PDA

View Full Version : now what do I read?

JaBlue
04-07-2005, 02:06 AM
I just finished rereading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig and I want to know what his next-best (or better?) book is. Thanks for the help

Sweaburg
04-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Excellent book. I haven't read any other Pirsig but I've hear Lila: An Inquiry into Morals is also pretty decent.

ZATAOMM is one of my top 5 books of all time and one of the only books I've read more than twice.

Sweaburg

Kaz The Original
04-07-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just finished rereading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig and I want to know what his next-best (or better?) book is. Thanks for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget what all these chotches will tell you. What you want is Kane and Abel (which is not a 'good book' but is great entertainment) and The Brothers Karamzov (which is a great book). Barring that, go read catcher in the rye, and chain smoke.

A final option, if you are made of true grit (and we are chalk full of that man) is Gorky Park. It contains love, Russians and the line "for the first time in my life I was in a room that did not smell, however vaguely, of cabbage."

JaBlue
04-07-2005, 02:48 AM
I hav eread Brothers Karamzov and it is definitely top 5 for me. However, so is this book. Please recommend me the next Pirsig book /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
04-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Read Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard.

He's the nuts.

I'm dead serious.

Yugoslav

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent book. I haven't read any other Pirsig but I've hear Lila: An Inquiry into Morals is also pretty decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was o.k. but nothing like Zen. I'd recommend it for a lighter read.

DeezNuts
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was o.k. but nothing like Zen. I'd recommend it for a lighter read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read Zen but if it is about Zen philosophy and finding total consciousness and rising above the everyday social constructs and desires, did you enjoy it? If so, how are statements like the ones you made in the "Peter North" thread and your enjoyment of the book congruent? Just wondering.

DN

PokerNoob
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
"Quality is Free" by Philip Crosby.

shakingspear
04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know if you're looking for a particular genre, but "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski is quite rad.

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Unconnected.

Phat Mack
04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
I think that's it for Pirsig. I only know of one other that he wrote, and I didn't think it was that good.

Have you read Eric Hoffer? Montaigne? Schopenhauer? They have some interesting essay-like works.