of curiosity, will phenylketonurics still have problems with that stuff?

Diseases that I know about strictly because of diet soda are awesome.

b0000000000m
04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I believe they will not have a problem with it, because phenylketonuria is caused by mutations in the gene for phenylalanine hydroxylase, the enzyme that converts l-phenylalanine to l-tyrosine.

b0000000000m
04-07-2005, 11:20 PM
a) l-tyrosine is amazing. Take it when you first wake up, on an empty stomach. Don't eat anything for at least half an hour--and if you must eat anything, make sure it doesn't contain protein.

b) yes.

SithLord69
04-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (fish oil pills). About $8 per thousand at Sam's Club. 6 before bed so as to avoid daytime fish burps. Started to take it for the reported heath benefits and got an unexpected surprise.

Rock. Hard. Wood.

SpearsBritney
04-08-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (fish oil pills). About $8 per thousand at Sam's Club. 6 before bed so as to avoid daytime fish burps. Started to take it for the reported heath benefits and got an unexpected surprise.

Rock. Hard. Wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

whos?