PDA

View Full Version : How Large Must the Pot Be to Go All-In Preflop with AA

PokrLikeItsProse
04-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Obviously, you would call a preflop all-in with AA in a cash game, but when would you reraise someone all-in vs a smaller raise or a flat call at some point.

I once saw a good player reraise all-in after only mild preflop action against an expert player. He showed after the expert folded, claiming that he didn't want to play aces out of position.

In theory, since aces are such a powerful hand, you want to milk it for as much value as possible. At the same time, even if it is an overpair to the flop, an all-in check-raise on the flop is scary and sometimes needs to be folded.

How large does the pot need to be so that you are happy to win it right there and don't feel the need to extract more value? Would you ever flat-call with AA preflop?

Ianco15
04-07-2005, 02:55 AM
You are garunteed to have the best hand preflop with aces. Your goal with aces is to get all in preflop and get called because you have huge pot equity.

Sometimes it is okay to smooth call with aces against an opponent for deception purposes. I wouldn't recomend it often. Only smooth call with aces in late postion after an early position raise and you are pretty sure you are going to be hu or 3 handed (I am refering to cash games only here, not tournaments).

Ship__It.

umdpoker
04-07-2005, 03:16 AM
once the pot is approaching half of my stack i push. i will push earlier if there is a reraise in front of me. re-raises usually indicate a hand they are not gonna laydown. also, if there is a maniac involved, im pushing.

ZBTHorton
04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Misread post.

Onaflag
04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
This is very very situation dependent and cannot be answered in one short thought process. The fact that you are wondering when to get all-in with AA may be cause for concern, then again, maybe not.

It may be better to ask how to optimally play aces pre-flop and then if that strategy winds up putting you all-in, so be it, you're happy.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I hope it gives a little more to think about.

HOH has some good references to exactly this. If you don't have it, I'd get it.

Onaflag...........

betgo
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Big enough that you think you have a good chance of being called.