PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Report

andyfox
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
1) The most spectacular city in the world, including everywhere. The most incredible architecture, the best food, and the view from The Peak is unmatched.

2) They put too much starch in the napkins.

3) Air-conditioning rules. The cabs are usually a constant four degrees, and each driver thinks he's Richard Petty.

4) There's a market for everything. Just this morning, we visited the flower market, the goldfish market, the jade market, and the bird market. Spoke to a minah bird that spoke English, Cantonese and Mandarin. A multi-lingual bird.

5) If there was ever a city where the old poker axiom "money talks and bullsh*t walks" applies, it is Hong Kong. Mercedes is the car of choice.

6) There are more malls than cars, and there are a lot of cars. Shopping is the most popular sport, by far. Speaking of sports, all they show on TV is rugby and snooker. I've watched snooker every time I'm here and I still can't figure it out. You pocket a ball and the guy in the tuxedo with the white gloves takes it out. And you could play polo on that big table.

Oh, they also showed horse racing, but they run backwards, I didn't like it. (Well, not backwards, but clockwise around the track.) Damned English.

7) The greatest bargain in the world is the Star Ferry from/to Hong Kong to/from Kowloon for about 30 cents American.

8) In the space of an hour, the three of us spent $300 dollars for lunch at the coffee shop at the Peninsula, and then I bought three pairs of 100% cotton (supposedly) socks for $1.50 at a street market. While all cities have remarkable contrasts between the haves and have-nots, it's particularly amazing here. You can be in a skyscraper that looks like it belongs in the 23rd century and five minutes later feel like setting your watch back six hundred years.

9) It's a long, long flight from the USA. Fourteen and a half hours. The first twelve and a half breeze by, it's the last two that kill ya.

10) The subway's great. Clean, quick, easy to navigate. And they announce, like in London, "Mind the gap."

Cool place. If you have the chance to go, do.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Nice report.

VBM
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Andy,

I went last spring with my family. I remember thinking lunchtime was crazy b/c the streets are just mobbed by people in suits and businesswear...

also, i agree. eating & shopping in HK is fun. glad you had fun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TStoneMBD
04-06-2005, 11:31 AM
damn. sounds awesome.

sfer
04-06-2005, 11:31 AM
More meal reports please.

Shajen
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I was in Hong Kong right before the British relinquished the island back to China.

Great place. Did you make it out to the silk market yet? (I forget the name)

Loved the exchange rate when I was there. Lots of British people. Traffic was nuts.

Saw a lot of beautiful stuff. Second favorite place I've been outside the US.

(Australia being #1)

Nice report man.

mostsmooth
04-06-2005, 11:54 AM
please post some pics of the native females.
thanks

TStoneMBD
04-06-2005, 11:54 AM
ive been thinking about taking a trip out to hong kong in a year or 2 probably, but what concerns me is that i get the impression that nobody speaks english and therefore there is nothing to do and noone to talk to. arent you just some random outcast walking down the street with everyone staring at you?

Shajen
04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ive been thinking about taking a trip out to hong kong in a year or 2 probably, but what concerns me is that i get the impression that nobody speaks english and therefore there is nothing to do and noone to talk to. arent you just some random outcast walking down the street with everyone staring at you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, plenty of Brits and other Europeans around Hong Kong. At least there were when I was there.

Even if they all left, there's a TON of stuff to do in HK. Go, you'll love it.

VBM
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what concerns me is that i get the impression that nobody speaks english and therefore there is nothing to do and noone to talk to. arent you just some random outcast walking down the street with everyone staring at you?

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone speaks english and all the signs and menus and everything has english and chinese. plus, it's a more eclectic mix of people than you might think. bankers & business people from all over the world work in HK, so you won't stick out at all.

jcx
04-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, plenty of Brits and other Europeans around Hong Kong. At least there were when I was there.

Even if they all left, there's a TON of stuff to do in HK. Go, you'll love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to HK post handover, and while a lot of the ex-pats left, communication was not a problem. If you stay in one of the better hotels the staff will speak English (I highly recommend the Grand Hyatt). The street signs & subway are bilingual. Lan Kwai Fong and D'Aguilar streets are the main nightlife areas in Central and a good place to meet more sophisticated locals (likely English speakers) as well as ex-pats.

A trip to Lantau Island to see the giant Buddha is worthwhile. The Temple Street night market is a lot of fun. As Andy mentioned, seeing the peak (both day and night) and riding the Star Ferry is a must. Hmmm, I've got to get back...

bennyk
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone speaks english and all the signs and menus and everything has english and chinese. plus, it's a more eclectic mix of people than you might think. bankers & business people from all over the world work in HK, so you won't stick out at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was not my experience at all...YMMV

still an unbelievable city though!
bk

mason55
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm taking a trip next year and i only speak english.

luckily my girlfriend speaks mandarin and cantonese so i can't really help you at all.

JimRivett
04-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello Andy,

Did you have dim sum for lunch?

Jim

andyfox
04-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Of course. The best thing about it, for my wife, who like to eat and be served quickly, is that you can have twenty-three things to eat inside of 30 seconds. We also went to the seafood market where you pick out your live fish, bring them to the restaurant, and have them prepare it to your liking.

andyfox
04-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, at the others have said, English is spoken and people are extraoridinarily friendly. Two times we wre studying our map when strangers came up to help and point us in the right direction. In most of the city, all signs are in both Chinese and English; in some of the older sections, only Chinese, but it's not hard to find an English speaker. Even the cabbies, who a few years ago, in my experience spoke no English, now understand and speak some. Good idea, still, to have your destination written in Chinese. All the subways have clear direcctions in English.

andyfox
04-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't speak a word of either Mandarin or Cantonese and I've never had a problem here. Sometimes that means a bit of an adventure, but that's a good part of the fun.

[censored]
04-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds similar to Korea

EliteNinja
04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Sucks that my mom is from HK and I've never been off North America. We be a poor family. Time for me to graduate, move out and make some dough for myself.