PDA

View Full Version : Got under his skin (a bit long)

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-24-2002, 03:39 PM
$2-$4 HE on PP. Good aggressive game, majority of pots raised preflop, about 3 seeing each flop. I'm in seat 2, solid player on my left. I've been in the game about an hour playing tight (17% flops seen) and I'm up about 9 BB. New player joins on my right. For a couple of orbits I notice that he usually raises when its folded to him in MP or LP. To this point, I haven't gotten anything worth playing, and he's picked up the blinds uncontested a few times. Then comes this hand. He's on the button, I'm sb. Folded to him and he raises. I've got Q3o and call his raise figuring that he hasn't been challenged yet, he could be stealing. yet I fully expect to check-fold if I don't catch Qxx on the flop. BB calls.

Flop is J 3 3 - pretty funny, actually.

I check bb checks, button bets, I call, bb folds

Turn is T (J 3 3) completes the rainbow. I check-raise and he calls. OK, he's aggressive enough, he probably doesn't have a J or a T. Now I'm thinking he probably wasn't stealling, he may have a big pair, but he's probably put me on JT.

River is another T and I bet out. He calls and muckswhat I now believe is a big pair to my 3's full of T''s. Now the fun starts. Two hands in a row he raises and I fold (bad cards, sort of like Q3o /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) Now he posts an angry message in chat - all caps - he's yelling at me that I ought to be in every hand if I called a raise w/Q3o. I make the mistake of answering that I thought he was stealing, and he replies, 'yeah, i always steal w/AA'

I continue to play tight, he continues to rag me for being too tight (he should make up his mind), chases me in a pot I win and chases me in a pot I show down and lose to the player on my left. He types LOL (real funny, he lost as much as me on that hand) and leaves the table, his stack somewhat reduced. I play another hour or so and end up + 17BB for the session.

The moral of this long post is basically this: My opponent got rattled because I didn't follow "the rules" and he lost Don't get me wrong. I'm not an idiot. I know that If I call raises even rarely with Q3o, I'll lose money. But sometimes you make a play because the circumstances feel right. In retrospect, even though I now think my read that he was stealing was wrong, the timing of this admittedly risky gamblers play was right, and I happened to catch a lucky flop.

There it is, your standard *bad beat* story from the other perspective.

Al Schoonmaker
10-24-2002, 06:56 PM
Thanks for a "good beat" story, one in which the teller is the "lucky idiot" who sucked out. We have all done it, but rarely admit it. We'd rather tell bad beat stories because they help us to justify not getting the results we "deserve."

If we're honest, we'd all admit that we've made mistakes that have won pots, including huge ones. Twice I completely misread the situation, capped on the turn with one out, and caught a miracle card.

I tell these stories on myself for two reasons. First, to keep my head on straight by reminding myself that I've been lucky and dumb. Second, to keep myself from being too upset when other people suck out on me.

Regards,

Al

baggins
10-26-2002, 06:55 AM
that's good advice Al. keeps us humble, which i believe is the only place for a truly disciplined poker player to keep his or her ego.