PDA

View Full Version : What's that smell?

DavidC
04-07-2005, 01:59 AM
I just want to say that this isn't a PC question, but I'm so incredibly curious about the answer that it must be asked.

Most white north americans notice that Indian and Oriental people smell different than we do ourselves.

I've been told that north americans smell like sour milk.

Anyways, I'm kinda curious as to what exactly it is in the oriental diet that gives them a different smell than "the rest of us" in the west.

As a side note: a french term for a british tourist is "Roast Beef", because they lie on the beach and they're pretty fat, and they get huge red sunburns, so it kinda looks like a beach full of roast beef. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, responses (serious only) are appreciated, and I really hope this doesn't offend anyone, other than the British, of course.

mason55
04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
For Indians it is generally strong scented curries

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 02:02 AM
My sense of smell is shot, but honestly, after years of living in Southeast Asia, and travelling throughout the rest of Asia and the subcontinent, I'd be hard pressed to notice a distinctive human smell associated with one food that makes up a major part of that group's diet.

Then again, I cook with garlic in everything and I smoke like a chimney, so take that for what its worth.

I will say that human smells are more prominent in many places, but that often has to do with the prevalence of deoderant rather than food.

DavidC
04-07-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For Indians it is generally strong scented curries

[/ QUOTE ]

Tru dat (And curry isn't even really a spice, but a mixture of spices... and since you said "curries" you are well aware).

I'm curious about the oriental thing though.

--Dave.

astroglide
04-07-2005, 02:28 AM
there was a cuban dude in an ex-gf's dorm that ate plain old food and smelled MISERABLE. it was hilarious, he would actually stink straight out of the shower. he'd be walking down the hall with wet hair wearing a towel and people would start riding him about it. he was cool about it though, it was just a joke.

AncientPC
04-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Chinese / Indians = body odor.

Ever walk into a CS or EE building on campus? Horrible.

FishBurger
04-07-2005, 03:17 AM
I remember one time I sat in a computer room for like six hours straight trying to finish an assignment. I was wearing shorts at the time and by the time I left I could smell my own scrotum. That wasn't cool.

istewart
04-07-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember one time I sat in a computer room for like six hours straight trying to finish an assignment. I was wearing shorts at the time and by the time I left I could smell my own scrotum. That wasn't cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

DavidC
04-07-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ooc, you oriental? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
04-07-2005, 04:02 AM
it's that n*gga who'll neva get well...

- Luda

Yugoslav

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most white north americans notice that Indian and Oriental people smell different than we do ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not allowed to call the Oriental people anymore. They're Asian people.

mason55
04-07-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The chinaman is not the issue here, dude

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The chinaman is not the issue here, dude

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* At least you didn't say "gookamenese".

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* obviously you are not a golfer

DavidC
04-07-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a large guy, but this kind of crap makes me want to slap you so hard you forget your own name. But your av rocks, so we're cool.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Asian" refers to a hell of a lot of people. Oriental narrows it down a bit, which is useful, especially given what I'm trying to learn (which no one has answered).

WTF is that smell, guys! Someone's gotta know...

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a large guy, but this kind of crap makes me want to slap you so hard you forget your own name. But your av rocks, so we're cool.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Asian" refers to a hell of a lot of people. Oriental narrows it down a bit, which is useful, especially given what I'm trying to learn (which no one has answered).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm detector isn't working today obviously since I completely agree. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, the term oriental actually widens the range of people you're talking about as there are only two types: occidental & oriental.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mostsmooth
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
kimchee (sp?)

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Truthfully, I've never noticed a different smell in non-Indian Asians. My girlfriend is Singaporean so I can ask her when I get home from work. I'm not sure what it would be though. Maybe Kimchi but that would only be Koreans. I can't really think of many ingredients in Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/etc food that have a strong scent like Indian curries (which, you're right, I do know are a mixture of spices, in fact I have a curry cook book that tells how to make all kinds of crazy curries).

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's from The Big Lebowski (both things I said). I'm a prick but I know that chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. I've never heard gookanamese but I like it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mostsmooth
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Truthfully, I've never noticed a different smell in non-Indian Asians. My girlfriend is Singaporean so I can ask her when I get home from work. I'm not sure what it would be though. Maybe Kimchi but that would only be Koreans. I can't really think of many ingredients in Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/etc food that have a strong scent like Indian curries (which, you're right, I do know are a mixture of spices, in fact I have a curry cook book that tells how to make all kinds of crazy curries).

[/ QUOTE ]
ive known plenty of non-korean asians that eat kimchee (kimchi, whatever). my gf is thai, but she doesnt smell, but then again she isnt eating traditional food all the time, hardly at all actually.

Slow Play Ray
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, you're not a golfer.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a prick but I know that chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. I've never heard gookanamese but I like it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. My response was as sarcastic as yours.

Slow Play Ray
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a prick but I know that chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asian American, please.

mason55
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asian American, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't some guy who built the [censored] railroads man...

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asian American, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

But non-American Asians smell also??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

DavidC
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm detector isn't working today obviously since I completely agree. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, the term oriental actually widens the range of people you're talking about as there are only two types: occidental & oriental.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the detector malfunction. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ooc, what does occidental mean?

Isn't it a geometric term, or something to do with our anatomy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've never heard someone say, "Oh, I'm from The Occident." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kimchee (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

We migtht be getting somewhere...

What's kimchee? Is it a spice? Does anyone know it's correct spelling?

DavidC
04-07-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool! (girlfriend with knowledge + various curries)

Eurotrash
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it essentially just means the West, as opposed to the orient, which is the East.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's kimchee?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically rotten cabbage.

mason55
04-07-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kimchee (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

We migtht be getting somewhere...

What's kimchee? Is it a spice? Does anyone know it's correct spelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

kimchi and kimchee are both acceptable. It's a vegetable (usually cabbage) that's fermented and mixed with things like chili paste and vinegar and other potent ingredeients. used a lot in korean cooking, although it's popular all over asia (supposedly it cures SARS and Bird flu). They ferment it in clay pots underground but you can smell that [censored] from miles away in the summer.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it essentially just means the West, as opposed to the orient, which is the East.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I was being a nit. Occidental referred to western people/culture. Basically everything else was Oriental. The definition of oriental has kinda changed over time.