PDA

View Full Version : When to call w/trash hands

WSOPstar2B
04-06-2005, 06:21 AM
If u have a trash hand (i.e., K7o) at what value pot odds wise does it make sense to call? How about as a SB?

cferejohn
04-06-2005, 06:27 AM
From a non-blind? I don't think I'm even calling with the likes of K7o. If folded to me, I might raise it if I felt I was fairly likely to get the blinds. Putting in a full BB to limp with it seems like it is almost never going to +EV unless perhaps everyone else is limping with almost literally any 2 (and even then it is close). It's a second best (or third best) hand waiting to happen, and when your hand *is* good it is quite likely you will not make much.

I call all sorts of stuff in the SB though. The combination of doubling your odds and the unlikelyhood of a raise (since only the BB remains to act), makes calling a lot more attractive. If there are hands I would fold though, it would be hands with a high card and a low card and no straight or flush possibilites. I'd probably complete K7o, but I might fold K2o.

If the SB is more than 1/2 the BB (like the first round of SnGs on Party where blinds are 10/15, I'm completing with literally any 2 cards.

DVC Calif
04-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I would normally fold K7o or other trash hands but I guess there are a few situations where it may be advisable to play.

1) When you are the BB, you have a decent stack, late stage (hefty) blinds, some desperate shorty pushes, and it is folded to you for HU play. Pot odds of 2:1 or 3:1 would dictate a call with any two cards.

2) Shorthanded at final table (final 2-3 players). Ace/King high hands are favored over random hands.

3) You want to build loose table image for later plays. Only if you can pull this off cheaply though.

4) This is the 30th hand in a row where you received K7o, J6o, Q3o, etc and you are sick of folding and hope others noticed how tight you've been.

My two cents, Steve

Cleveland Guy
04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would normally fold K7o or other trash hands but I guess there are a few situations where it may be advisable to play.

1) When you are the BB, you have a decent stack, late stage (hefty) blinds, some desperate shorty pushes, and it is folded to you for HU play. Pot odds of 2:1 or 3:1 would dictate a call with any two cards.

2) Shorthanded at final table (final 2-3 players). Ace/King high hands are favored over random hands.

3) You want to build loose table image for later plays. Only if you can pull this off cheaply though.

4) This is the 30th hand in a row where you received K7o, J6o, Q3o, etc and you are sick of folding and hope others noticed how tight you've been.

My two cents, Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

The only one of these where a call is in order is the first - when you are calling an extreme short stack.

The rest are hopefully all raise or fold situations.

joeboe2001
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
If you have a bad hand (and K-7o is pretty bad) being in the small blind doesn't make it any better.

On the other hand, if someone is trying to steal your big blind, K-7o is not that bad a hand to call them with (see the Theory of Stealind Blinds, posted somewhere on this site).