PDA

View Full Version : Carter left off list for funeral

ChristinaB
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Carter left off list for funeral (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0406pope-presidents06.html)

When President Bush leaves today for the funeral of Pope John Paul II in Rome, former President Carter won't be with him. But whether that's because Carter didn't want to go or because Bush didn't want him was a matter of dispute Tuesday.

Former Presidents Bush and Clinton will accompany Bush as part of the official U.S. delegation to Friday's funeral. First lady Laura Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will join them.

But shortly after the White House announced its five-member delegation Tuesday, the Carter Center issued a statement widely interpreted as suggesting that Carter had personally requested to be part of the group only to be turned down by a White House that had spurned him before.

"After issuing a public statement of condolences last week, President Carter expressed to the White House a desire to attend the pope's funeral," Carter Center spokesman Jon Moore said in the statement.

However, the statement said, Carter "was quite willing to withdraw his request when he was subsequently informed that the official delegation would be limited to just five people and there were also others who were eager to attend."

It added that Carter and wife Rosalynn were "very pleased with the official delegation," but that did nothing to dampen speculation the Georgia Democrat had been excluded. "Bush Passed Over Carter in Pope Funeral Pick," said a banner headline on the Drudge Report, a widely read Internet news site.

Deanna Congileo, another Carter spokeswoman, declined to clarify the statement late Tuesday.

The White House not only refuted claims that Carter had been rejected but insisted that the former president had been specifically asked to join the delegation.

"We would have been more than happy to have him," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. "We reached out to former President Bush, former President Clinton and former President Carter to be part of the delegation. It was his decision to make."

Former President Gerald Ford, 91, has been in fragile health and was advised by doctors to limit his travel.

Carter's inclusion in the delegation would have carried symbolic significance because Carter was president when Pope John Paul II first took control of the Catholic Church. Carter was also the only president to host the pope in Washington.

jokerswild
04-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Bush doesn't like Jimmy Carter because Carter is an honest man of integrity. Bush exemplifies a deserter, drug addict-alcoholic, stock swindler (Harken energy), that permitted 9-11 in order to justify his imperialistic wars for oil.

Bush prefers Clinton. because Clinton is seen as morally corrupt. Bush has more common ground with a man like Clinton.

Felix_Nietsche
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
....what does Carter expect? Flowers and candy?

The ex-Presidents Club use to have a 200 year unspoken rule not to publically criticize a standing president, Carter trashed that tradition several times at the expense of Bush43. Eventually Carter did apologize for some of his attacks on Bush but Bush is right to keep Carter far away from his administration....

For a very biased and funny anti-Jimmy Carter site: check out:
http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/jimmycarter.htm
It even cites the time when Jimmy Carter kissed the Queen of England (talk about a diplomatic faux pas). While in Mexico he made joke to the Mexican president and once getting Montezuma's revenge (they did not find that funny). 21% interest rates and blaming the American people's lack of confidence rather than his administration's financial policy.

I think Reagan's 49 to 1 state victory over Carter SPEAKS VOLUMES what the Americans thought of Jimmy Carter.
Most of you did not live through the Jimmy Carter presidency will never appreciate how terrible he was as president. What amazes me is he supposedly has a genius level IQ and made top marks while at the Naval Academy.... But the one good thing about the Carter Presidency was the American people were so disgusted with Carter, they elected a 'radical Goldwater republican' called Reagan...
Thanks Jimmy and count yourself lucky you won a SINGLE state in your last presidential election. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Felix_Nietsche
04-06-2005, 10:49 AM
http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/cIarter.htm

Granted the Shah was no 'Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm' but he was 100 times better than the theocracy that took over in Iran and has been sponsoring terrorism for the last 25 years. What Carter (and most liberals) do not understand that when faced with the choice between the lesser of two evils:
Choose LESS evil...NOT MORE EVIL... Carter never understood this. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Broken Glass Can
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Reagan's 49 to 1 state victory over Carter SPEAKS VOLUMES what the Americans thought of Jimmy Carter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technical correction:

Reagan vs. Mondale was 49 to 1

Reagan vs. Carter was 44 to 6

andyfox
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Democracy in Iran was destroyed in 1954.

I'll let others elaborate.

Lestat
04-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Excuse my ignorance about politics, but why is this a political issue? It's a funeral. How can the White house say Carter isn't "allowed" to attend? In other words, if Carter wants to attend the Pope's funeral, technically he can, right?

Beerfund
04-06-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excuse my ignorance about politics, but why is this a political issue? It's a funeral. How can the White house say Carter isn't "allowed" to attend? In other words, if Carter wants to attend the Pope's funeral, technically he can, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but not as a member of the "official delegation" being sent by the US.

HDPM
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
It is an intesely political event. The Vatican is regognized as a state of sorts and the rules and customs of diplomacy apply. So it isn't just going to a funeral. When a former head of state attends a state funeral it is political. IMO the best thing is to exclude a buffoon like Carter. He consistently works against American policy. OTOH, you have to calculate the fallout of not dragging the buffoon along. I like the party is limited to 5 bit because clearly Carter is not in the top 5 to attend. I guess if he wants to attend on his own or whatever...

Felix_Nietsche
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Ooooops.....
How Carter even got six states amazes me... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mondale was much smarter than Carter. It should have been the other way around.

BCPVP
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
You'll pardon me if I don't feel sorry for Carter "The Trash Talker" Carter...?

Edge34
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush doesn't like Jimmy Carter because Carter is an honest man of integrity. Bush exemplifies a deserter, drug addict-alcoholic, stock swindler (Harken energy), that permitted 9-11 in order to justify his imperialistic wars for oil.

Bush prefers Clinton. because Clinton is seen as morally corrupt. Bush has more common ground with a man like Clinton.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do everybody a favor - go buy a gun and rent a bullet, if you get my drift.

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 07:43 PM
It was just reported by CNN that Bush staffers claim they invited Carter on 2 separate occasions.

Seems like there was a miscommunication bc the first time they could not confirm to the Carter "people" which other ex-presidents would be in attendance.

I truly doubt Carter was SNUBBED openly by he administration. If he was, Ill be the first to say that was wrong and completely uncalled for.

As a sidenote Carter does have a genius IQ and made like a 98+%? avg @ Annapolis in Nuclear Enginerring. Not to shabby even for a liberal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Why are you so obsessed with intelligence levels? You're like Sklansky. Carter is smarter than you, and that's all you need to know.

benfranklin
04-06-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do everybody a favor - go buy a gun and rent a bullet, if you get my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a bullet I'm not using right now that I could lend for a good cause.

Broken Glass Can
04-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Carter has earned more from warrentless attacks of the Bush administration than anyone I can think of. After all, his Nobel prize was a reward for attacking Bush. Bush shouldn't care one wit about Carter; Bush has a country to run.

zaxx19
04-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Carter>Me>A penguin>DEAD.

So yes Carter is smarter than me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cyrus
04-07-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Carter kissed the Queen of England ... While in Mexico he made joke to the Mexican president ... [about] getting Montezuma's revenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time you wanna have a side-by-side comparison of the gaffes committed by Jimmy Carter and the hundreds of gaffes committed by Ronald Reagan, just whistle.

[ QUOTE ]
21% interest rates

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time you wanna have a side-by-side comparison of the interest rates of Jimmy Carter and the sadistic interest rates of Ronald Reagan, just whistle.

You know how to whistle, don't you ?