PDA

View Full Version : Playing out of my league PLHE

D.J.
10-24-2002, 11:12 PM
This hand is about 6 weeks old, but it still haunts me. I was playing in the 10-20 PLHE at commerce in LA, keep in mind the biggest PL game I had played in before this was 5-5, I just figured what the hell, I've been running good, let's see if I can make a score (this is the main problem with my game by the way, I try to play a lot higher than my bankroll permits). Anyway, here's the scenario, for the first time since I started playing poker, I sit down at this table and feel like a fish, I mean all these guys are damn good or they at least appear to be. I sit down with 2K and play air tight for the first hour or so and then pick up 99 in the sb with 2.4K. A guy in mp raises, button re-raises, and I call with 99 in the worst position, I know I probably should have mucked pre-flop, but the mp guy, I didn't trust him farther than I could throw him and the button guy has played a variety of hands both good and bad, so I didn't know where to put him. So, I call, mp calls and the flop come 9-3-3 and I almost sh*t myself. I check, mp bets the pot, button raises the pot, I raised at this point, all hell was breaking loose, call,call. Turn 7, I bet the pot, mp raises the pot, button calls, and I'm thinking oh sh*t somebody has 3-3, I call. River Q, by this point I just check, mp bets the pot, button raises the pot, I call all-in as does mp. Ready for the showdown? Button proudly turns over QQ, and mp slams down in disgust his A-3 and complains about his bad beat, I don't even show. That was a pretty sick and expensive beat for me, and I haven't played PL since. I really don't know how the button called with all that heat, but he did and hit his miracle card. I know that my pre-flop call was questionable but I had my reasons of doubt about the players I was up against. Just sucked to be me at that moment. Comments please, and advice welcome.

-D.J. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Jeffage
10-25-2002, 02:11 AM
1) Don't play over your head or with scared money.

2) For what it's worth, I'm going all in on the turn with your hand...if someone has quads they are going to have to show them to me, and I hope they don't spend my $2400 in one place. I'm not sure what you had left on the turn, but if you raise it all in you at least give the button a chance to fold his QQ, esp if the MP player comes over the top.

Jeff

qwerty
10-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Where all the raises pot size ? If yes, your flop check-raise would have all-in.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Qwerty