PDA

View Full Version : Situations that I'm having problems with

fiyah
04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd like to give you guys a situation that is pretty common, and see what you think is the right play.

Blinds are 100/200

UTG (2400)
Hero (1200)
Button (900)
SB (1750)
BB ( 1750)

UTG folds,
Hero does what?

Lets say hero has
1) Kc 6c
2) Ad 6s
3) 8d 9h
4) 4d 4s
5) Jc 7s
6) Ad 3d

How do these decisions change if Hero and Button switched positions?

sofere
04-06-2005, 12:23 PM
1) Push
2) Push
3) Push
4) Push
5) Push
6) Push

If button and hero are switched:
1) Push
2) Push
3) Push
4) Push
5) Push
6) Push

kyro
04-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I push all but the J7o which i minraise and fold to a reraise.

gumpzilla
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
So you take your least favorite pushing hands and minraise with just them? Unless you do this to occasionally get buyers on limped big pairs, this seems incredibly exploitable. Even then, I'm not crazy about it, because if you're pushing a lot your big hands have a pretty good chance of getting paid off anyway.

fiyah
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Why the push with 8/9 and A/3? Specifically isn't the A/3 prone to domination by most calling hands?

sofere
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes, if called your almost definitely behind. But your FE is going to drop dramatically once the blinds hit you. Everyone in front of you will have a pretty tight calling range...if they call and lose, they'll be crippled. You'll win the blinds often enough to make up for the times your called. I think I'd push almost any two in this situation.

Not to mention the times you suck out, double up, and piss the caller off. The trifecta of SNGs

Phil Van Sexton
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Push
2) Push
3) Push
4) Push
5) Push
6) Push

If button and hero are switched:
1) Push
2) Push
3) Push
4) Push
5) Push
6) Push

[/ QUOTE ]

tsevier
04-06-2005, 01:01 PM
I think this also depends on what buy-ins you are talking about. Much of the advice on here is from more experienced players (than me) at the higher buy-in levels and my impression from most posts is that you would have some folding equity in this situation playing at larger buy-ins.

However, I play mostly at the party 11s and 22s and I think you will get called 3/4 or more of the time in that situation, whatever hand you have. This is especially true if you have already pushed a couple of hands.

This may only be my limited personal experience but I have found pushing in these situations with some of the more marginal hands on your list may have greater risk than reward. However, I don't have the sample size or math ability to prove that this is true. Just my thoughts.

Also, I think whether your are on the button or not makes a large difference in which of those hands you could push.

NegativeEV
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
POOOOSSSSHHH

Raiser
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Good thread. I would probably push all but J7o, but am seeing that's probably a leak based on other replies.

For those of you that answered, how do the answers change if you pushed 2 out of the previous 4 hands and got no callers?

fiyah
04-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Also are all these push situations at the $27 level on Stars? What if you've been pushing before at what point do you slow down?

Finally are these all push situations if you had the 2500 chips and not the 1200 chips? Which one of those hands are pushes if you had the chip lead with 2500 chips?

EasilyFound
04-06-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I play mostly at the party 11s and 22s and I think you will get called 3/4 or more of the time in that situation, whatever hand you have. This is especially true if you have already pushed a couple of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at the $11 SNGs, and I think that you are partly correct (I don't know if it is 3/4 times but it is probably more than you would like). But as someone else said, you don't really have much choice. You need steal blinds to stay alive, so you must push even though you are almost certainly behind when someone calls. The alternative is to fold and see your stack reduced by 25% as you take the next blinds. You need chips and the only way to get them is too put some in the pot.

tsevier
04-06-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at the $11 SNGs, and I think that you are partly correct (I don't know if it is 3/4 times but it is probably more than you would like). But as someone else said, you don't really have much choice. You need steal blinds to stay alive, so you must push even though you are almost certainly behind when someone calls. The alternative is to fold and see your stack reduced by 25% as you take the next blinds. You need chips and the only way to get them is too put some in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may well be a leak of mine and I may be overthinking this all. At least the Jack high hand I think I would fold in most situations, especially if I think I will get called. If I have a couple of maniacs at the table I also might prefer to let them take each other down and wait for a better spot.

However, this is just my newbie thinking and I am happy to hear why I am wrong.

pooh74
04-06-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good thread. I would probably push all but J7o, but am seeing that's probably a leak based on other replies.

For those of you that answered, how do the answers change if you pushed 2 out of the previous 4 hands and got no callers?

[/ QUOTE ]

then i wouldnt push any of them...the cards (barring a top 10% hand) are meaningless...Its all likelyhood of being called. If ive been playing reasonably tight, I push all of those hands here...if Ive pushed w/ no caller 2 of last 4 I fold here. 1 of last 4, I push...AT and 2 of last 4...push...AT and 3 of 4, I might consider mucking UTG...

FOld Equity
fold equity
FE

F equity

/images/graemlins/smile.gif