PDA

View Full Version : things for a dorm room

soccerboy9
04-06-2005, 10:54 PM
hi all i will be starting college in the fall and i am trying to think of some things that i could put in my dorm room. i am trying to get a room to myself, i dont really want to have a roomate. my interests are soccer,poker, video games/movies.

what i have already: playstation 2, 13 inch television (but im looking to buy a 27 inch tv soon), 3 cd changer boombox, my extended family will be buying me a laptop.

so whatever other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated

pshreck
04-06-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am trying to get a room to myself, i dont really want to have a roomate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody thinks this going into freshman year. A roommate is really good for helping you along socially.

Plus I dont know of any school (I guess there are a few) that gives freshman singles.

istewart
04-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Mine gives out quite a few.

Get a lot of dorm food. This is generally what white trash eat, but you'll need it. Fridge/microwave, many alarm clocks, an iPod or you'll be out of place on any campus.

UOPokerPlayer
04-06-2005, 10:59 PM
They give a ton of singles out at my school and the schools my friends go to. I'd reccomend a roomate man. It's so much easier to meet people with a roomate. He could easiliy become your best friend.

UOPokerPlayer
04-06-2005, 11:01 PM
I used to watch a lot of TV, but don't really at all anymore. I'd reccomend a microwave, and a refrigerator. Cold booze and pizza pockets are key. Raise your bed up and put the fridge and stuff under it. Get a sub also.

hunterking
04-06-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi all i will be starting college in the fall and i am trying to think of some things that i could put in my dorm room. i am trying to get a room to myself, i dont really want to have a roomate. my interests are soccer,poker, video games/movies.

what i have already: playstation 2, 13 inch television (but im looking to buy a 27 inch tv soon), 3 cd changer boombox, my extended family will be buying me a laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

hot chicks /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody thinks this going into freshman year. A roommate is really good for helping you along socially.

Plus I dont know of any school (I guess there are a few) that gives freshman singles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Now on to what you should get in your dorm room. You definitely need to get as many screens as possible. I recommend at least 4 televisions and a computer for each person living in the room. Also, you need a hot chick poster and some cult movie poster. Get something greasy to stain the movie poster with. If you're lucky, your roommate'll take care of this one for you. You'll also want to build a deck. IMO, Deck >> Loft. Don't pre-build like an idiot, though - it won't fit right and your roommate probably did the same thing, leaving you with two crappy decks/lofts that don't fit together and look like complete ass. Make sure you have a good place for stadium-type seating in front of your TV screens. You'll need seating for movies and multi-player video games plus audience.

hunterking
04-06-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nachos

BWebb
04-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Stripper pole.

Gin 'n Tonic
04-06-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
many alarm clocks

[/ QUOTE ]

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
04-06-2005, 11:08 PM
a bong that is somehow made out of part of the actual dorm room.

GuyOnTilt
04-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Fridge is a must. Don't get one of those mini ones either that's a small cube. Get one of the 3-foot high ones. Microwave, rice steamer, and loveseat are also must have. Coffeemakers are good too. They double as ramen makers, which you'll be making lots of.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2005, 11:12 PM
lots of alcohol, no really, I am serious.

deacsoft
04-06-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fridge is a must. Get one of the 3-foot high ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

bholdr
04-06-2005, 11:29 PM
A: a water boiler- they cost like ten bucks and are great for whiping up that ramen at 4 AM.

B: Mini-fridge- don't rent the crappy ones most schools offer. just buy one. put a lock on it (i'm not kidding)

C: a really impressive bong. (once again, not kidding)

D: lotsa condoms. (buy them. buy them now. hide them everywhere. once, at the start of a school year, my buddy went knocking on every door in his dorm and passed out a handfull of condoms to each person, girls and guys, in the name of 'getting to know people and promote safe sex' i think it got him laid a ton. definitly +EV if you can do it without looking creepy)

E: Dirt Devil Mini-Vac- absolutely a must have. not only is it easier and more convient to clean your dorm with this than with an upright, but all the gals will be asking to borrow it.

F: speaking of the ladies: it's critical to have a roommate plan if you don't get your own room. the sock on the door just doesn't cut it. you just end up wih stolen socks and uncomfortable intrusions.

G: soap on a rope. (yet again, not kidding) on a related note, a nice, attractive bathrobe, SANDALS (that one is critical), a haversack for your bathroom gear with your name on it IN BIG FAT LETTERS, and old spice (dunno why, but chicks dig it).

The coolest dorm room i ever saw belonged to a rasta that i knew... no beds, just a crapload of beanbags, various pillows, mood lighting, a big fat oriental rug, indonesian tapestries, etc.

My dorm room, on the other hand, was a dark smokey pit of grime and uneaten pizza. I never took girls home, and it cost me when they're place was also unavailable. (i once had a girl say "we can't go back to my room, my roomie's in there!" to which i responded, dryly, "that's O.K. babe, she can join in if she wants."... never saw her again.

sry if this post seems to revolve on you getting the most action possible, but that IS why you're going to college, right? if it's not, it should be.

GL to you.

bholdr
04-06-2005, 11:30 PM
like 1k worth of booze. like, enough to stock a bar. hide half of it, it'll be gone in a month.

Ogre
04-06-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
13 inch television (but im looking to buy a 27 inch tv soon

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be first on my list but it depends how much you watch TV/Play videogames. Buy an airsoft gun for the dorms i hear NLSoldier thinks they are the nuts. Shoot stuff,people,new monitors...

augie00
04-06-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished my first semester of college. You really, REALLY want a roommate. It's very hard to get out and go to a party when you know absolutley nobody. You have to get your network started somehow, and your roommate is often your first link.

[ QUOTE ]
my interests are soccer,poker, video games/movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the beginning of a pretty sweet room my friend...a sweet room indeed.

[ QUOTE ]
playstation 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully you won't play this thing much. Get a party type game that you can play with girls. I recommend Fuzion Frenzy if it's on PS2.

[ QUOTE ]
13 inch television (but im looking to buy a 27 inch tv soon),

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a 32. Plasma. (If you've got the duckets, that is. Either way, get as big as possible without hurting your eyes.)

[ QUOTE ]
3 cd changer boombox

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've got some extra clams I'd throw down for a nice soundsystem to put all around your room. You'll find that in your early days a lot of your partying will take place inside your own dorm room.

[ QUOTE ]
my extended family will be buying me a laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a cord from best buy and get that bitch hooked up to the speakers.

A loveseat is a must, you can find very cheap ones at salvation army. If you're a true baller like me you can throw down for a leather one.

Other than some nice speakers and a couch, you should be straight. The object of your dorm room shouldn't be catering to your needs, it should be a nice place for others to chill. A sweet dorm room makes it a lot easier to make friends.

Jurollo
04-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Roomie is +EV freshman year, just make sure they enjoy drinking and girls though. Generally pothead roomies are -EV, because if you have ever smoked they will turn you into a full blown stoner which is -EV long term.
~Justin

pshreck
04-06-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my interests are soccer,poker, video games/movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

What not to have is anything soccer related. Meaning posters, or soccer balls, or anything like that.

Ogre
04-06-2005, 11:53 PM
FUUUUUUZZZIOOON FRRREEENNZZYYYYY
hahaha I used to love playing the demo on halo 1 while I waited for the retards on the other box to join my game. the only playable game on there is the Jump&Duck one but that one is really sweet

mason55
04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
I recommend a new list of interestes. Women, liquor, and weed are your new hobbies. Poker is ok but don't skip parties to play poker.

Sponger15SB
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this picture from my dorm room freshman year so much.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Sponger15aa/BeerFridge.jpg

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
girls. Girls are good.

TeeJayORTj
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
After reading all these ideas it makes my dorm room seem like a shithole. But really a single is nice after your first year. First year one roomate is defintily the way to go.

But that second year having your own room is defintily the way to go. Either some kind of studio or a single in an apartment with 2 or 3 other people.

EDIT: Also if you have a Girlfriend ditch her and play the ...if were ment to be things will work out after college routine. This is basically required or you will regret it.

AggieAce
04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
easy, get a card table, a set of dominoes to play bones, and a decent poker set up and you'll have the guys over for poker nights and the girls over fro strip poker night! great way to meet other kids in your hall.

Corey
04-07-2005, 12:30 AM
This needs to be right above your desk:

http://img111.exs.cx/img111/9505/bozeshelf511021ha.jpg
(Go easy on me, we were freshmen, we thought Bacardi was the nuts)

ThaSaltCracka
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]reminds me of my first year...

Nick-Zack
04-07-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stripper pole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-07-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]reminds me of my first year...

[/ QUOTE ]
You remember your first year?

Crveballin
04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Get a table for beer pong. If no room for a table, remove your closet door and use that. If you dont know what beer pong is google it and make sure you know it. Beer pong table also works well for flip cup which girls love to play cause its easy +EV.

Putting the bed on cinder blocks is the way to go over the loft idea. That way people can sit on it when you pack your dorm room.

Make a beer bong/funnel. Made cheaply from Lowes / Home Depot.

No need for a boombox. You will be playing your songs off your computer once you download your fair shair. Just buy good computer speakers to hook up to the laptop. AVR will work when you move off campus the next year.

zagosh
04-07-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

E-mail your ass off! (http://www.shanesworld.com/trailers/ci6.php)

Sponger15SB
04-07-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a table for beer pong. If no room for a table, remove your closet door and use that. If you dont know what beer pong is google it and make sure you know it. Beer pong table also works well for flip cup which girls love to play cause its easy +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and while you're at it, put a pinball machine, a pool table, maybe a hot tub, etc.

Seriously though, its a [censored] dorm room, he isn't gonna have room for anything besides a fridge and a TV, unless he was super lucky like me, and had a closet big enough to fit his bed in, which made my room massive.

check out Rieber Hall @ UCLA. This is a triple....

http://www.conferences.ucla.edu/housing_site/oncampus/tour/a2-q.htm

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont really want to have a roomate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you do.

And honestly I hope you spend most of your time outside your room and away from the computer/Playstation for the most part.

Get ready bc it will probably be the best yr of your life.

Shilly
04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
iPod. Everyone else will have one, too.

Richie Rich
04-07-2005, 01:17 AM
One of those black-and-white posters where a boy and a girl are dressed up in adult clothing, and the little boy is giving the girl a colored rose. That, and a Bob Marley poster. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Sponger that's f'in hilarious..

Just curious, what colleges do you guys go to? I'm a frosh in the fall at UGA.

Good advice, Augie. Please e-mail me your computer set-up from that picture your friend took of you. I must know. PLEASE.

AncientPC
04-07-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
many alarm clocks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second what Sponger said.

I have no original ideas.

beckham9
04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
or roomate could be ahuge tool

InchoateHand
04-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Really? My life keeps getting better...and I had a lot of fun in my undergrad years.

SGS
04-07-2005, 02:21 AM
condoms, don't raw dog it.

SGS

Shilly
04-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Other things I'd suggest:

A nice office chair
A fan (it'll be hot), or better yet, see if you can get an air conditioner for your room (say you have allergies or something)
A nice sound system
Garbage bags

Shilly
04-07-2005, 02:29 AM
I just bought a breathalyzer last week. It makes for a great conversation piece and will make you memorable / cause you to stand out.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 09:35 AM
http://mikepaus.myserver.org/images/couch.jpg

http://mikepaus.myserver.org/images/gorilladesk.jpg

http://mikepaus.myserver.org/home/httpd/html/images/couchimation2.gif

CCass
04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
You need a Neon Beer Sign like this.

Sign (http://www.neonsign.com/dealers/signform.html?section=eng_neonsigns&sign=coorlight bikinineon)

astroglide
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
god damnit, will people stop making posts of that stupid [censored] moving couch?

Voltron87
04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Stadium seating in a dorm room... brilliant in my opinion.

soccerboy9
04-07-2005, 01:54 PM
thanks for the ideas everyone. i have been thinking more about the roomate idea and maybe it would be best to have one. to the poster who said i should get new hobbies, well im going to college to play soccer so that would be kinda hard lol... keep the ideas and the pictures coming though.

Voltron87
04-07-2005, 01:55 PM
A lot of people are making this sound like going to camp.

mason55
04-07-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people are making this sound like going to camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif That's exactly what college is like... 4 years of summer camp without stupid camp counselors or planned activities.

jakethebake
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4 years of summer camp without stupid camp counselors or planned activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

They told you about those things called "classes" right? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

edtost
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
who goes to classes?

mason55
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 years of summer camp without stupid camp counselors or planned activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

They told you about those things called "classes" right? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, no wonder they never sent me my final diploma!!!!

ClaytonN
07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
bump, because this is a good thread.

Bradyams
07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
The best thing my roommate and I got for our dorm was a keg. Not a pussy pony keg, but a full keg. Fun, fun, and more fun.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I brought a VCR, playstation, etc, etc...Everytime I looked at them I thought about how much beer and food I could have bought with that money. Learn from my example.

pokerdirty
07-26-2005, 05:02 PM
a [censored] load of quarters. you will eventually have to do laundry.

Bradyams
07-26-2005, 05:02 PM
A PS2 is still a must have IMO. We had quite a few bets placed on Madden 2005, and Hot Shots Golf 4.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A PS2 is still a must have IMO. We had quite a few bets placed on Madden 2005, and Hot Shots Golf 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else will have one. This rule works for a lot of things in college.

sfer
07-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Beanbag.
Hookah.

Eegs
07-26-2005, 05:25 PM
KY jelly and some tube socks

siccjay
07-26-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

D: lotsa condoms. (buy them. buy them now. hide them everywhere. once, at the start of a school year, my buddy went knocking on every door in his dorm and passed out a handfull of condoms to each person, girls and guys, in the name of 'getting to know people and promote safe sex' i think it got him laid a ton. definitly +EV if you can do it without looking creepy)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a GREAT idea. Especially if there are chicks at the same dorm.

It takes balls but if you don't have them just say [censored] it and do it. It will greatly improve your college life.

clutch
07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
If they allow lofts at your school, the first thing you need to find is a nice sturdy loft.

RunDownHouse
07-26-2005, 06:00 PM
If this is purely what to bring with you, I'd say as little as possible. Wait until you actually see your situation before you decide what to buy for it. If this is a "my parents will buy me some basic dorm necessities when they help me move in," then stick with the big ticket items, like fridge (the no cube fridge recommendation was good) and TV and loveseat, if you've got that much room.

Otherwise, save your cash until you see what you're dealing with. Most of the stuff people have said here you can easily buy - or not - once you've been there a day or two.

handsome
07-26-2005, 07:41 PM
TV
Fridge
Bed risers
Brita filter
Hot pot (plastic water boiler)
Slippers for the shower

4-player Mario Tennis was a big hit back when I dormed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they allow lofts at your school, the first thing you need to build is a nice sturdy loft.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. A deck >>>>>> loft.
Also, FYP.

hobbsmann
07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hookah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

clutch
07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they allow lofts at your school, the first thing you need to build is a nice sturdy loft.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. A deck >>>>>> loft.
Also, FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep their lofts and pass them down/sell them when they no longer have to live in the dorms. My freshman year my roommate and I bought a kickass loft with plenty of extra shelves, etc. for $125.

It beats building one, for sure.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. A deck >>>>>> loft.
Also, FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep their lofts and pass them down/sell them when they no longer have to live in the dorms. My freshman year my roommate and I bought a kickass loft with plenty of extra shelves, etc. for $125.

It beats building one, for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if it's quality and it's still in good shape and fits what you want. On average, though, I think I'd rather build my own. I still stand by my statement that a deck is better than a loft, though.

benza13
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
$125 for a loft?!!?!???

Jesus, people sold them at my school for $40-50 brand new. And if you are the least bit handy you can build your own for cheaper. Sometimes the school will even provide lofts depending on the size of the room. In any case, make sure the thing is nice and sturdy, cuz girls aren't big fans of lofts that aren't completely stable.

Tyler Durden
07-26-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a loser.

mmbt0ne
07-26-2005, 11:10 PM
You people paid for lofts? They gave them to us for free once we request them.

pokertonbear1
07-26-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you dont know what beer pong is google it and make sure you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...knowing how to play beer pong (also called beirut) is critical.

Tyler Durden
07-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Buy a funnel and some Smirnoff Ice and then post about it like this guy (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1617116&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

soccerboy9
07-27-2005, 12:53 AM
laundry is free where i am going to school!!

since i started the thread i guess ill give u an update on what my room mate and i have...

well first off my roommate is from alaska so thats kinda cool, seems like a good kid i have talked to him on aim a lot, he will be our goalkeeper so im rooming with another soccer player so thats fun..

so our room will have:
tv, ps2, xbox, nice fridge (has a beer holder in it /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), microwave, we are trying to find a couch/ futon or something to sit on, thats all i can think of right off the top of my head.

we are thinking of getting a couple of fake trees, like palm trees but i doubt that would happen we thought it might look cool in the room seeing how the rest of the area is boring (why does rural iowa have to be boring???), maybe doing a wall-to-wall sand thing (ala old school).

well keep the ideas coming guys!!

plaster8
07-27-2005, 03:28 AM
If you can, make sure you get a roommate who is loaded and will buy lots of cool things.

My roommate freshman year was from Thailand. The first week of school (in Pullman, WA) he flew to Seattle, bought a $37,000 Volvo wagon and drove it back. The next week, he drove to Spokane and bought a massive stereo system that was FAR too big for our room.

The next day, I was walking home from class, a good 300 yards from my dorm, when I heard "our" stereo. As I got closer, the sound got clearer.

It was Rick Astley, singing "Never Gonna Give You Up."

Roommate and I had a talk over some Johnnie Walker blue label he had picked up. I never heard Rick Astley again.

ChipWrecked
07-27-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still stand by my statement that a deck is better than a loft, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference between a deck and a loft?

JHFC, the IBM AT came out my freshman year. Now I feel like I carved papers into clay tablets or something.

SCfuji
07-27-2005, 06:52 AM
dont get anything. make your roommate get everything. if you dont have a roommate, stick to the original plan. when you have to move out at the end of the year, you can laugh at everybody working all day to move their chit out of the dorm.

DasLeben
07-27-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dont get anything. make your roommate get everything. if you dont have a roommate, stick to the original plan. when you have to move out at the end of the year, you can laugh at everybody working all day to move their chit out of the dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this. Works like a charm. Last time I moved, it took me 2 trips in my pickup truck while the other guys had to get U-Hauls. Bwahaha. Ship it.

ethan
07-27-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hookah.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an excellent idea. I didn't pick mine up until junior year, but it got a ridiculous amount of use.

I got mine from Fumari (http://fumari.com/) - you can probably find better pricing on the hookahs, but their tobacco's much better than anything I've found elsewhere.

(Also, I can't stand cigarette smoke. This is much more pleasant, but I've tried not to make too much of a habit out of it.)

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still stand by my statement that a deck is better than a loft, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference between a deck and a loft?

[/ QUOTE ]
A loft is where you build a structure to put your beds up high in the air where they're somewhat out of the way. A deck is... well, it's a deck. It's an elevated floor surface where you put your bed below. Some people don't like their bed being so low to the floor, but as long as you can remember that you're in college and you can get past this, a deck is a much better option than a loft. It provides much more privacy and it's dark in your bed any time of the day, regardless of whether the room light is on. It also gives the room a cool multi-level thing going on. It provides a nice platform for stadium-style seating for movies and video games. It also gives lots of room for extra storage, if you wish for it to be that way.

Sorry I don't think I have any pictures of the deck I had back when I was in school - holy [censored] that was over 6 years ago.

Alobar
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
a roomate will be the best thing for you in college. If he's cool, you are going to have alot of fun. If hes a total douche, you are going to learn alot about how to get along with somone, which is also very valuable. Either way, you win.

As for dorm attire, go buy a blow doll, take it down and have it filled with helium. There isnt a bigger convorsation starter than a blowup doll floating around on your ceiling /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
who goes to classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. I missed maybe 5 classes my first 3 years.

TheMainEvent
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you talk to your roommate on the phone make it sound like you don't care about a TV or anything like that. That way he won't ask you to spring for anything, but he'll still have to buy it all himself. Then during the year you can pay for alcohol a few times and you'll still come out looking like the generous one.

TheMainEvent
07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a roomate will be the best thing for you in college. If he's cool, you are going to have alot of fun. If hes a total douche, you are going to learn alot about how to get along with somone, which is also very valuable. Either way, you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Let's look at the roommate "types":

1. Party animal. He'll piss you off to no end, but you'll have a great experience, and your social life will benefit.

2. Nerd. He'll stay out of your way and won't keep you up at night.

3. Girlfriend-at-home. He'll keep you up all night when he's crying on the phone from one of their nightly break-ups, but he'll also go home every weekend effectively giving you a single. This is probably the worst type. But once they finally break up, he'll be a blast.

4. Athelete. Probably won't hang out with you much, but he'll always be out somewhere so you'll have the room to yourself.

5. Frat kid. See 4.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Party animal. He'll piss you off to no end, but you'll have a great experience, and your social life will benefit.

3. Girlfriend-at-home. He'll keep you up all night when he's crying on the phone from one of their nightly break-ups, but he'll also go home every weekend effectively giving you a single. This is probably the worst type. But once they finally break up, he'll be a blast.

4. Athelete. Probably won't hang out with you much, but he'll always be out somewhere so you'll have the room to yourself.

5. Frat kid. See 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
You forgot the MMORPG gamer. Your room will always have the hum of an overclocked computer spinning 29347 fans and the blue light of a monitor all night. It will reek of stale cheetos and red bull / mountain dew, the remnants of which will be in a large pile right next to his last 3 months' worth of dirty clothes (about 9 shirts, a pair of shorts, and 43 tighty-whities). You may wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of frantic typing and intermittent bursts of serial-killer/rapist type laughter, followed by more frantic typing and the crunch crunch of cheetos. You'll learn all about battle axes, cloaking spells, level 9 Orcs, and the like. Your room will not be the party room.

ChipWrecked
07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A loft is where you build a structure to put your beds up high in the air where they're somewhat out of the way. A deck is... well, it's a deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lofts were pretty common even when I was a dorm-rat and Fred Flintstone was my roommate. The deck concept is pretty effin' cool.

dlk9s
07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Frat kid. See 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or there's just the normal guy, which I guess I was. I studied like a student should, but wasn't a big partier. My friends all partied, so I just hung out whereever they did. Didn't drink, smoke, shoot up, or anything. Was into sports, but did not play anything besides intramurals once I got to college.

Back to the OP - good call on the roommate. My freshman roommate turned out to be my best friend and college and we lived together (with a couple other guys) for the remaining three years. Some of our friends had losers for roommates, but hell, that just made our friends stick together more.

Cool idea with the trees in the room. Make that work.

As for the PS2/TV, it can be boom or bust. If you hang out and watch TV/play games too much, you won't have a social life. BUT...if you make your room the "hang out", it can rule. My roommate and I were the only ones (for most of the year) in our hall with a TV. Our room became the place for everyone to get together. Add to that the fact that I had Doom II on my computer (dating myself a bit) and it became a fun room.

Use what you have to your advantage.

BeerMoney
07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I recommend a gravity bong. Easy. Low Cost. Nothing, and I mean nothing hits like a gravity bong.

TheMainEvent
07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend a gravity bong. Easy. Low Cost. Nothing, and I mean nothing hits like a gravity bong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you could just make one by cutting a 2-liter coke bottle in half

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A loft is where you build a structure to put your beds up high in the air where they're somewhat out of the way. A deck is... well, it's a deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lofts were pretty common even when I was a dorm-rat and Fred Flintstone was my roommate. The deck concept is pretty effin' cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they're definitely the way to go. I forgot to mention how they much more drunk and illness friendly. It's much easier to crawl into bed under a deck when drunk/sick than it is to climb into a loft - getting out much the same. Also, you don't have a [censored] jungle-gym apparatus cluttering up your room - it's much more clean and open.

BeerMoney
07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you could just make one by cutting a 2-liter coke bottle in half

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can. I don't recommend that size though.. Really, about a .5 liter would be better. (And actually still too much. ) You still of course need a bowl and a screen.

edtost
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who goes to classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. I missed maybe 5 classes my first 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is why being friends with seniors instead of other freshmen is much more fun, but ---ev for your gpa.

ChipWrecked
07-28-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they're definitely the way to go. I forgot to mention how they much more drunk and illness friendly. It's much easier to crawl into bed under a deck when drunk/sick than it is to climb into a loft - getting out much the same. Also, you don't have a [censored] jungle-gym apparatus cluttering up your room - it's much more clean and open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention that, because one thought that crossed my mind was that you want to make sure nobody on the deck can sick up directly into your bed.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-28-2005, 01:24 AM
If you really don't want a roommate, then you've got to get yourself some hardcore Satanic paraphernalia. Whenever they assign a new roommate to your room, just spread the stuff out, light a couple candles, and go around mutting incomprehensible phrases. It should keep you roommate free, though there may be some negative dating consequences. I haven't tried it myself, but it worked perfectly for my buddy down the hall when I lived in dorms.

Clarkmeister
07-28-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really don't want a roommate, then you've got to get yourself some hardcore Satanic paraphernalia. Whenever they assign a new roommate to your room, just spread the stuff out, light a couple candles, and go around mutting incomprehensible phrases. It should keep you roommate free, though there may be some negative dating consequences. I haven't tried it myself, but it worked perfectly for my buddy down the hall when I lived in dorms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reported to moderators for attempting to convert other posters to Satanism.

SaintAces
07-28-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reported to moderators for attempting to convert other posters to Satanism.

[/ QUOTE ]

MarkL444
07-28-2005, 02:55 AM
you dont need a bigger tv. focus on spending as little time as possible in your room.

DasLeben
07-28-2005, 03:06 AM
When your school allows, get an apartment off-campus. Best...decision...ever. Oh wait, I did that 3 years ago. Holla.

ClaytonN
07-28-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When your school allows, get an apartment off-campus. Best...decision...ever. Oh wait, I did that 3 years ago. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to ask raptor for permission to use that phrase. Holla.

DasLeben
07-28-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to ask raptor for permission to use that phrase. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is OOT, not STT. Anyways, he says "holla" with no capitalisation and no punctuation. And, I say "holla" in 1 out of every 500 posts. I don't think that's copyright infringement. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DasLeben
07-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Speaking of which, I need to start posting in STT again. Maybe if I didn't bust my BR. Meh.

ClaytonN
07-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Oh, but I think it is. Copout. Holla.

re: dorm room, I just got a kickass alarm clock for $20 that allows you to set different wake-up times for every day of the week. Definitely will be helpful.