PDA

View Full Version : What makes "Supersystem soo good?"

AdvancedPlaya
04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Almost everytime I try to watch Poker on TV, i hear about Doyle's "legendary" "Supersystem". I don't get it. I read the book, but i don't really get what "GREAT" secrets he gave away that had never been released before. With only about 200/600 pages about Hold'em, what most of us concentrate on, it seems like any other Hold'em book I have read, if not a little more limited on info. So why all the Hype? I do not understand. Please, i need a reasonalbe explanation!!!

lastchance
04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
This was the original book on Poker. Imagine if you will, before HPFAP, and SSH, and HoH. Doyle Brunson pretty much introduced the system of semibluffing and aggression to No-Limit Poker. This was the first strategy book on Poker actually worth buying. And while it's not HoH right now, there are still not many very good NLHE poker books out there.

Mason Malmuth
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi lastchance:

Somehow you missed the point of my other thread. Hold 'em Poker by David Sklansky came out before Doyle's SS.

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle Brunson pretty much introduced the system of semibluffing and aggression to No-Limit Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing poker in public cardrooms since about 1980. As far as I could tell, no limit hold 'em was not spread on a regular basis almost anywhere until just a couple of years ago. That's why there is very little currently written on it. But new books are on the way.

Best wishes,
Mason

royaltrux
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Everyone that is hot at the moment Daniel, Gus, Flack, Antonio and Ivey all play the way that Doyle lays out in SS. Even though Flack is the only one that says he hasn't read it his style is a perfect fit to SS.

I am a 2+2 disciple but I recognize that most of the players we love these days looked to Doyle for their blueprint, not Sklansky & Co.

Sklansky does teach an aggressive strategy but Daniel and others have stated that it's too stale for them. They enjoyed TOP but since David's books are more geared toward limit today's pros absorbed every word of SS and took it to its limits.

SS is talked about because all of the major poker stars of today spent many nights reading and rereading it.

I am not saying it's better than 2+2 books I'm just saying that the style Doyle layed out is the one in style at the moment.

Mason Malmuth
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi royaltrux:

The no limit strategy given in SS (or SS2 since it is the same) is for cash games, not tournaments. The players you mention all employ a loose aggressive style, and are very good at it, in no limit tournaments. That's a very different game.

Best wishes,
Mason

royaltrux
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
you're right. My mistake.

Beavis68
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
And I thought Gus said the only book he ever read was HPFAP.

Daniel doesn't seem to be that aggressive either, he seems to like to call and let people trap themselves.

royaltrux
04-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I disagree with you that Daniel is not agressive.

Do you see why?

AdvancedPlaya
04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Only 100/600 pages about hold'em? Why is it sooo good???

splashpot
04-09-2005, 05:45 PM
You're posts are getting annoying. Find out for yourself by reading it.

AdvancedPlaya
04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Splashpot,

I DID READ IT! That is why I am so AMAZED it gets so much what I think to be 'undeserved credit.' Your posts are silly. Go away.