PDA

View Full Version : Bar Tournament Strategy

ninjaunderwear
04-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I've been in a bit of a slump as of late at local bar tournaments. Thusly, I've decided to rethink my approach to the game. Some 2+2 input for me to consider would be greatly appreciated.

While these are bar tournaments, it's also a league with a grand prize WSOP ME seat, so along with the loose drunks there are players to watch out for.

Eight per table, 5+ tables. Players start with t7000 with blinds at 100/200. Blinds increase every 20 minutes and you can expect about two rotations at each blind level. Blinds change to 200/400, 300/600, 500/1000, 1000/2000, 2000/4000, 3000/6000, 5000/10000, 10000/20000, and so on.

So, you start with 35 BB which turns to 16 BB after the first 20 minute level (assuming posting blinds for two rotations). At the next blind raise, with blinds at 300/600, if you haven't already made a big move you can quickly find yourself struggling to survive.

How would you proceed?

ninjaunderwear
04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Perhaps some additional information will provoke a reply.

My original strategy at these tournaments was to fold everything except premium hands (AA - 88, KJs or better), with which I would raise 3xBB or more depending on limpers, position, etc. No matter how tight my image was, I would get played back with, sometimes even getting multiple calls.

3xBB raise is 8.5%+ of my chips at 100/200 blinds and 18.75%+ of my chips at 200/400 blinds. Clearly, losing just one hand is crippling. The other problem with playing TAG is how quickly I find myself in blind trouble and in need of choosing a spot to push in the rest of my dwindling stack.

I tried a different strategy of limping in early on with borderline hands, but this allows for the other players to limp with a full range of hands, making post-flop play a nightmare. I considered raising early on with borderline hands, but therein lies the same danger of crippling myself with one beat, which becomes more likely as I lower my hand requirements.

Granted, no risk no reward, but I'm finding it difficult to choose situations to risk my chips.

One thing I have found (which may be quite obvious) is that if I can get to around t25,000 when the blinds reach 500/1000 or 1000/2000, I can usually end up on the final table. It is the early stages that I am looking to improve.

I realize there is a certain amount of luck necessary to perform well on a regular basis in these types of tournaments, but any type of broad general advice for playing this unforgiving blind structure would be most helpful.