PDA

View Full Version : FOXWOODS NEPC 500....OVERPLAYED PAIR

LLKOOLK1
04-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Sunday I played in the New England Poker Classic 500$ buyin event. There were just under a 1000 people and first was 131,000..not bad for a 500....I was fresh off two final table appearences two weeks ago at the weekly tournements
(Fourth monday limit hld'em, and 10th Tuesday NL hld'em) and was super confident going into sundays tournement.

You start out with 1500 chips and the blinds 25-50, rising every 50 minutes. I really like the structure and though it allowed for the better players to rise to the top of the field, even though the starting stacks were obviously a little short.

The blinds were 100-200 and I had ran my stack up to about 3100 when the following hand came up. Before I even explain it, I know that I totally overplayed the hand, and blantantly looked over my preflop read on my opponent. But i wanted to post it here so i can really get a few other opinions than the local foxwoods guys.

blinds 100-200

Action was folded to me in middle position and raised to 600 with 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded around to the big blind, who had about 2850 in chips, who sat back and took about 30 seconds to make the call.

I sensed strength , and his decsion seemed to be raise or call, not call or fold. But after deleberating for about a minute, he elected to just call.

The flop came down 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif and the action was on him.
He instantly fired out a bet of 800, and I went into the tank.

My original read preflop was that he had a strong hand, possibly as strong as KK QQ or possibly AK suited.

But this 800 bet seemed to scream weakness, and I decided he was on the diamond draw(AK or AQ of diamonds) and was attempting to take the hand down there, or at least put me on the defensive going into the turn.

I reraised all in, and he instantly called. Set of nines I asked? NOPe, pocket aces. His hand held up and left me with only 250 chips.

I battled back to around 3000 after some well timed all-ins but never got enough chips together to catch up with the rest of the field, and I bisted out with about 215 people remaining.Top90 got paid.

I know my play was overly agressive and I should have held on to my preflop read, without letting the texture of the flop change my decsion, But I would really like some feedback because it seems every big tourney I play I make this one enourmous mistake, that forces me to change my entire game plan/style.
-beat up on me guys, I need it
-Kevin

Roman
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
looks fine to be honest... tough break...