PDA

View Full Version : How to make the move to 'mindless' play?

hummusx
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I've played a few (300-400) Party SNGs at the 5,10,20 levels (mostly 10). Overall I'm ahead. I don't have PT in front of me so I don't have the actual statistics. I have multi-tabled some, usually 2 but occasionally 3. It seemed to me that my win rate went down quite a bit at 3 tables and even at only 2 tables, to the point that I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

I've spent lots of time reading the boards here. I own most of the core books on everyone lists. I consider myself reasonably intelligent.

The issue: I don't understand how to make the jump from my currrent mode of play, where I pay attention to the table and try to determine what the best play is, to the mode that all of the serious players in this forum operate in: quick glance at the table and make an instant 'decision' on what to do.

Is every situation really so automatic? Sometimes I think I just need to sit in front of the computer with one of these people for 2-3 games and watch every hand they are dealt and what they do with it. Or the other way around and have them zap me when I make the wrong play and tell me why.

How do I get to the automatic?

apd138
04-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I really can't help you other than to say play more, and try not to pay attention to things that arent very important. For example I hear many people at low limits talk about mixing up their game and disguising their play. What's the point? Your opponents except in a heads up situation are not going to know how you played a certain hand in the past. Also these "reads" people make based on table chat or timing of opponents betting for example wait wait wait push are overrated as they could be trying to say one of a few things by pausing. I have played over 1000 sit and gos since February 16th and the most I have played with a common opponent is 8. Also playerview has helped as it clears up many borderline decisions for me quickly.

wuwei
04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The issue: I don't understand how to make the jump from my currrent mode of play, where I pay attention to the table and try to determine what the best play is, to the mode that all of the serious players in this forum operate in: quick glance at the table and make an instant 'decision' on what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Repetition. The more times you see a situation, the easier it is to recognize it and react to it. Just keep playing, this feeling will come eventually.

hummusx
04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Repetition. The more times you see a situation, the easier it is to recognize it and react to it. Just keep playing, this feeling will come eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that I'm often not really sure if I'm making the right play. Variance makes it very difficult for any sort of feedback loop to work (ie I made xxx play and the result was yyy therefore I will/won't make that play again).