PDA

View Full Version : Mike Petriv's Hold'em Odds

Warder
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm sure this has been brought up before, and I know for a fact was posted in the books/publications forum, but I wanted to ask ya'll in the probability forum what your opinion of this book is.

I've been thinking about purchasing this book, but wasn't sure if it had much value to anybody else who has purchased this. I'm pretty much looking for a book where I can memorize odds/probability, but also shows some math behind the numbers. For the time being I'm strictly concentrating on no limit and was also wondering if this books touched on implied odds at all? I know implied odds are situation dependent, but that's one thing that I've never firmly grasped too well. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last, is there anything that this book is lacking? I've heard a few negative comments about not being very organized and not showing odds for "hand types". If this is in fact is not a good book for me, could you point me in the direction of any threads,books,websites,articles that would improve my hold'em math? I think before I progress as a player I really need to have a firm foundation with the numbers.
Thanks a lot guys

OrianasDaad
04-06-2005, 01:35 PM
From what I understand, the book will teach you how to do the calculations yourself, which is much better than memorizing a bunch of charts. Once you understand the math, you'll be able to answer all sorts of obscure and weird questions.

I definately am going to get the book myself, just haven't gotten around to it yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as websites, I found this one very helpful:
Brian Alspach's Poker Digest (http://www.math.sfu.ca/mast/people/faculty/alspach/pokerdigest.html). It's heavy on combinatorics and counting, but well worth serious study.

Warder
04-09-2005, 02:43 PM
bumps