PDA

View Full Version : Just Got an XBox, I need game suggestions

fsuplayer
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I meant to make a post about this last night, but studying got in the way.

i just bought a new 50" TV (samsung DLP), surround sound etc, and thought it would be down right criminal to not have a gaming system to play on it, esp. with summer coming up so soon.

so i bought an xbox, extra controller + extensions, HDTV converter and some games. i have never played it before, but the graphics have always amazed me.

i picked up Halo 1, ESPN Baseball 2k5, espn hockey (or NHL), Doom3, and a combo pack with 3 games in 1, these are rainbow 6, ghost recon, and splinter cell.

i didnt really know which games to pick, and I dont get everything delivered til next week, so should I return any of these games, or purchase any other kick ass games or accessories?

i like games that are a lot of fun, and that can be picked up and put down week to week, nothing too complicated. i also have a roommate, so 2player games are a plus. playing online could be an option, but i didnt buy a subscription yet.

on a side note, years ago, i had summer X games for PS1 (i think that was the name, with rollerblading, biking, road luge and other stuff), that game was so awesome, any others similar to it out right now?

thanks

fsuplayer

pshreck
04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Halo 2 if you do get xbox live, other wise no.

tbach24
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (favorite non-sports game ever)
My roomate plays video games all day, so I never really get a chance to play much any more, but I remember that game kicked so much ass.

pshreck
04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Dont know why I didnt think of this one right away...

Ninja Gaiden.

Quite possibly my favorite single player game ever. This is a must buy.

Sporky
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just bought a new 50" TV (samsung DLP), surround sound etc, and thought it would be down right criminal to not have a gaming system to play on it, esp. with summer coming up so soon.

so i bought an xbox, extra controller + extensions, HDTV converter and some games.

[/ QUOTE ]

best...roommate.......ever

ceyoung
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
i just got the new splinter cell, its pretty sweet

mercenaries is fun for a while but loses its novelty halfway through.

ninja gaiden is the best game (other than halo2) that i own. it'll take you 30hours to complete, and there are lots of unlockables.

if you like sports i prefer the 2k5 series. madden and nfl 2k5 are about equal. nba 2k5 is miles ahead of nba live. and the 2k5 games cost half as much. tiger woods 2005 is also an awesome game.

you need to get xbox live and halo2 to get the most out of your xbox. the sports games on live also make it worth the $50 for the year.

fsuplayer
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
alright, ninja gaiden is now 2nd on my list, right behind tiger woods 2k5, how could i forget that?

i think ill just stop being a nit and buy the 1yr subscription to x box live, and exchange halo1 for 2. should i buy one of those ear piece thingys?

astroglide
thug2 supports 720p widescreen

stabn
Riddick.

ceyoung
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
get the xbox live starter kit for 79.99

it comes with the earpiece and 1 year subscription card. if you dont get the headset halo2 is not as fun. and without it, you can't make fun of people that you dunk on.

AngryCola
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Halo 2 if you do get xbox live, other wise no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this.

Halo 2's campaign is very solid.
It may not have lived up to all the hype, but what could?

Seriously, the Halo 2 campaign is better than the single player mode in Halo 1.
The level design is much better, and all the new additions added a lot to the gameplay.

I don't think that any other FPS Xbox games' single player modes are as good as the campaign in Halo 2.

Legendary is great fun.

I'm actually getting bored with Halo 2 multiplayer on Live.
Maybe the new maps will renew my interest.

The Goober
04-06-2005, 04:59 PM
You absolutely need to get NHL Rivals 2004 /images/graemlins/grin.gif (the 3-on-3 mode on xbox live is actually pretty sweet)

And Ninja Gaiden is an awesome game, but its hard as hell and extremely frustrating - between the ridiculous boss battles and the camera troubles, I hated to love that game for a long time before I finally gave up (which was a good thing for both my controller and my sanity).

Sponger15SB
04-06-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you dont get the headset halo2 is not as fun. and without it, you can't make fun of people that you dunk on.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, yeah last year when I lived with a guy who owned an x-box with live we used to get really wasted and just own the [censored] out of everyone at Amped snowboarding and then talk a bunch of [censored] cause all of us were like 10x better than whoever 2nd place was.

slavic
04-06-2005, 05:03 PM
The EA College football game is awesome. It saved me while in the hospital.

Dr. Strangelove
04-06-2005, 05:05 PM
You might like Prince of Persia. Knights of the Old republic and Morrowind game of the year edition if you don't hate RPGs.
Basically what everyone else said.

ceyoung
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might like Prince of Persia. Knights of the Old republic and Morrowind game of the year edition if you don't hate RPGs.
Basically what everyone else said.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that KOTOR was kind of a weak RPG. it was really easy, and im not a big fan of the fighting style. its lame that its still turn by turn fighting, but you need to be in the right position to actually hit people on your turn.

Fable was a much more enjoyable RPG, but it only took me 10 hours to finish.

AngryCola
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought that KOTOR was kind of a weak RPG....

...Fable was a much more enjoyable RPG,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.
But I realize you can't be convinced otherwise.

KOTOR > Fable

ceyoung
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
KOTOR is the better RPG in breadth and scope, but fable was more enjoyable, at least for me.

fsuplayer
04-06-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so i bought an xbox, extra controller + extensions, HDTV converter and some games.

[/ QUOTE ]

best...roommate.......ever

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, yeah, he's a lucky f*ck.

AngryCola
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i just got the new splinter cell, its pretty sweet

[/ QUOTE ]

This game is reaching my house via UPS on Friday. I was a huge fan of the first Splinter Cell. The quick sequel left me a bit lukewarm in the single player department, but I found the multiplayer to be very new and different. I think that I still have more urges to play that game's multiplayer than the one found in Halo 2.

So, I hear the engine is new in the latest SC, and the multiplayer is back with more maps.
This excites me...<font color="white">physically.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
ninja gaiden is the best game (other than halo2) that i own. it'll take you 30hours to complete, and there are lots of unlockables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat that game once, and it felt like a real victory. Those are the types of games we need to see more of these days. I love the NES titles that were so hard you threw the controller around sometimes. Give me a challenge!

fsuplayer
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
bump for the evening crew.

also, anyone know of a comparable game to the one i talked about at the end of my thread?

thanks.

pshreck
04-06-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump for the evening crew.

also, anyone know of a comparable game to the one i talked about at the end of my thread?

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the good games were mentioned, for the most part.

Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, both KOTORs... a few sports games mixed in there.

Most xbox games aren't worth buying.

partygirluk
04-06-2005, 10:25 PM
The "Winning Eleven Soccer" franchise game is brilliantly addictive, easy to pick up and boasts online play.

pshreck
04-06-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The "Winning Eleven Soccer" franchise game is brilliantly addictive, easy to pick up and boasts online play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sentences like this can only come from a Brit. Nicely done, old chap.

TomHimself
04-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I havent played xbox live as mush recently, been playing more poker but they are having more halo2 maps? i want splinter cell3 soo bad

pshreck
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
more halo2 maps?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have no incentive to do this. I'm sure they will throw us a bone with a crappy map like twice a year, but I wouldn't expect much from bungie.

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more halo2 maps?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have no incentive to do this. I'm sure they will throw us a bone with a crappy map like twice a year, but I wouldn't expect much from bungie.

[/ QUOTE ]except 9 new maps. All will be free by the end of the summer, two will be released for free very soon.

pshreck
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more halo2 maps?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]except 9 new maps. All will be free by the end of the summer, two will be released for free very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have corrected myself: maps that are worth a damn.

But its cool that they are doing this, but from a business man's perspective, I have no idea why they aren't charging us. There are millions of suckers (probably including me) that would pay 20-30 bucks for an 8 pack of mp maps.

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
you can get all up front for 20, but they won't be available to play in matchmaking till the end of the summer. I fully expect the maps to rule. Oh, they are also fixing a lot of the bugs involved with online play(glitches, cheats, some physics stuff).

for more info, check out www.bungie.net (http://www.bungie.net)

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LethalRose
04-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Star Wars Republic Commando was a nice change..never a dull moment.

astroglide
04-06-2005, 10:53 PM
i just picked up street fighter anniversary collection, new game with 6 street fighter games (world warrior, championship edition, turbo, super, super turbo, sf3 third strike). brand new, has xbox live support, retails for $30. graphics are [censored] so it's not a good showoff game though.

Ogre
04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually getting bored with Halo 2 multiplayer on Live.
Maybe the new maps will renew my interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

MATCHMAKING SUCKS
www.mlg.com (http://www.mlgpro.com)

ilya
04-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.

Project Gotham Racing 1/Burnout 3/Midnight Club II (all great racing games, very PU&amp;P friendly)

Manhunt.

Panzer Dragoon Orta if you like rail shooters.

Shenmue II if you like slow-paced adventure games.

SSX Tricky, of course, if you haven't already played the hell out of it.

deacsoft
04-06-2005, 11:40 PM
If you like football... NCAA Football 2005 is pretty good.

Ogre
04-06-2005, 11:49 PM
www.mlgpro.com (http://www.mlgpro.com)
I edited my other post but it didnt work.

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
If you like football, either madden or ncaa are really fun, especially to start franchises with your roomate. Things can get pretty competitive.

Halo 2 is considered amazing, but unless you plan on playing ALL the time, it gets boring quick.

fsuplayer
04-07-2005, 01:58 AM
is any type of one person shooter w/ multiplayer capabilities more fun than this?

pshreck
04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is any type of one person shooter w/ multiplayer capabilities more fun than this?

[/ QUOTE ]

tons on the PC. with the limits to console online, halo 2 is easily the best for online console.

thatpfunk
04-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Not that I know of. It just gets annoying playing online becuase you know 95% of the other players are devoting serious time to a game you just like to play for fun.

I have fun playing it when its just my friends goofing around at my own house (worth getting 4 controllers for if you have 4 people over regularly, don't know your situation), but not all that much fun playing against 14 year olds who play 8+ hours a day. imho of course.

Isura
04-07-2005, 02:52 AM
ESPN NBA basketball is good if you have xbox live.

ilya
04-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Damnit!

BreakEvenPlayer
04-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Fight Night Round 2 came out not too long ago.

Incredibly fun game. Hands down best boxing game ever. Awesome to play one on one as well and kick the [censored] out of your roommate(s).

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have corrected myself: maps that are worth a damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're talking about.
At least wait until the maps are released before you go around saying stuff like this.

70% of the new maps will be quality creations.
I'm willing to bet money on that.

[ QUOTE ]
but from a business man's perspective, I have no idea why they aren't charging us

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't think you really understand the nature of the business. Of course it's in their interest to release good maps for free. The longer they can keep people playing their game on Live, the better.

fsuplayer
04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
thanks for all the replies guys.

i am going to return the baseball and hockey games (not really sure why i bought them in the first place), and buy tiger woods, ninja gaiden, and the boxing game, that looks awesome.

thanks!

pshreck
04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't think you really understand the nature of the business. Of course it's in their interest to release good maps for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at other online games, from shooters to MMORPGs. Now look at sales of expansion packs from the good ones (Road to Rome for BF1942) to the ones that essentially did nothing (WC 3, frozen throne). If the game is popular, people will buy them.

I think the reason xbox chose to promote free content, is because the online console idea is still new, and they didnt want to get ahead of themselves and assume everyone would do it. They were probably smart to orignally offer incentives to get people to join. I just think that they would have got more $$ in the end by just charging us each 30 bucks for an 8 pack of maps.

To say I dont understand the business (at least any more than you) doesnt make much sense. I cant think of many online games that offer free expansion packs when they don't need to (other than counter strike).

pshreck
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

70% of the new maps will be quality creations.
I'm willing to bet money on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why exactly?

CS, which was more popular than Halo 2, also offered free maps. Just about all of them were awful in most players minds, and the original maps stayed the most popular for the life of the game (Dust etc...). This was easily proven by just viewing what the servers were putting in their map rotations, and the maps that everyone tried to join.

I wont judge before I see them, I am just assuming most of them wont be better than what we already have.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cant think of many online games that offer free expansion packs when they don't need to (other than counter strike).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this really shows that you don't get it.

Counter-Strike is far from the only game to release stuff like this for free. FPS multiplayer maps are not treated the same as expansion packs in most cases.

It isn't surprising that Bungie is going to be releasing good new maps to the Live community.

It is expected.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just about all of them were awful in most players minds

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a good CS player who started before the time most people knew about the game at all. I think that I started during the second beta version, in fact.

Your statement simply isn't true.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I may be splitting hairs here, but I cant think of any game that offered a 'expansion pack sized download' at once.

Yes I know hugely popular online games like BF1942 offered new maps for dl. Firstly.... it was one at a time, and several months a part. What game released 8 'quality' maps within a span of 2 months? Can you name one that is even close?

After seeing people line up in freaking lines that Tuesday night to buy the origincal copy, I cant imagine why they dont charge us to do it again. Is it a dick move? Probably, but these 7-15 year olds spending 25 hours a week on this game, you mean to tell me they wont be buying any expansion pack instantly? Hell, 2 different people in my family alone would buy it, I imagine you would too (if forced to and everyone else had it).

pshreck
04-07-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... because 5 years in we were all playing the new maps, or the originals? I don't see how it isn't true.

On a side note... did you ever play in CAL, or at the CPL perhaps?

VBM
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
hahahahaha...was this a nostalgia-buy, spurred on by the thread here a few weeks go? i was thinking about getting it myself...

astroglide
04-07-2005, 01:28 PM
it helped fan the flames, but i was planning on getting it as soon as the xbox version was announced

i also grabbed a logitech cordless rumblepad (disabled the rumbling...) for my pc to play emulators. it's awesome, just like a slightly larger ps2 controller.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What game released 8 'quality' maps within a span of 2 months? Can you name one that is even close?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to drive the following point home a bit.

Halo 2 is a console game with a strong PC gamer crowd following. The originial Halo was supposed to be a PC game first, but then Bungie was bought by Microsoft.

The point is, since it's a closed community (only maps you can use are released by Bungie), people can't create their own new maps and play them on the system. The small number of playable maps on Live will not satisfy the base of PC Gamers who have grown to expect new maps, or at least more maps in the first place.

Bungie and Microsoft know this.
So, since they are the only available sources for new content, they have to step up to what the community expects. You better believe that more than a few people would be pissed about having to pay for new maps on a FPS.
If they irritate that sort of peron, they will most likely just go back to the newest PC FPS.

If that happens, that same person, who just signed up for Live to play Halo 2, probably won't renew his subscription when it comes time.

All I'm trying to say is that the community expects new maps, and if the game is closed to user development of such maps, the responsibility for the content falls directly on the developer and publisher.

In short, it's expected, so they're delivering.
Whether they deliver the content all at once, or give it one piece at a time, is their decision and not really an issue to me.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... because 5 years in we were all playing the new maps, or the originals?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't get is that many of the maps you probably see as 'originals', are not original.
Many of the most popular maps were introduced at various times during the development of CS.

stabn
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Halo 2 is a console game with a strong PC gamer crowd following. The originial Halo was supposed to be a PC game first, but then Bungie was bought by Microsoft.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by PC you mean mac. Like all of bungies other games were.

stabn
04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
desert combat - clap clap desert combat - clap clap.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't mean that at all.
Halo 2 has a strong PC gamer following.
The original Halo was supposed to be a PC game first.

Neither of these statements are false.
But yes, Bungie's previous games were for the Mac.
Marathon was awesome for its time.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DC sucked, and it was made by groups independent of BF1942.

stabn
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DC sucked, and it was made by groups independent of BF1942.

[/ QUOTE ]

A ton of people played DC, and, i found it to be more fun than regular 1942. It was unbalanced as hell though, most of the time i was playing it. Also, i'm fairly certain it had some level of support from inside EA...

stabn
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't mean that at all.
Halo 2 has a strong PC gamer following.
The original Halo was supposed to be a PC game first.

Neither of these statements are false.
But yes, Bungie's previous games were for the Mac.
Marathon was awesome for its time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain halo was headed for the mac. Maybe i'm wrong and it was headed for the PC, but i don't think so.

Edit:

From bungie.net - history of bungie:

"At the Macworld show in 1999, Bungie demoed, to huge applause, footage of a sci-fi shooter set on a mysterious alien ring construct. It simply looked spectacular. The list of features seemed improbable – network play, vehicle combat and huge outdoor environments. But Halo was to have them all, and more. But there was plenty of drama to come before it would see the light of day.

"

So yah...i was pretty sure.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I wonder if you're right and the Mac was it's orginial destination. But the PC was the last version I heard about before the Xbox news. Perhaps they were going to be releasing it on the Mac AND PC at that time.

Or...

Maybe it got pulled from a platform twice. By that I mean the game was originally headed towards the Mac, then they decided to go with PC, and finally Microsoft bought them and made it for Xbox first.

While you may be right, at one point it was a title destined for the PC before it would be released on Xbox.
Also, quoting that from 1999 really doesn't give you much information besides the fact that it was headed to the Mac at some point.

stabn
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Bungie would not have decided to go with PC. I think there were rumors, or they stated that they would have it ported to PC after the mac version. I think what happened is that there were a ton of rumors at the time that Microsoft bought them that MS would do it to get them to develop for the PC.

From bungies POV though i believe it was a mac game until microsoft made them an offer they couldn't refuse, and they moved from Chicago to Redmond.

AngryCola
04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bungie would not have decided to go with PC. I think there were rumors, or they stated that they would have it ported to PC after the mac version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the inside information.

All the magazine articles I have about it must surely be lying. Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that PC Gamer (read it for years) can't be trusted to report these matters correctly.

I defer to your great knowledge.
Please send a copy of your updated gaming information to my house on a monthly basis.

stabn
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
lol dude. I don't know what got up your ass, but it's ok to be wrong. If you want to believe everything that's ever been published in a gaming magazine go ahead. I'm sure you think halo 2 was delayed as well.