PDA

View Full Version : To Kill A Mocking Bird

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
I have a test on this tomorrow and I didn't read the book. I just read a little at Sparknotes.

istewart
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
This post should have a third poll.

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
It's my favorite book. I can't imagine you being dissapointed with reading it.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a highschool book, no?

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Are you still in Junior High?

And if they give tests on books in high schools, I suggest changing schools.

Fifth: When I say "liberal" feminism, I don't mean "liberal" in the sense the brain dead conservative politics posters use it with.

Third comment---its a book in line with liberal feminism far more than anything to do with problematizing race. Don't let them fool you.

Fourth: its poorly written.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I read it in 7th or 8th grade; Its a good book.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And if they give tests on books in high schools, I suggest changing schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, have you ever heard of a literature course?

istewart
04-07-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a highschool book, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good book, I read it in like 8th grade though. Reading TKAM and posting on a gambling forum don't jive.

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Edited to hide my brilliance.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm reading in in 9th grade.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:12 AM
we had essays and tests for lit class.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. For lit. courses you write essays. What would a test show?

Gee, I don't have an advanced degree in said subject or anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

Literature courses are called that because in general you don't do as much writing. You do write some to reflect novels, but I have taken about 6 lit courses between hs and college, and all have tests on material.

Its not dumbass questions for the most part, but its recognition of important passages at places in the novel and things like that. When you do write essays for the tests, you always have to draw on specific examples. Tests can show a lot.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:13 AM
I am asking because our teacher says its one of the best books ever written and I wanted to know what other people thought about it becuase I didn't find it great from what I have read.

Beerfund
04-07-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gee, I don't have an advanced degree in said subject or anything...

Gee, you and other taxpayers don't pay me an outrageous sum every year to become the expert in said field or anything....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, I wonder why people hate you.....

ThaSaltCracka
let me guess, you find it boring?

InchoateHand
You took lit classes in college with tests?

Let me guess....Podunk Community College?

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am asking because our teacher says its one of the best books ever written and I wanted to know what other people thought about it becuase I didn't find it great from what I have read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not gonna call you or anyone an idiot for not liking it, but I do find it hard to understand it if you don't. The story is just so good on so many levels, it's definetly on of the best ever written.

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I'm self-nominated genius. Besides, I'm trolling the forums tonight to pull off a dark horse victory. Thanks for contributing.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You took lit classes in college with tests?

Let me guess....Podunk Community College?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lehigh University

University of Connecticut

Seriously dude, get a clue. Literature courses test on material.

mason55
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You admitted to not reading it... how you can say it wasn't good?

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

[/ QUOTE ]

Also another question

What should I do right now?

A. Read to kill a mocking bird
B. Win another $7k in a MTT

istewart
04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

[/ QUOTE ]

Also another question

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
UCONN...but of course, famed bastion of higher education that it is. Good women's basketball team though...

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"What grade am I in?"

A. Second
B. Third.
C. Fourth
D. Homeschooled

[/ QUOTE ]

Also another question

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ask my parents they would say read

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UCONN...but of course, famed bastion of higher education that it is. Good women's basketball team though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lehigh is top 40 univ in nation, uconn top 70. Your trolling is going well tonight.

istewart
04-07-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lehigh is top 40 univ in nation, uconn top 70. Your trolling is going well tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

ThaSaltCracka
why not read it though? Sometimes the begining of books are hard to get into. FWIW, the hardest book I ever read was Jazz by Toni Morrison. The dialogue was a chore to say the least, but seriously, why not give it another try?

InchoateHand
"Top 70." Do they post those numbers as such? I think not.

mason55
04-07-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why not read it though? Sometimes the begining of books are hard to get into. FWIW, the hardest book I ever read was Jazz by Toni Morrison. The dialogue was a chore to say the least, but seriously, why not give it another try?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like books, but Toni Morrison is definitely at the bottom of my list. I'll probably be accused of being a racist mysoginist but I really don't like her writing. She tries way too hard.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

US News.

Number 1 public school in New England... Im not sure why I am even defending this to you, you are pretty clueless.

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]enough, stfu both of you.

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:23 AM
No, just a shitty reader with no education.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:23 AM
yeah she is somewhat racist, but for me the slang used in the book was so hard to read through. She writes some good short stories though.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:24 AM
really, stop trolling. its annoying and won't do anything in your pitiful quest to be most hated.

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:24 AM
You are not going to win, stop raining on my [censored] chances.

And US News and World Report ranking are bullshit, and everyone in Higher Ed. knows it. But...additionally, they don't have a column called "top 70." Thats something people from schools ranked 68 make up.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I will some time later in my life but I don't have time before the test tomorrow so clearly sparknotes was the way to go.

The day after I won 7k I got 0/10 on a quiz for this book. I'm pretty sure it was worth it.

daryn
i just want to interject by saying that people who think you can't get a great education at a state school are idiots.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

And US News and World Report ranking are bullshit, and everyone in Higher Ed. knows it. But...additionally, they don't have a column called "top 70." Thats something people from schools ranked 68 make up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just trying to piss me off now?

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i just want to interject by saying that people who think you can't get a great education at a state school are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had issues with state education, but you're right. It be the same if you are making a point about a course, and he says "Oh, you went to UMass, your argument doesnt matter". There are shitty schools, Umass and Uconn are not in that group though.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I have my doubts you will read it later on, I personally have only read it once. So yeah, sparknotes are the way to go, and the MTT was clearly worth it, but still man, you never know what kind of book you will read in HS and you never know if you will like a book till you read it. Don't take the opportunity for granted.

InchoateHand
No, in all actuality they are not. I agree with you on that. I'm currently doing grad work at a crappy state school. I'm just [censored] with you. UConn has a solid system, as does UMass, certainly bettery than the horrible SUNY schools, or god forbid University of Nebreska or other such monstrosities.

ThaSaltCracka
so are you guys gonna bitch and argue about this all night or what? Just ignore the douche bag.

mason55
04-07-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have my doubts you will read it later on, I personally have only read it once. So yeah, sparknotes are the way to go, and the MTT was clearly worth it, but still man, you never know what kind of book you will read in HS and you never know if you will like a book till you read it. Don't take the opportunity for granted.

[/ QUOTE ]

School is cool.

seriously. appreciate your education. it's not uncool to be educated, and in a couple years girls will see intelligence as a turn on.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so are you guys gonna bitch and argue about this all night or what? Just ignore the douche bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me with your xbox live name, ill be playing tomorow night into the weekend. Just got it, but still afraid to tell you my level, what levels are you guys anyways?

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:31 AM
You would know how, Columbus boy?

Rushmore
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be surprised when the same thing happens with The Catcher in the Rye.

Personally, I don't see the point of having children reading these books--they won't actually appreciate them until later in life, so they'll go back and re-read them anyway.

TKAM is probably OK, to be honest. Its motives are clear, the prose is nice, and it's nothing that doesn't get shovelled down our throats every day on the television machine, anyway.

Next semester: Being and Nothingness, Naked Lunch, and American Psycho.

P.S. Maybe some school somewhere will get the great idea to cancel an entire semester of virtually useless reading in exchange for a semester entitled "Learning to Live In The Real World," where the students learn how to balance a checkbook, how credit cards work, what "work ethic" means, and are trained to neither drive slow in the left lane nor cut anyone off for any reason ever.

mason55
04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You would know how, Columbus boy?

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, you're losing votes now.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:34 AM
its the same name as on here, I may play some tomorrow.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Me 3

h0m3star

Salty i think i deleted you on accident when i cleared about 80% of my friends list, i will send you another.

blindu
04-07-2005, 12:53 AM
book as a whole is bad. the only mildly interesting part is the trial. the whole "lets watch kids grow and matrue" idea is inherently flawed.

i did like the part where they were attacked though.
funny stuff.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
book as a whole is bad. the only mildly interesting part is the trial. the whole "lets watch kids grow and matrue" idea is inherently flawed.

funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

mason55
04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU DIDN'T READ THE [censored] BOOK SO STFU.

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 01:04 AM
sounds good man.

Shilly
04-07-2005, 01:09 AM
One of my favorite books. I think this book appeals to most people, regardless of age or gender. If I remember right, the movie is pretty similar to the book, and is equally as great (Gregory Peck rules).

Schneids
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm self-nominated genius. Besides, I'm trolling the forums tonight to pull off a dark horse victory. Thanks for contributing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao you just got my vote in the most hated poll, you want it more.

Schneids
04-07-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Toni Morrison is an awesome author; and I agree, at times a chore to read.

JaBlue
04-07-2005, 02:13 AM
read the book instead of posting here. Seriously. Great book.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Too late, just took the test and I think I did alright.

offTopic
04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
The movie is quite good, as well, though you might find the color to be a bit, er, subdued. Special effects sucked, though.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 07:16 PM
We watched most of the movie in class.

Ogre
04-07-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU DIDN'T READ THE [censored] BOOK SO STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the book but I read Sparknotes and we talked about it for about a week during the class. And I watched the movie so I'm pertty sure that I have a grasp on the idea behind the book.

YourFoxyGrandma
04-07-2005, 07:30 PM
You're not even old enough to play poker.

shadow29
04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm reading in in 9th grade.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: 100+9

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

And I'm not that guy (keep forgetting his name, the one with Phoebe as an avatar).

Voltron87
04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like an elitist douchebag.