PDA

View Full Version : GOP senator admits Schiavo memo originated with his office.

QuadsOverQuads
04-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Special delivery for the "Schiavo memo is a fake!" crowd :

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/07/politics/07memo.html

-----

Senator Mel Martinez, Republican of Florida, said Wednesday that a senior member of his staff had written an unsigned memorandum about the partisan political advantages of intervening in the case of Terri Schiavo that became a controversial footnote to the debate over the wisdom and motives of Congress's actions.

In a statement on Wednesday night, Mr. Martinez said that he had just learned that the memorandum originated in his office and that its author had resigned. He did not name the author, but aides said it was Brian Darling, his counsel.

Mr. Darling could not be reached for comment.

The anonymous memorandum, which was distributed to news organizations by Democratic aides and first reported by ABC News, became widely cited in news reports as evidence that at least some Republicans were applying a political calculus to the case of Ms. Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman. Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee, the majority leader, and many other Republican Senators quickly disavowed the document, saying they had never seen it and that they condemned it.

In his statement, Mr. Martinez said that on March 9 he had mistakenly and unknowingly handed the document to Senator Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa, on the floor of the Senate. Mr. Martinez said that he had meant to reach for a different document and that he did not know how it had entered his possession.

-----

(last paragraph highlighted in full for pure "LMFAO" factor)

q/q

Felix_Nietsche
04-06-2005, 11:32 PM
....excuse us Repubs for being a little gun shy.

QuadsOverQuads
04-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Lesson for the day: just because the GOP says something is "fake" doesn't mean that it actually is.

q/q

whiskeytown
04-07-2005, 07:29 AM
and vice versa, starting with their sincerity.

probably offered the aide a big payoff to fall on the sword. - Lucky bastard.

That is funny though. - A republican gave a memo he didn't read to a democrat - LOL - obviously research and being informed is important to that Freshman congressman - dumbass - LOL

Woulda loved to have been there when Harkin called and said "uh yah, that memo you guys are saying you didn't write, well YOUR office did it....LOL"

WHAT....OUTRAGEOUS .... LIES.... SLANDER....I , wait.... - oh....nevermind /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
OK, you liberals win.

We will now proceed to run the world(this is basically what we do lets be honest about it) and make it a better safer place....and probably win a few more general elections/.

You guys are so obsessed over being "right" and "consistent" and seemingly so unconcerned with making America safe and running the country well.

You prefer "proving" that GWB is some schmuck nazi to coming up with pragmatic strategies on issues such as Social Security, and Iraq--

In the long run you are only serving to elect more "schmuck nazis" in the foreseable future.

fluxrad
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are so obsessed over being "right" and "consistent" and seemingly so unconcerned with making America safe and running the country well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That...wow...

That is one of the most retarded posts I've ever read. It's as if you honestly believe being "right" and "consistent" are luxuries. Then again, that would easily explain your political tendencies.

Being underhanded douchebags is exactly how the right has regained power in this country...but you're a liar and a fool if you think tactics of men like Frist, Delay, and Rove have done anything but significantly weaken this country.

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Being "right"(meaning conforming to some insanely restrictive liberal rubric for how we can interogate known terrorist et al.) and "consistent" ARE absolutely luxuries when people are flying 737's into buildings.

If you dont believe that then you arent going to make a very good leader.

PERIOD.

fluxrad
04-07-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being "right"(meaning conforming to some insanely restrictive liberal rubric for how we can interogate known terrorist et al.) and "consistent" ARE absolutely luxuries when people are flying 737's into buildings.

PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Insert Franklin quote....now.

1. What defines a "known terrorist"? Is Jose Padilla one? Is Yasser Hamdi one? Sounds to me like you're willing to take Ashcroft's word for it.

2. One of my favorite quotes is this gem by Hume: "It is seldom liberty of any kind that lost all at once." Which brings me to...

3. If you're willing to give up so many rights just to stop a boogie man like Osama Bin Laden from attacking us...what the hell do we have left to protect? Honestly, I don't particularly give a [censored] if Bin Laden takes out a country that doesn't provide its citizens the right to attorney-client privilege, or the right to a speedy trial, or the right to privacy.

Oh and

4. WTF does any of this have to do with the Schiavo memo?

Daliman
04-07-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....excuse us Repubs for being a little gun shy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? Sheesh.

Way to not accept responsibility. You ARE a true republican.

Daliman
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Felix_Nietsche
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
"That's it? Sheesh.
Way to not accept responsibility. You ARE a true republican."
Let me see if I can understand your 'liberal logic'.
Since I did not write the memo and since *I* did not apologize for a memo that I did not write then..........

I'm wrong for NOT excepting responsibility......
Mmmmmm... OK...

Daliman
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"That's it? Sheesh.
Way to not accept responsibility. You ARE a true republican."
Let me see if I can understand your 'liberal logic'.
Since I did not write the memo and since *I* did not apologize for a memo that I did not write then..........

I'm wrong for NOT excepting responsibility......
Mmmmmm... OK...

[/ QUOTE ]\\I'm not going to bother searching throught, But I'd be willing to lay 2-1 with a non-associated party that you at a minimum called this memo into question and likely said it's a democratic plant.

Not a liberal, btw, but thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Don't make me bring up MCNabb again... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, it's "accepting", not "excepting". Damn right-wingers and their incorrect word usage. It's an ependemic, I tells ya... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Felix_Nietsche
04-07-2005, 04:20 PM
"Don't make me bring up MCNabb again..."
I've sent the moderator $100 to delete that topic so that there will be no record of me ever being wrong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bholdr
04-07-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

tens of thousands and more americans have died over the course of history for the "luxury" of the rights that GWB and company are taking away bit by bit...

when the stated goal of the terrorists is to destroy our freedoms, how does destroying those freedoms in order to defeat the terrorists mae any sense?

it is a shame that thousands died on 9/11, but, you know what? if that or something like wasn't/isn't preventable without violating american's constitutional rights, then, dammit, that's just gonna have to be the price that we pay for our freedom.

jesusarenque
04-07-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why use three periods?

Cyrus
04-08-2005, 02:48 AM
THEOREMS:

"Laughter prolongs life."

"Allocation of time in one's life should always be optimal."

COROLLARY:

"Any thread without at least one (1) Zaxx19 post is not worth wasting time on."

BCPVP
04-08-2005, 03:24 AM
I hope it's not too much to ask that our media actually find out the facts to their stories before reporting them, is it?

What this proves:
1) This memo did not originate from party leaders as was said
2) These were not talking points
3) Mel Martinez hired an idiot who can't spell.

Chris Alger
04-08-2005, 02:30 PM
The notion that the CBS memos are proven fakes continues to permeate right-wing consciousness. While it's possible the memos are fakes, the most complete investigation of them concluded that it was impossible to tell. More importantly, if the memos aren't fakes they're reconstructions of actual memos that accurately depict Bush's refusal to fulfill his national guard duties, the preferential treatment he received and his lying to cover it up.

BCPVP
04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While it's possible the memos are fakes, the most complete investigation of them concluded that it was impossible to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done by whom...? CBS?

jaxmike
04-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Do you understand that the memo was indeed a fake? Just because someone that worked for a GOP Senator wrote it, doesn't mean its contents were real. IF you knew what you were talking about, and weren't so utterly reactionary, you would see that what the memo was presented as, was false, thus a fake.

QuadsOverQuads
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
To paraphrase a blogger named Digby :

"It isn't that Republicans have no shame. It's that they once met Shame, beat the s___ out of him, rolled him up in a carpet and threw him off a bridge."

q/q

jaxmike
04-12-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To paraphrase a blogger named Digby :

"It isn't that Republicans have no shame. It's that they once met Shame, beat the s___ out of him, rolled him up in a carpet and threw him off a bridge."

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really showed me. Sucks that I am almost always right doesn't it?

Daliman
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that the memo was indeed a fake? Just because someone that worked for a GOP Senator wrote it, doesn't mean its contents were real. IF you knew what you were talking about, and weren't so utterly reactionary, you would see that what the memo was presented as, was false, thus a fake.

[/ QUOTE ]

LEt's see..

The memo was written n=by a republican senator's legal counsel....
It was distributed by the same senator...
It IS a memo...

How again, in your world, is this fake?

Also, in your world, are the clouds made of cotton candy?