PDA

View Full Version : Start with ring games or sng?

TimLL
04-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm still quite new to the Texas hold'em, just finished Lee Jones book and get the basic concepts down. One of the toughest problem I have is to learn how to read what type of players I'm facing with.(loose/tight/manicacs etc)

Is especially hard playing low limit games online, when players will come and go every 3 or 4 hands.

Would it be better if i start learning to play the game thru $5 sng? That way I'm playing with the same players for at least an hour and get to understand their style. Plus i seem to like sng better, compare to ring games which require a lot of patience.

Hope this is not a stupid question, any comments'd be appreciated.

splashpot
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
It depends on your preference. Both types of games are easily beatable. But if your reason for playing sngs is to read player types, it won't work. The blinds stucture of online sngs is so wild that it is correct to constantly be changing your playing style. I forget who said it, but the best way to describe correct play in Party sngs went something like this: "Your play should start as the Rock of Gibralter and switch to kamikaze pilot." So it's next to impossible to categorize players.

the_joker
04-06-2005, 01:26 PM
If you can beat the SNG's as a beginner then great, play those since you like them better. I like SNG's better as well, but I am making more money at ring. I was basically breaking even at SNG's and was having trouble building a bankroll. Now I am thinking of taking a crack a SNG's again since I have more experience. I think as a beginner you may need to balance building your bankroll with fun. Good luck!

deacsoft
04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
SnGs require patience as well. Don't make the mistake of thinking they don't. I'm with the other's here in the way that you should play whatever you're comfortable with. However, I believe that "typing" other players comes more with experience and just as much as the time spent at the table with them. I suggest playing micro-limits and finding the leaks in your game, but if you're more comfortable playing SnGs go for it. Just know that they are different games and should be played different ways.

Benoit
04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your preference. Both types of games are easily beatable. But if your reason for playing sngs is to read player types, it won't work. The blinds stucture of online sngs is so wild that it is correct to constantly be changing your playing style. I forget who said it, but the best way to describe correct play in Party sngs went something like this: "Your play should start as the Rock of Gibralter and switch to kamikaze pilot." So it's next to impossible to categorize players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe at party poker, but that's not entirely true at poker stars. True that's a good strategy, but observing players will still get you better odds at knowing what range of hands they hold and which ones are more likely to give up their blinds to a steal later when the blinds go up.

...As for playing SNG over ring games, I think it's just depends on your playing style. Especially online when players don't stick around long enough to get a read, I prefer SNG and make much more doing that. I enjoy having the time to observe and set up plays for later.

But if I look back, I did start with the micro limit ring games first. But hey if you feel comfortable enough and want to try something new, then go ahead and try a 1 table tourney. You can make a lot of money if you're good.

Just remember to work on how you play. Selective aggression will get you much further then being weak all the time.

TimLL
04-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone. Currently I played 10 hours in party (.5/1), lost $20, but I'm not too worry it since I'm still very much a newbie.

Tried out a 5+1 sng(limit) and got killed in the 5th round. I have no idea how to play when the blind goes up, when one mistake or bad beat can knock me out of the tournament. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is there any books or articles on the net that specializes on sng's strategy? Thanks again.

splashpot
04-06-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone. Currently I played 10 hours in party (.5/1), lost $20, but I'm not too worry it since I'm still very much a newbie.

Tried out a 5+1 sng(limit) and got killed in the 5th round. I have no idea how to play when the blind goes up, when one mistake or bad beat can knock me out of the tournament. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is there any books or articles on the net that specializes on sng's strategy? Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

AncientPC
04-07-2005, 02:44 AM
You can get more poker on a smaller bankroll with SNGs. However if you can afford it play the 10+1s instead of 5+1s (10% vs 20% rake).

I prefer ring games myself, but it's more preference than anything else. Sort of like the limit vs NL comparison.

the_joker
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
"Harrington on Hold'em" is a great book for no-limit tournaments of all kinds. I also just started reading "Win Your Way Into Big Money Hold'em Tournaments" which seems to have a lot of SNG strategy, but I'm not that far into it yet to say whether it's good or not.

Tboner7
04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I would say do the SnG's. You don't have to worry about a couple bad beats taking a chunk of your bankroll. Playing the really low limits like .05/.10 or lower is good too.

webgator
04-08-2005, 10:44 PM
$5 SnG's and Low Limit ring both have their share of maniacs. I have been in many SnG's where there have been 3 or more people All In preflop on the first hand! If it's bank roll you're concerned about and you are just looking to get experience then stick with the micro tables like .02/.04 or .05/.10 and play some low $ SnG's...Pacific has them as low as $2.50. I bounce around depending on the mood I am in.

AnnieCruz86
04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Definitely start with the SNGs. You get more poker for your money.