PDA

View Full Version : button hand i have a question on...

syphlix
04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Did i play this hand correctly?... should i have bet on the turn?

I called thinking that if i raised all in i'd get called anyways... and if something happened i could just fold and hopefully the small stack would die...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t3515)
Button (t3090)
Hero (t970)
BB (t425)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes.

Flop: (t1500) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t1500) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero All in, UTG folds.

wth is wrong w/ the converter on tourney hands?

Patrick Duffy
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
so BB is all in anyway? if so, common courtesy says check to the river to knock a player out unless you have a monster...cant really tell whats going on from the HH tho

NegativeEV
04-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Common courtesy does not factor into your decision here. Hero's play is fine. Checking to the river will not maximize value of Hero's hand. The turn bet is good and it will get called by the big stack with many worse hands.

NegativeEV
04-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Pushing preflop is fine here too. Calling then folding is not.

microbet
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I think you played it fine. You don't necessarily want UTG to fold anyway. He may end up being the one that wins and knocks out the short stack which would get you third place, even if you are knocked out.

In fact, I'm not sure you want him to fold on the turn either. There are some unlikely hands where small stack could still beat you, the river card could give the win to UTG, and UTG might fold on the turn. Say, for instance, BB has AK, and UTG has a 9 and would river a straight.

If the UTG sucks out, you are guaranteed third place. I'd say wait and bet the river. He will call with hands that you beat and if he beats you he will bet anyway.

There is some common courtesy to collude against the shortstack, but I think it is actually more honorable to just do what you think is in your best interest.

sofere
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
common courtesy says check to the river to knock a player out unless you have a monster...

[/ QUOTE ]

BLASPHEMY!!!! I ain't playin to be courteous. I'm playing to supersize my wallet.

That said, I think your line is fine. Your not gonna get a fold preflop from big stack as his odds will be irresistable. The only reason to complete is to possibly get it checked down to the river...you must call any bet after the flop.

Pushing the king is a fine play...you've got a great chance of being ahead of BB here and if you can get big stack out of the picture, all the better. If he calls, only one of you has to beat BB for you to cash.

I don't know what big stack had, but I don't think I like his line. I would only limp with a monster here. It seemed like he just wanted to get the bubble over with.

BB played the hand perfectly IMO /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

microbet
04-06-2005, 06:38 PM
I know you are unlikely to lose to BB, but with these stacks, getting ITM is paramount.

lastchance
04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
I think I would have moved in preflop. I really don't want to have to fold this hand somewhere down the line, and I want UTG coming along for the ride to help knock out BB.