PDA

View Full Version : big draw very early

CheckFold
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Party $55, probably the 2nd hand of the tourney, everyone in the hand has 1000. I limp behind one other limper in CO+1 with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Button raises to 60, one of the blinds calls, limper calls, I call.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Check, check, I check, button bets 300, folded to me and I go all in. Is this good, ok, horrible? What about preflop?

syphlix
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
isn't CO+1 the button?

why not be the one to bet the pot w/ the 15-out semibluff as opposed to letting the button take it?... who knows mebbe that folds the button and gets you a free river if anyone dares to call...

i guess the all in is ok... yo'ure what... around 1:1 to win it?... i guess throw in a little FE and mebbe that tips the scales in your favour?... anyone think my thinking is off?

Phil Van Sexton
04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Why not to bet on the flop (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2006778&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

yanicehand
04-06-2005, 02:12 PM
for what it's worth, i like this push, and its one I would make. with 15 outs that makes u close to 60% to hit your draw with 2 to come correct? By going all in you either use your fold equity to take down the pot immediately, or you see all the cards that are coming with a good chance to double up (as any hand he would call all-in with you are drawing to beat). I like it.

CheckFold
04-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I thought CO+1 signified one to the right of the cutoff. I know UTG+1 is to the left of UTG, so there's no consistency in the notation, but it still made sense. Maybe I was CO-1 then. Whatever you get the picture. My thinking was pretty much exactly that described in the linked Paul Phillips quote.

YourFoxyGrandma
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Very sound advice.

syphlix
04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
nice link phil

CO = the button minus 1... (not that it matters here at all just more of an FYI... it goes UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, MP1, MP2, MP3, CO, Button, SB, BB)

BDarch
04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
UTG+1 is just the next person to act after UTG so if you said CO+1 it would be the person to act after the CO, which is the button

Bigwig
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not to bet on the flop (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2006778&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

If the pot were large, like close to the size of your stack, then open-pushing is fine. Otherwise, check raise is the best play here.

microbet
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Very different situation though. That first thread was on the bubble with big blinds and this is the second hand of the tourney.

I like the check-raise here, if you think it is the best way to get allin and most likely way to induce a fold. Against an aggressive opponant a weak looking bet that you expect to get raised might be better.

However, in the previous example, going allin was not a huge overbet and had plenty of FE.

CheckFold
04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
So do you think it being the 2nd hand of a tourney merits a different approach? I did take this approach for the reasons you mentioned. However, in my ideal scenario villain would lead for 100-150 and have to fold to my huge checkraise. When the villain led for 300, I knew he would call the all in but did it anyway. Is this play still correct?

microbet
04-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Tough one. If he is either on a flush draw or straight draw and has a better made hand than you (any pair or an A), you aren't in as good shape. However, you still have over 600 left and there is still good FE there.

If I really KNEW he would call the allin, I think I would fold, but you can't really know that, so I think I would push. If he had gone allin or bet over about 500, I think I would fold.

I would think he would fold to your push at least 20% of the time and probably more.

curtains
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
btw I think it's very unlikely your opponent folds here. They dont like to bet 300 into smallish pots and then fold to an allin.