PDA

View Full Version : What does 3 betting mean?

gattogratto
04-06-2005, 11:31 AM
I've looked at the faq and didn't find the information. In other sections of the forums, people often talking about 3 betting. Is 3 betting, betting 3 times the pot?

splashpot
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Player A bets. Player B raises. Player A 3-bets. Player B caps.

This is in reference to limit games of course.

gattogratto
04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
3 betting means betting after a 2 bets are made? Ah okay. Since you are here, what does cap mean. All in? Call?

snowlarbear
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
cap=raising to 4 bets in a round. this is the max you can bet in limit, and hence the betting is capped.

splashpot
04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Err...maybe you don't understand how a limit game works. In a 1/2 limit hold'em game, there are fixed amounts that you have to bet. The small blind is $.50 and the big blind is $1. If someone wants to play, they MUST call $1. If they want to raise, they raise to $2. No more than $2 and no less. If yet another player wants to raise again, he MUST raise to a total of $3(this would be the 3-bet). Most tables allow a maximum of 4 bets. So if a final player wants to raise again, he would raise to $4(cap).

The player must bet fixed amounts. He cannot go all in unless he doesn't have enough to cover the bets. The bet amounts double on the turn and river.

SheridanCat
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
In limit hold'em there is usually a betting cap. That is, usually, after an initial bet, three raises are allowed. Once the cap of three raises is hit, no more raising is allowed, only calling the cap. Here's an example:

After the flop, the first player bets. The second player calls. The third player raises. The fourth player raises again ( "reraises" or "3-bets"). The fifth player now raises, which "caps" the betting because there was a bet and this is the third raise. Often the guy who caps the betting will say "Cap it!" but that's just bravado. Subsequent players can call enough to match the four bets or they can fold. No more raising is allowed.

Preflop, the big blind is considered the initial bet, so three raises are allowed.

Just keep in mind that the most that can go in on a round of betting is 4 bets per player (except as noted below).

Some exceptions to this:

*Some Las Vegas rooms allow a bet and 4 raises before the betting is capped. The Mirage and Bellagio have this rule. You'll often see somone say "Cap It" when in fact there is still another raise allowed.

*When the game is headsup (two players) the cap is removed. This is not the case online - the cap remains. The rule varies on when the cap is removed headsup. Sometimes the betting round must begin headsup for this to apply and sometimes it is considered headsup if the round started with more players and all but two have folded. Ask the dealer or floorman for the precise rule on this.

Regards,

T

gattogratto
04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks a lot. i was an idiot. I always thought these notations also denotes to no limit too. That's what I usually play so I didn't really understand the terms.

bholdr
04-06-2005, 03:42 PM
"This is not the case online - the cap remains."

...except at the cryptos, where one can just keep raising heads up. i wish the cap HU went away everywhere.

SheridanCat
04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I stand corrected.

T