PDA

View Full Version : attire question?psyc edge

Nepa
10-24-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm planning on playing my first live poker NL HE tourney at the TAJ in AC. Should I dress like a tourist or business attire or any other idea's? Is it better to were sunglasses or no sunglasses? Should a hat be worn? Are good luck charms a good idea? Just looking for some Ideas for the best psycholocigal edge. Thank you for your time

brad
10-24-2002, 06:43 PM
if you think you might give off tells like crazy a hat and/or glasses might not be a bad idea.

PokerBabe(aka)
10-24-2002, 10:28 PM
NEPA- Remember Babe's Motto at all times: LGPG /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Good luck in the tournament!

J_V
10-27-2002, 06:30 PM
You would have been better off taking the time if to took you to write this post, studying poker. The way you look at the poker table particulary in the context you describe has little has little to do with your overall result. What matters is how you play. Cultivating a profitable image in suit with your personality is one thing, but the way dress for a tourney doesn't matter.

hutz
10-28-2002, 06:02 PM
I agree. What you wear is super-low on the importance scale. Heck, I often play in boxer shorts and a t-shirt. Oh, wait, that's when I'm playing online. Seriously, as long as you are not a total slob (that's just rude), wear whatever you want and whatever makes you comfortable. If you are playing against observant opponents, your play will dictate your image. If they aren't observant, it won't matter what you're wearing.

Hammuh
10-31-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm a clean cut khakis-and-button down type. Last summer, when my wife and I went to the Mirage, I thought I would try something out. I had a 3 day beard, wore a camouflage (sic?) cap from one of my clients from Cleveland, TX, wore ratty jeans with brown dress socks and tennis shoes. I also wore three different horseshoe pinky rings and asked for drinks with whip cream in them. Didn't matter what the drink was, so long as it had whipped cream and I could get an accidental mustache. I played in disguise just to see what would happen.

It was wonderful.

Two people who seemed to be regulars in the 3/6 hold'em game actually kept talking to each other about me. They apparently did not notice that I played something like 3 hands outside the blinds in the previous 3 hours (unbelivably bad run of cards). Anywhoo, when in a pot with either of these guys, they called me down, no matter what. I knew never to bluff them, and they called every single value bet over the rest of the session. I assume my slovenly appearance, coupled with my obvious out-of-townedness, led them to believe I was a moron. It worked, but my face itched a lot, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to have a funny story to tell the friends back home.