PDA

View Full Version : what i hate about the show Law and Order

rusty JEDI
04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Probably happens 2-3 times per episode. Tonight it was 3.

The detectives go to interview a suspect/witness/person with some info about something. They show up at the persons house or work and while they are asking all of these cop like questions the person just keeps walking around doing what ever they were doing while they answer the questions. More often than not the two detectives are standing 2-4 feet apart and the person also just walks between them to get to something they need.

Seriously, if detectives show up to ask me some questions im going to stop what im doing.

rJ

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:26 AM
In fact, that will likely not be your choice to make, as I learned when I decided to continue driving while the arresting officer was attempting to question me.

The Dude
04-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Psychology has shown that, when nervous and hiding the truth, people continue doing what they are doing at the time. And if doing nothing, they will find something to occupy thier thinking. (This also buys time for them to think.) I have a degree in law and a degree in criminal psychology.

I am also the smartest person alive.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Psychology has shown that, when nervous and hiding the truth, people continue doing what they are doing at the time. And if doing nothing, they will find something to occupy thier thinking. (This also buys time for them to think.) I have a degree in law and a degree in criminal psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you are not a golfer.

bennyk
04-06-2005, 04:42 AM
that's the only thing you hate about the show??!

i hate it when good evidence is ruled inadmissable because the cops [censored] up (or the DA's blame the cops for it). stupid 4th ammendment.

this happens roughly 1 time per show.

bk

ethan
04-06-2005, 04:59 AM
It'd bug me, but not as much as what bugs me about CSI. I've watched 2-3 episodes of CSI:NY and 2-3 of CSI:Miami. Every time, the detectives do a little work, go talk to their suspect, and the suspect immediately says "Ok, you got me. Here are all the details of my nefarious plot, I'm so guilty."

I like The Shield. And The Wire.

edit - happy birthday.

youtalkfunny
04-06-2005, 05:02 AM
What I hate about the show: when the prosecution is floundering for the entire trial, unable to prove anything, no chance to win at all...

...and then the defendant decides to take the stand.

MicroBob
04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I like the 'plea-bargain knowing-nod'.

Every time they have a plea-bargain going they never say anything like "all right....I'll do the 10-to-20."
It's always the lawyer looking at the defendant...the defendant looking back at the lawyer and barely nodding...and the lawyer looking back at Jack. And that's enough for the plea-bargain to be agreed upon.

Sometimes it works the other way where they make the suggestion and then Jack barely nods.

Umm....if it's the amount of time I'm doing I think the communication is going to be a bit more clearly stated than that.

If I asked someone if they wanted another drink and they nodded as imperceptably as they do in Law and Order I would ask "Dude...is that a yes? You barely moved. Do you want another drink or not?"

I also like how cool they act when the ADA or Lieutenant says "Pick 'em up." Like there's no other way to say "I think we have enough evidence. Lets arrest him."

I agree about the suspects behavior though.
There are many instances where regular witnesses (who had nothing to do with the crime) are just plain indignant to the detectives.
When it's the police I'm sure not giving the kind of attitude that most of these people do (nor am I going to just continue doung the dusting around my house)...then again, I'm not from NY.

Ianco15
04-06-2005, 05:18 AM
I watch The Shield and have never encountered such a problem.

Ship__It.

Tyler Durden
04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Your subject line is funny. Because (I know you're not supposed to start a sentence w/ that word but I don't care) if you had written "what i hate about law and order" I don't think everyone would label you an anarchist. We would have (is it just me or does it bug others when someone writes I should of gone..." I mean come on, it's should have, not should of) known what you meant.

Also, happy birthday.

Klepton
04-06-2005, 06:01 AM
the best is trying to figure out who the killer is by how popular the actor playing him is... case in point the mute kid from mystic river was the bad guy in one, "boone" from "lost" was another, and you just know it's gonna be them because of it.

also the first criminal they arrest never did it

and when interviewing people, the interviewee always either helps them tremendously or not at all

ex...
"Did you see this man?"
"Yes he was wearing a blue shirt, white, mid forties, said he worked over by the lumbar yard."

"And you sir, did you see this man?"
"I'm sorry i'm retarded and blind."

Luzion
04-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Thats not really entirely correct. Sometimes the first criminal they catch really did do it. If this happens, the rest of the show usually focuses on some twist or some problem they have in court; example would be a recent Law & Order: Trial by Jury with the baby that got killed by the nanny and the whole show focused on the smug judge, or another recent Law & Order: SVU with the mom that kills her babies for attention.

tek
04-06-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also like how cool they act when the ADA or Lieutenant says "Pick 'em up." Like there's no other way to say "I think we have enough evidence. Lets arrest him."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Book em" was already taken by Hawaii 5-0 /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tek
04-06-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. I can stop what I'm doing, look you straight in the eye and lie to your face.