PDA

View Full Version : what to do w/ QQ-TT, AK vs a raise in early rounds

syphlix
04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
ok.. hypothetical... well.. not really since it seems to happen a lot...

20+2 is our buy-in of reference...

lets say... lvl 2... blinds 15/30

UTG raises to 90... you're holding AK... is this a call/RR (and if so how much)/fold?

how about TT-JJ or QQ?

how about if the initial raise is only to 60?

what if they raise to 90, 2 callers, and you have AK/QQ?

is this post formatted badly?.. if so let me know and i'll try and rephrase it a little more organizidbly :P

sofere
04-06-2005, 12:20 PM
What is your position in all of these?
Any significant stacks?

Magic8Ball
04-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Ask Again Later.

syphlix
04-06-2005, 12:51 PM
i'm assuming no significant stacks and i'm somewhere in MP or late MP...

jah0550
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
With 10s and Jacks, I would just call (hoping to hit a set). With QQ and AK, I'd throw in a reraise of about 250 or so. If UTG reraises all-in, fold all of the hands(depending on the player of course). If you are in a gambling mood, you might want to call with QQ or AK.

iMsoLucky0
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
organizidbly

[/ QUOTE ]

YESSSSSS! Great word.

Seriously though, alot of this depends on your style. Some people (myself included) try and avoid all early gambles in order to outplay opponents closer to the bubble. Others play a few more hands early.

A case could definitely be made for each of the options. Any specific player reads would always help. Sometimes, if I think the player isn't very bring, I will just move in witht hese hands. I will do this especially if there is a call or two. Calling and taking a flop to see where you end up isn't that bad either. Although, it is hard to get away from QQ on a 2 4 7 flop, but you might double through 99. Folding also isn't a terrible play if you are confident that by passing up these situations that later in the tournament you can make up extra chips.

sofere
04-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I play on Stars with deeper stacks, so I don't think I would fold any of these hands. With 800 stack...different story.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises to 90... you're holding AK... is this a call/RR (and if so how much)/fold?

how about TT-JJ or QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
All fold to you, reraise to about 200, fold AK, TT, JJ to a push...most of the time QQ too.

[ QUOTE ]
how about if the initial raise is only to 60?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd probably make it 150 to go.

[ QUOTE ]
what if they raise to 90, 2 callers, and you have AK/QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
AK I call, QQ I'm about 50/50 between call and reraise to 300 with 1500 stacks...with 800 stacks I probably push.

All of the above is barring any reads of the table.