PDA

View Full Version : The swings in small stakes hold 'em

2+2 Junkie
04-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I have played no limit games for a number of years, but due to the recent craze in poker, I decided this year to tackle the limit game on-line. I started with 50 bucks and started at the .25-50 tables. While reading and re-reading small stakes holdem book, I was able to turn the 50 into $600. Since then, I have moved to .50-1 tables. However, I have run into some horrible beats and a really bad streak. Since them I have returned to studying my play and reading many 2+2 books, and have identified my play as pretty good overall, but continue to lose. Now, I am relatively new to this, so I was wondering a couple of things:
1. My bad run has been for about a month now. How long can runs last and how much can they cost?
2. What are some things to do to break the bad streak?

I basically am looking for some help as to understanding if these runs are normal and how much money do I lose before I get alarmed. Thanks in advance for your help.

sthief09
04-06-2005, 04:27 PM
how many hands is this over? do you use pokertracker? if not, the only way to gauge your play is by reading here and the micro limit forum and posting hands there.

private joker
04-06-2005, 04:27 PM
1. It depends on how many hands you play in a month. Downswings can last 10,000 - 20,000 hands, though they usually don't. The ones I know of mostly last no longer than 5,000. So if you're only playing 2,000 hands in a month, don't worry about it.

2. Take a week off and then just play through it. Try not to overanalyze your play. .5/1 stakes are not tables at which to pull fancy moves and make huge laydowns. Just play ABC poker from the books you read and make sure you value bet. You'll make most of your money from value betting.

2+2 Junkie
04-06-2005, 04:34 PM
As far as hands go, I tend to play in the evenings for about an hour to two hours on 4 tables. I get at least 1,000 hands a week.

Poker Tracker huh? Something every internet guy should have?

sthief09
04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Poker Tracker is great, but if you're working out of a strict bankroll, use the free trial for 1000 hands, try to make some money, and buy it when you feel comfortable shelling out the $55

if you're only playing 1000 hands a week then a downswing could go on for awhile