PDA

View Full Version : gawd... i'm not sure if i coulda avoided this...

syphlix
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
is there anything i coulda done differently?...
i was debating just pushing all in on the flop... but for some reason decided that the 3x bet would be enough on a flop like that..

after i get raised... do i have any choice but to call?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t720)
Button (t1305)
SB (t1715)
Hero (t920)
UTG (t3340)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets 300, MP folds, Sb raises all in, Hero calls

btw does the converter mess up a lot on on tourney hands?... seems i have to edit them a lot bc something messes up

Magic8Ball
04-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes

No

Yes

syphlix
04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
ok care to explain the first "yes"?

Phil Van Sexton
04-06-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok care to explain the first "yes"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a few ways to play this, but if someone has a Queen, I'm going to lose my stack in every scenario.

I think you played it fine.

syphlix
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
phil, do you think it was better to push or to 3x it?...

also... what are some of these other ways you can think to play it?

syka16
04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Induce a bluff. check/call the push.

RobGW
04-06-2005, 01:24 PM
You could have pushed PF if MP was playing too tight. Those $200 in the pot would look nice in your stack. I like to teach people to fold to my BB. No need to push the flop as you will be called by better hands but chase out worse hands. No need to fold to his raise either as you are past the inflection point imo and besides, he could have K with weak kicker. Don't forget he was in the SB so he got a discount so he doesn't need a premium hand to be in there.

Phil Van Sexton
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
phil, do you think it was better to push or to 3x it?...

also... what are some of these other ways you can think to play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wouldn't push preflop since MP doesn't have a lot of chips. He'll probably realize his call of 100 was really stupid, and then call your push with A7 or 66.

I think checking the flop is OK. My only read of MP of him calling 14% of his stack preflop. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will push with A7 if you check.

Therefore, I probably wouldn't check. I don't want to give a free card to 2 players. If they have Ax or JT or T9, they should have to pay something to see the turn.

Betting 300 is fine, but I probably bet 200. I want hands like 55 to call thinking I'm trying to buy the pot. You may even get morons with A7 to call. At the same time, you are charging any silly draws.

I'd only push if I had gotten a reputation as someone who pushes a lot with nothing. If they've seen me push as a bluff of semibluff recently, they might be more likely to call a push than call 200 or 300. This situation occurs more when heads-up after we've been playing together longer, and I've determined that my opponent is capable of thinking at this level (or thinking at all).