PDA

View Full Version : What is Sutton Thinking?

HDPM
10-25-2002, 12:04 PM
What is Hal Sutton thinking here. He is calling Tiger out in the media. If I were Tiger I'd take this as my chance to pass on the Ryder Cup next time. web page (http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/friday/sports_d38b5c06505aa08900ea.html)

I hope Sutton told Woods he was going to say this before, but I doubt it. Maybe he and Tiger have some relationship that can allow this, but I would not play on Sutton's team were I woods. Sutton would also not have a chance to "go out on a limb and talk" to me about it either. Sutton is acting like a college football coach and should be rewarded by the players turning pro that week. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

andyfox
10-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Well, Woods had said the Ryder Cup wasn't that important to him and Sutton is asking him to make it important. I don't see anything wrong with what Sutton said.

I do think Sutton is wrong when he says more "zeal" will result in a win. Let's face it, they have better players that we have. No disrespect towards the Furyks and the Hochs and the Azingers, but it's not surprising to me that our team doesn't win.

By the way, I happen to agree with Tiger (even though he said he was kidding). The Ryder Cup strikes me as slightly more important than the all-star game.

HDPM
10-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Part of the problem of what Sutton said was his call for more zeal. Then he calls out Tiger. If I were Tiger I would issue a press release saying I would not be playing for Sutton. I would say that in Nicklaus's day the Ryder Cup had much less hype and a lot more sportsmanship. One reason Nicklaus's record was so good was that the competition had only players from the UK on the other side. Now it is all European players who are also much improved. So it is very doubtful that the teams Nicklaus played on or Nicklaus's record itself would be the same now. I would say that one of the reasons the competition is over-hyped is because of attitudes like Sutton's. I would say I don't want another Kiawah Brookline-esque episode because of the football coach attitude of a captain who does not think a lot of my Ryder Cup record, which is worse than I would like it to be. I would say that in Nicklaus's day some players skipped the Ryder Cup because of hunting trips. I would also really question Sutton on my passion. Tiger made some very clutch putts and saved some points I thought were huge and Curtis Strange seemed happy with at the time. This year the Americans were tied after the team matches going into the singles, which is way better than they were in years past. Tiger didn't lose his irrelevant singles match, he halved it after a shocking lack of sportsmanship by Jesper the Clown. He played while sick. So I think Sutton made a moronic statement that should cost him his best player. If I were Woods I would say thet because the PGA Tour had been so good to him that he was going to play the minor event the week of the next Ryder Cup and donate any winnings to the local charity the tournament supports. I would use a local kid as a caddie to let him make some cash if I won a nice check. Tiger should retaliate for this public dis by Sutton.

andyfox
10-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

h

10-26-2002, 05:44 AM
Sutton is a Dunce why would you suggest he knows how to think!!!!!!!!!

HDPM
10-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Fair question there.