PDA

View Full Version : i want to go hang out at trendy coffee shops and play poker

daryn
04-06-2005, 02:34 AM
i'm serious. how much does this crap cost? are there any free places? isn't there some website? couldn't i just google it? am i too lazy to?

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm serious. how much does this crap cost? are there any free places? isn't there some website? couldn't i just google it? am i too lazy to?

[/ QUOTE ]

just sit down in starbucks with your laptop and they'll tell you. it's not that bad, like $19.95 a month or some [censored]. you better write in your livejournal while you do it though, or they kick you out.

PoBoy321
04-06-2005, 02:35 AM
wait, do you mean like sit in there with a laptop and play online, or go in and start up a game on one of those little coffee tables?

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Anywhere besides Starbucks is liable to be free. In the boston area there are tons of places. I play poker in coffeeshops, but I tilt my screen or else people keep talking to me.

PoBoy321
Hey, when did you get your account back?

tdarko
i was in surprise, arizona for about a month and i could not get a wireless internet connection for the life of me, so i went to starbucks since they had M2M hub and played for free. was i supposed to pay something?

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i was in surprise, arizona for about a month and i could not get a wireless internet connection for the life of me, so i went to starbucks since they had M2M hub and played for free. was i supposed to pay something?

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you have a livejournal.

tolbiny
04-06-2005, 02:39 AM
the Panera bread chain has free wireless in most of their stores.

Better yet though is to find a bar with wireless.

I found 1 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
wait, do you mean like sit in there with a laptop and play online, or go in and start up a game on one of those little coffee tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean go in with laptop, play poker, have people gawk at the stakes, etc.

slickpoppa
i think there might be security issues if you log-on to a poker site on a public network.

InchoateHand
As soon as I emailed Mat instead of bumping my thread. Funny that. I even had a quotathon a few days ago, but I stoped short of crashing anything.

tdarko
04-06-2005, 02:40 AM
there is and it tells you that before you can log on, but i was fiending so i didnt care /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
04-06-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
have people gawk at the stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

How big a factor is this?

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Your normal protocol isn't really safe either. I wouldn't worry about it.

daryn
04-06-2005, 02:43 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not really big, i just want to be an instant celebrity. it's not REALLY about the stakes, although i imagine some people would freak out at that stuff like if i was playing 100/200.

slickpoppa
i doubt there are dudes waiting in coffee shops to steal people's party poker password, but you never know

mason55
[ QUOTE ]
i doubt there are dudes waiting in coffee shops to steal people's party poker password, but you never know

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try now that you mention it.

Edge34
04-06-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or go in and start up a game on one of those little coffee tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this at Caribou Coffee up here quite a few times - always a good time. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Of course, one of the guys playing with us worked there, and we all bought drinks...but still...

Daliman
04-06-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preener. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
04-06-2005, 03:08 AM
there are 3 places near me where it's free.
2 of them are not listed on jiwire.com.

lots of coffee-house type places these days have free wireless internet.
even better when the weather is nice as a couple of the places have outdoor patio's. Sure beats sitting my apartment all day.

It's really not that hard...just look up 'coffee-houses' or whatever in the phone-book and there's a reasonable chance they will have wireless.

I have never paid money for wireless internet in any of the places I have gone too (I also have never done this at a Starbucks).

jrobb83
04-06-2005, 05:06 AM
You may want to come live in Tempe soon (http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/0321wireless-ON.html) .

Michael Davis
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
"i'm serious. how much does this crap cost? are there any free places? isn't there some website? couldn't i just google it? am i too lazy to?"

I thought you had some shadowy foreign girlfriend. This idea is definitely +PV. I think the amount you buy in for matters more than the table stakes, unless you are talking about 100-200.

-Michael

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I've done this but not at Starbucks. They charge you though? All the places I've been were free. Just buy a coffee and a muffin or something.

kenberman
04-06-2005, 08:46 AM
you live in Boston, right?

In Cambridge, there are 2 "1369 Coffeeshops" which are both artsy/trendy. both of them have free wifi. one is in Inman Square, one in Central Square.

they also have good coffee.

sfer
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
It would be much cooler if you were in a trendy coffeeshop and working on a screenplay.

In true New York, annoyingly minimalist cliche, there's actually a trendy chic restaurant called "Coffee Shop."

Evan
04-06-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be much cooler if you were in a trendy coffeeshop and working on a screenplay.

In true New York, annoyingly minimalist cliche, there's actually a trendy chic restaurant called "Coffee Shop."

[/ QUOTE ]

This city is retarded.

ggbman
04-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I spent a lot of time at my local coffee whop playing when i started to play online, it really can be a more fun enviornment.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I spent a lot of time at my local coffee whop playing when i started to play online, it really can be a more fun enviornment.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's a coffee whop?

edit: nevermind. i need more coffee.

Beerfund
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not really big, i just want to be an instant celebrity. it's not REALLY about the stakes, although i imagine some people would freak out at that stuff like if i was playing 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of when I was in Korea 4 years ago and had to play in one of their little rooms filled with 200 people playing whatever the cool new Korean online war game was. A lot of times I would have 20 people around me watching me play HU 10-20 on Paradise. Allthough I'm not sure they were convinced that is was for real money.

sfer
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This city is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

In SF during the tail end of the boom, there was briefly a restaurant called "Dine."

IndieMatty
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This city is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

In SF during the tail end of the boom, there was briefly a restaurant called "Dine."

[/ QUOTE ]

Cafeteria

Evan
04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Where is that Coffee Shop place? I feel like I've seen it, but I can't think of where.

sfer
04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Joe, which actually has very good coffee. Many many more.

bennyk
04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is that Coffee Shop place? I feel like I've seen it, but I can't think of where.

[/ QUOTE ]

union square

bk

sfer
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's somewhere between Google and Citysearch.

Inthacup
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
There's a restaurant in Nashville named Tayste

turnipmonster
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I hate that place, but the waitresses/hostesses are way hot!

sfer
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Ditto.

Voltron87
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
What kinds of wirless cards do you guys use for these expeditions?

mason55
04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This city is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cafeteria

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate cafeteria. Any my girlfriend always has to go when we're in NY. And God did I mention I hate that place.

Thank god it's not cool any more so I don't think I have to keep going.

astroglide
04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
panera bread has free wireless

sfer
04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was never cool, just sleek and modern looking. I took investment banker clients there in 1999 because they loved it. I rest my case.

mason55
04-06-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was never cool, just sleek and modern looking. I took investment banker clients there in 1999 because they loved it. I rest my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I ever went so that she'd pay for my drinks at the bars at night. I just assumed it was cool, although I've been told much of the appeal the attractive homosexual servers?? Maybe that's why your clients wanted to go?

Evan
04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
sferisatool.

IndieMatty
04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This city is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cafeteria

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate cafeteria. Any my girlfriend always has to go when we're in NY. And God did I mention I hate that place.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girls love that place. It's so weird.

mason55
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The girls love that place. It's so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my above post about the servers. Supposedly they're all attractive and gay, which girls love.

sublime
04-06-2005, 12:08 PM

hey bro-

i play occasionlly at this place in quincy that doesnt charge. some VERY nice customers. possibly to young for us, but who gives a fcuk?

also, the coffee is pretty damn good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sublime
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
parfaits are very goot

Evan
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
This avatar/location has gotten more attention than any other one I've ever had. 2+2 must love parfaits.

p.s. Come to NY soon, dude.

JTrout
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
There aren'tn any coffee shops like that in Guntown, MS.
But, Butch's Pawn Shop has wireless. Park around back so the local cops want gawk. Take a cooler full of beer and a lawn chair, let the tail-gate down, and voila- your own Lee Co. paradise.
Surprisingly, though, the trailer folk aren't that impressed with internet poker.

JTrout

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Better idea if you have wireless. Get a set of lawn furniture and set it up on the sidewalk in front of your house/apt. like it's a little French sidewalk cafe. You can drink all the coffee you want much cheaper and you're already paying for the Internet access anyway. I'm sure you'll get a look or two there as well.

daryn
04-06-2005, 12:25 PM
you live in Boston, right?

In Cambridge, there are 2 "1369 Coffeeshops" which are both artsy/trendy. both of them have free wifi. one is in Inman Square, one in Central Square.

they also have good coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, this is what i need. ty

daryn
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
"i'm serious. how much does this crap cost? are there any free places? isn't there some website? couldn't i just google it? am i too lazy to?"

I thought you had some shadowy foreign girlfriend. This idea is definitely +PV. I think the amount you buy in for matters more than the table stakes, unless you are talking about 100-200.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

i do. this isn't to get chicks, just to do SOMETHING.

daryn
04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
What kinds of wirless cards do you guys use for these expeditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

internal baby

daryn
04-06-2005, 12:28 PM

hey bro-

i play occasionlly at this place in quincy that doesnt charge. some VERY nice customers. possibly to young for us, but who gives a fcuk?

also, the coffee is pretty damn good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

too young? how could that even be! i am not too old. where is it, what's it called?

daryn
04-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Better idea if you have wireless. Get a set of lawn furniture and set it up on the sidewalk in front of your house/apt. like it's a little French sidewalk cafe. You can drink all the coffee you want much cheaper and you're already paying for the Internet access anyway. I'm sure you'll get a look or two there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

no sidewalk /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BeerMoney
04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!! This is the most honest post ever.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent!! This is the most honest post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn's posts always are.

Edge34
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This avatar/location has gotten more attention than any other one I've ever had. 2+2 must love parfaits.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are definitely +EV. Unfortunately, they lost a lot of their value when they cut down the size by like 80%...

Ulysses
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe someone mentioned it already, but the waitresses at Coffee Shop are soooooooooooo hot. I love that place.

KJS
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Getting affirmation from strangers? Lame.

KJS

sublime
04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
too young? how could that even be! i am not too old. where is it, what's it called?

probably not to young. they all go tanning. wear belly shirts, blionde streaks in thier hair. yummy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

coffee break cafe. right next to wollaston train station. plently of chicks for you to tell that you play internet poker for a living /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KaneKungFu123
04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this question tops your previous question about how do you get a job in a foreign country.

bholdr
04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
"i mean go in with laptop, play poker, have people gawk at the stakes, etc."

LMAO! what happens if they catch a losing session? they'll be telling everyone: "i saw this dumbass in a coffee shop lose two thousand dollars playing internet poker today!"

i bet you'll impress some ladies (if you're winning) though.

Mayhap
04-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Don't mention the word 'wire' in those coffee shops in the North End.
It makes em noivous.

/M

Boris
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
If you want to pick up chicks I think you'd be better served by getting a motorcycle.

CanKid
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing whatever the cool new Korean online war game was

[/ QUOTE ]
Starcraft/Broodwar ?

Sponger15SB
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the laptop doesn't block the size of your enormous penis.

RustedCorpse
04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone, anyone, does a place like this exist in new york????!!?!?!

xadrez
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been inside it before, and I cant remember the address exactly, but I passed a bar the other day on the UWS that had a sign outside saying they had wireless.

It btw Columbus and CPW, nearby the Beacon Theatre. Dont remember the street, but maybe 74/75/76 ??

Sorry for being vague, but I dont remember the specifics (although I could find it on foot no problem)

Arnfinn Madsen
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Me too, only 2 small obstacles:

-I am not cool enough
-I suck at poker

Anyone has a 3 days plan to solve both?

CrashPat
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are definitely +EV. Unfortunately, they lost a lot of their value when they cut down the size by like 80%...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever asked anyone "hey lets get some parfaits" and they said "no, I don't like no parfaits".

Parfaits might be the best thing on the whole damn planet.

Beerfund
04-06-2005, 06:51 PM
playing whatever the cool new Korean online war game was
Starcraft/Broodwar ?

Sure? I never payed enough attention but whatever it was they loved it.

bdk3clash
04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone, anyone, does a place like this exist in new york????!!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh. Of course. Do a Google search for something like New York City bars wifi. Google is your friend. I did and found a bunch of pages that list bars with wifi.

Some neighborhoods have area-wide wifi, either as a planned thing or just because there are so many open wifi hotspots. I think a several block-radius around Tompkins Square Park (7th St. to 10th St., Avenue A to Avenue B) has wifi. I only know this because it's my old neighborhood, and I'm sure there are plenty of others neighborhoods with similar coverage, not to mention individual bars that provide their own access.

Assuming you have a laptop with a wireless card, just tote it around to your favorite bar and see if you get a signal--I'd be surprised if you didn't, given your neighborhood ("Midtown West").

rory
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
the coffee isn't too good.

rory
04-06-2005, 07:00 PM
why have i not met the thousand 2+2ers who apparently live in boston. lets go guys lets get together.

TimM
04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too, only 2 small obstacles:

-I am not cool enough
-I suck at poker

Anyone has a 3 days plan to solve both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Small Stakes Hold'em. You could do that in three days and it will solve both your problems. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TeeJayORTj
04-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Around Boston you can get free Wifi at "The Wrap" I would also say that the Buffalo Chicken Wrap with lettuce instead of celery is very good. Of course this isnt a trendy coffee shop...but its something.

Also something better then a parfait is a Gelati...I love those things from Rita's

BradleyT
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once they see him playing $100/$200 with a $30,000 roll there will be.

TimM
04-06-2005, 07:41 PM
He can change his password every night when he gets home.

Also, do not check e-mail there. Your e-mail password is sent in clear text and can be used to "remember" most of your other passwords.

daryn
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
the coffee isn't too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, i don't even drink coffee.

why have i not met the thousand 2+2ers who apparently live in boston. lets go guys lets get together.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok.

jar
04-07-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in. I'm moving to Chelmsford tomorrow.

sublime
04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
why have i not met the thousand 2+2ers who apparently live in boston.

because your a mute?

spydog
04-12-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to come live in Tempe soon (http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/0321wireless-ON.html) .

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. I moved from Tempe 7 months ago to live in a country where all I can get is dial-up internet access for €30/month. Oh, and that's for the first 150 hours per month, which because of poker, I have greatly exceeded. Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that I pay roughly €100/month for dial-up internet in Sligo, Ireland.