PDA

View Full Version : You must be NUTS! (another sports thread)

bholdr
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
The "most clutch" threads, etc, got me thinking... What do you all consider to be the craziest and most dangerous events/sports in the world, as in "you must be friggin nuts! why would you do that?" of course, i don't include events that are done BECAUSE of their nuttiness (such as daredevil motorcycling: evil kenivel, etc)

some things that popped into my mind:

-Any form of bobsledding, esp the skeleton. (what are you thinking?!)
-Ironman triathalon/ 100 mile runs, etc (freakin' mastochists)
-Downhill mountain biking (i have seen some pretty bad wrecks)
-B.A.S.E jumping (can't screw up even once, ever.)
-Running with the bulls in spain (this is kind of one of those 'because it's nutty' things, i suppose)
-Skateboarding (just 'cause at any moment you can fall and break damn near anything- including a testicle)
-Big wave surfing (just asking for it, IMO)
-Freeclimbing (what if i get tired? nah... won't happen...)
-UFC fighting, K-1, etc (you're GONNA get hurt. that's the point)
-Freestyle moto (just a matter of time till one of those guys dies)
-The Downhill (85 MPH+ going down a 45 degree slope made of solid ice wearing nothing but a skin suit and a helmet. they say that when you fall, if you're lucky enough to slide instead of tumble, the suit melts. that's not true. it's your SKIN that melts, the suit just falls apart *shudder*)
-extreme skiing (the real sht, not the BS that passes for 'extreme' in the U.S.- in chamonix in the 70s where the sport was born, it was you-fall-you-die)

it's hard to beat the no-screw-up ones- freeclimbing, base, and extreme skiing, but i think BASE is actually relitivly safe, the extreme skiing is not to terribly crazy, as they go really slow and carefully- not terribly exciting to watch if you haven't done something simaler and know how it feels, and freeclimbing, well, they wouldn't try if they didn't KNOW that they could do it, right?

it's probably either the downhill or freestyle moto, IMO. thoughts?

tbach24
04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Gladiators

bholdr
04-06-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gladiators

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... that's PRETTY nuts... i geuss...

jstnrgrs
04-06-2005, 10:17 PM
not the American variety, I assume.