PDA

View Full Version : new movie about SLim's life (acted by Nicholas Cage)

Bubu
04-07-2005, 02:50 AM
http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8055

This will be directed by Milos Foreman (Larry Flynt, Man on the Moon). Sounds cool. Haven't heard about it before, so I thought I would pass on the news. Don;t know when it will be released/finished.

(re-post from the zoo)

astroglide
04-07-2005, 02:51 AM
wow, a mainstream movie about child molestation!

tdarko
04-07-2005, 02:53 AM
with nick cage and good production maybe it will be better than high roller. fingers crossed.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Terrible casting. The frowning, dumb-looking brooder playing the eternally optimistic fast-talker? Very weird.

moondogg
04-07-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Terrible casting. The frowning, dumb-looking brooder playing the eternally optimistic fast-talker? Very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen Raising Arizona?

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Terrible movie. And the character he played was nothing like Slim.

maryfield48
04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cage can do manic/upbeat. I'm not a fan by any means - I think he tries too hard to be noticed. But I don't agree that Slim's personality is outside his range. And I'm encouraged by Forman's involvement. He has a couple of well-made bio-pics on his resume.

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Can he pretend to lift scams from Titanic Thompson and then proceed to make 100th the amount of money Thompson did scamming people??

If he can he will be sufficient for the role.

Slim is one of the overatted done nothing(Ok he won a WSOP when there were 8 participants or something) celebs in the history of this country, IMHO.

moondogg
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Terrible movie. And the character he played was nothing like Slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, the character he played was a dumb frowner, and was the complete opposite of a "eternally optimistic fast-talker"

Blarg
04-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Wow, I'm happy to hear this.

Milos Forman is one hell of a good director; that alone almost ensures a very watchable movie.

Cage has made a living playing eccentrics, and is probably well capable of playing another one.

Very hard to picture him as anything like a blonde old school Texan, though, of all things. I think I'd have an easier time picturing him playing the lead role in The Liza Minelli Story.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very hard to picture him as anything like a blonde old school Texan, though, of all things. I think I'd have an easier time picturing him playing the lead role in The Liza Minelli Story.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another problem with this casting. Have you ever heard him try to do accents? Remember his attempt at a Southern accent in Con Air? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I can only cringe in advance at what his Texas accent will sound like.

J.R.
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, the character he played was a dumb frowner, and was the complete opposite of a "eternally optimistic fast-talker"

[/ QUOTE ]

that's kinda what his point was, cage is a dumb frowner and slim was/is the eternally optimistic fast talker

Sponger15SB
04-07-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok he won a WSOP when there were 8 participants or something

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW MANY WSOP BRACELETS DO YOU HAVE

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

astroglide
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
seriously folks, the guy molested a relative

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HOW MANY WSOP BRACELETS DO YOU HAVE

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing...OK good point.

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

seriously folks, the guy molested a relative

[/ QUOTE ]

either zaxx or astro want to inform me of the slim story most people haven't heard...? I've never heard any of this and my curiosity is now piqued.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
either zaxx or astro want to inform me of the slim story most people haven't heard...? I've never heard any of this and my curiosity is now piqued

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize it's less typing to go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and type in amarillo slim molestation than it was to do those sentences right?

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
But also the stealing ideas from some other guy and the anti-semetic stuff...

Also, it doesn't seem like many other poster are aware, might as well inform them too.

SossMan
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah, that or go here (http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com)

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Actually, I think this link (www.fuckinggoogleit.com) has better info.

JTrout
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
So who would you have in the roll?
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/westside/177/mc3.jpg He'd have no problem with Texas accent, and upbeat.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So who would you have in the roll?
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/westside/177/mc3.jpg He'd have no problem with Texas accent, and upbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent choice if you could keep his straight and sober long enough.

youtalkfunny
04-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I measure a "great movie" or a "great actor" by the following yardstick: I'm so taken in by the scene, by the drama, or even by the comedy, that I temporarily forget that I'm watching actors playing make-believe. I am totally sucked in.

The next time Nic Cage makes me forget that he's acting, will be the FIRST time. I've never understood how this guy got to be one of the biggest names in Hollywood.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The next time Nic Cage makes me forget that he's acting, will be the FIRST time. I've never understood how this guy got to be one of the biggest names in Hollywood.

[/ QUOTE ]

nepotism.

JTrout
04-07-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood how this guy got to be one of the biggest names in Hollywood

[/ QUOTE ]

He is Coppola's nephew.
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/06/65/12m.jpg

(ok now I'm just having fun pasting)

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Bill Paxton? He's a good Texas boy.
Owen Wilson? Nah. That nose wouldn't work.

Blarg
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
He was very good in Leaving Las Vegas, and he was good in that Scorcese ambulance movie, whatever the heck it was called.

mason55
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was very good in Leaving Las Vegas, and he was good in that Scorcese ambulance movie, whatever the heck it was called.

[/ QUOTE ]

bringing out the dead

astroglide
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah but he changed his name because of it and insisted on auditions where he was an unknown etc

willie
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
i want to see the bet that phil helmuth talked about on card player

that he could hit a golf ball a mile

then went out on a frozen lake and did just that, downwind lol

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah but he changed his name because of it and insisted on auditions where he was an unknown etc

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. and if you believe that....

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bringing out the dead

[/ QUOTE ]

God that was awful.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
you see, the thing is you're asserting that he used nepotism to get in. it's your responsibility to provide proof, so let's see it.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you see, the thing is you're asserting that he used nepotism to get in. it's your responsibility to provide proof, so let's see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have to provide anything. Yes. I'm asserting it. I'm saying that anyone who ever hired him knew he was related to Coppolla. Can i prove it? No. But no one could possibly have hired him for any other reason. Just because you read some silly article in People or saw some crap about him wanting to do it on his own on E! True Hollywood Stories doesn't make it true.

Boris
04-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Slim swears it's a bunch a BS. Hahaha. what a scumbag. The guys tries to screw anything with two legs. I wouldn't let him near my favorite goat. The sad part is that he probably does get alot of poontang.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 04:28 PM
i'm perfectly willing to accept that it did happen. i'm also perfectly willing to accept that a given politician is corrupt, but i would have to have some kind of evidence beyond "boy politicians sure are corrupt!" the way you presented it makes it sound like you would always err on the side of likelihood just for the sake of not getting embarrassed.

[censored]
04-07-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, a mainstream movie about child molestation!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I can stop reading the rest of this thread now. Good Job.

youtalkfunny
04-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Nepotism doesn't make $100,000,000 at the box office.

I'm saying, "I don't know why the movie-going public loves this guy."

jakethebake
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nepotism doesn't make $100,000,000 at the box office.

I'm saying, "I don't know why the movie-going public loves this guy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either. But nepotism does get you roles you wouldn't otherwise get. Then once you get roles, it gets your vehicle more publicity than it would otherwise get. I think it's kind of a weird snowball effect or something too. I'm not saying nepotism is all there is too it. I think Cage's success is one of the universe's biggest mysteries.