PDA

View Full Version : Late Stage Steal Attempt in UB 30+3 9500

mikeymer
04-07-2005, 01:15 AM
I just busted out 20th out of 300 something in the UB 30+3... average is 23000, I have about 12500... Blinds are 600/1200 with 150 ante. Terrible run of cards that aren't worth even trying to steal. I get J5s in the SB and its folded all the way to me... Trying to steal I push all in, the table has been very tight, hardly seeing any flops. The kid thinks for a while, and calls with A5, and I'm busted out.

Is this poor judgement to try to steal like this? I just felt like my stack was deteriorating and if I raised anything less he might attempt a resteal.

Comments appreciated, thanks -Mike

CardSharpCook
04-07-2005, 01:18 AM
I like this play. You gotta do it. You could min-raise and AI the flop. I'm actually curious as to which method is better - the flop steal or the PF steal, but the point is, you take this chance here. I really don't understand why ace high always calls here. If someone could explain that to me....

CSC

billyjex
04-07-2005, 01:21 AM
I would push here probably 90% of the time. I wouldn't only if the BB was way too loose and had too many chips and would call me with any semi-decent holding. You need to keep your stack big so when you do get a good hand and get called you can double up to a good stack.

tiger7210
04-07-2005, 02:30 AM
i think that its very dependent on the player in the BB and his stack size. If you know him to be a tight rock and calling will severely hurt him then i like it. If he's very loose that u think will call with any Ax/Kx then maybe a mini raise/push or even limp push may work better. You need chips and this doesn't look like a bad spot to gamble unless ur fairly sure he calls with any decent holding which in that case I fold.

Wu36
04-07-2005, 03:08 AM
Agreed. I personally like the pf push, play some sngs and you'll get a good feel for these situations.

Wu36
04-07-2005, 04:15 AM
might as well link to this here.
Karlson-Sklansky hand rankins (http://www.decf.berkeley.edu/~chubukov/rankings.html)

mikeymer
04-07-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
might as well link to this here.
Karlson-Sklansky hand rankins (http://www.decf.berkeley.edu/~chubukov/rankings.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey could you help me out with what the this actually means? Pardon my ignorance... I have no idea what this chart could actually tell me. Thanks -Mike

schwza
04-07-2005, 11:03 AM
i would complete here and then bet any flop.

mikeymer
04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would complete here and then bet any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop came Ax5 so I would have been screwed either way... point taken though, thanks.

nsj
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
BB's stack is important here.

BK_
04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
against alot 30 dollar mtt players, i would rather complete pf and auto bet the flop. 30 dollar mtt players usually dont raise the bb here, will call a bit too much when you push, but wont bluff raise the flop very often. plus its alot less risky. imo your stack is a bit too large to push here preflop

bruce
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
"Terrible run of cards that aren't even worth a steal"

Since when do you need good cards to steal with? I would probably rather have 78 than Kxs, if I push and am called at
least I am not dominated. If you steal it really makes little difference what you have, play the player and not your holdings.

Bruce