PDA

View Full Version : 5'6 too small to play college football?

Creepy Guy
04-06-2005, 02:05 AM

ClaytonN
04-06-2005, 02:07 AM
No.

Ten7offsuit
04-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Are you a kicker/punter?

Michael Davis
04-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Obviously you could punt or kick. You could also play CB, S or RB if you are tremendously talented. Possibly WR in college. But if you are just sort of talented, you have no chance.

-Michael

Edge34
04-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Depends what position.

Automatically eliminated:
QB, WR, Line, LBs

Tough but doable:
D-backs
Running Back, if you're freaking FAST

Easy:
Kicker and punter (I'm a kicker, but I'm 5'11" or so)

ClaytonN
04-06-2005, 02:10 AM
A runner up to the Heisman was 5'8

cold_cash
04-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Which college?

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 02:15 AM
D3 sure.

D2, probably if very athletic.

D1 You better be a freakishly atheltic individual with tremendous speed and if playing CB 42 inch+ hops.

If you are a kicker this doesnt apply.

How tall was that Bloom kid from Colorado?

The RB for U of Mich was like 5"7 -8"

bugstud
04-06-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which college?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anthony Davis and Darren Sproles both played this year at heights close to this.

Creepy Guy
04-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm a receiver. I'm good, but I've been told I'm too small for most "good" D1 teams.

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Which camps have you gone to?? Invited to??
Timed @??

Whats your 40 time?

Now take that number your coach hand timed you at and add at least .20 of a second.

Whats your vert>?

Michael Davis
"I'm a receiver. I'm good, but I've been told I'm too small for most "good" D1 teams."

This is probably true. Have you considered switching to DB?

-Michael

cold_cash
Probably because most D1 corners will be just as fast, if not faster, than you are, and will also have a substantial height advantage.

Your days of running right by everyone are over.

siccjay
04-06-2005, 02:23 AM
At 5'6'' you are in trouble at WR. If you are lighting fast you can return kicks. I'd say you would have to be GREAT to play D-1.

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:23 AM
And UM did what this year? Limped along, suckered itself into the rose bowl and promptly choked. Not much of an argument for the shorties.

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
I hope thats a joke...

In a yr where they basically were rebuilding they almost beat the poll #3 team in the nation in the Rose Bowl.

Plz note I am a diehard OSU fan.

Edge34
04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably because most...corners will be just as fast, if not faster, than you are

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact reason I had to quit playing corner after HS... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess a 4.8-4.9 isn't that good in college. Of course, I've gotten to be a pretty damn good kicker, FWIW.

cold_cash
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
I'm not saying you can't be a stump and still play D1 football.

I'm saying if you're a stump you better be a freak also.

Most people aren't freaks. Most people don't have the athletic abilities necessary to play D1 football. If you're shorter than average it just makes an already steep hill twice as steep, that's all I'm saying.

someguy2
04-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I'd say your chances are extremely slim unless you're INSANELY good.

My freshman year of high school, we had this incredible quarterback who shattered pretty much every league passing record. He didn't have a great arm, great athleticism, or anything special, but he was the smartest hs qb I'd ever seen, he always seemed to make the right decisions and make those clutch plays. He led our team to three straight league titles, undefeated regular seasons, his senior year he threw for an insane amount of yards and TDs, had only like 2 or 3 interceptions, and his completion rate was the highest in the state. He was all-state his junior and senior years, yet he didn't get a single scholarship offer from a D1 school.

Oh yeah, he was 5'8.

cold_cash
04-06-2005, 02:30 AM
If there's a D1 corner out there who runs a 4.9 40 yard dash, he won't be a D1 corner for much longer.

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't have a great arm, great athleticism, or anything special,

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why would anyone recruit him? It all about potential.

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Not a joke, just someone with the misfortune to live about an 1/8 of a mile from the Big House, and thus have to put up with all sorts of drunken shenanigans from the overzealous fans of a solidly mediocre team. Rebuilding is right. Rebuilding to the point where it will take a new [censored] lineup.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't have a great arm, great athleticism, or anything special,

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why would anyone recruit him? It all about potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You can train the strongest monkey to pick the blue peg, but the monkey that can pick the blue peg will never be the strongest.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a joke, just someone with the misfortune to live about an 1/8 of a mile from the Big House, and thus have to put up with all sorts of drunken shenanigans from the overzealous fans of a solidly mediocre team. Rebuilding is right. Rebuilding to the point where it will take a new [censored] lineup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a Gander?

Burn in hell.

Michael Davis
04-06-2005, 02:33 AM
"The exact reason I had to quit playing corner after HS..."

Exactly. Going from HS to college is such a huge step it's almost incomprehensible.

-Michael

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Going from HS to college is such a huge step it's almost incomprehensible.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

An going D1 to pro is at least a power of 10.

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't know what that means, but them's fighting words nonetheless.

NLSoldier
04-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Are you black?

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what that means, but them's fighting words nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big house is where the wolverines play. A gander is a Michigander, someone from michigan, more specifically someone from ann arbor (notice you don't even get capitalized). I am from Columbus. Therefore I want you to burn in hell for all eternity.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you black?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a really good gimmick account but he's digressed from making posts about young men's genitals, so I think he might be serious...

InchoateHand
04-06-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm not remotely from Ann Arbor, though I do have the misfortune of living here for possibly the next five years.

As for Colombus, I lived there too. It was alright, but it kind of sucked, and Ohio in general is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Plus you are all fuckeyes. Haha, I made a funny.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not remotely from Ann Arbor, though I do have the misfortune of living here for possibly the next five years.

As for Colombus, I lived there too. It was alright, but it kind of sucked, and Ohio in general is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Plus you are all fuckeyes. Haha, I made a funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you're not a Gander... and you're not a Buckeye... your existence has no meaning to me. Good enough.

Edge34
04-06-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Its as close to incomprehensible as possible - its ridiculous. I went to a D3 school my freshman year (thinking I'd be getting more PT there, I was wrong) and liked to watch out corners. Now, a lutheran college in Moorhead, MN isn't getting the best athletes in the world, but it was clear that I'd have to take the CB off the "CB/K" I'd long had under "position".

Let's not even talk about how it is at the D2 school I'm at now...

On topic - its been said already, but I'll reiterate. If you're 5'6" at WR, you better be an absolute freak, and think about switching to D-back. Guys like Antoine Winfield get by on technique in the pros, but its the guys like Moss and TO that you want going up to get a ball from your QB.

mason55
04-06-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Antoine Winfield

[/ QUOTE ]

Go Buckeyes.

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Ive met Winfield.

About 5"8-9"

Certainly taller than 5"6

Dude was/is an absolute ball hawk. Just another Ohio St. freak.

Edge34
04-06-2005, 02:47 AM
He was the only short corner I could think of...and he plays for the Vikes /images/graemlins/cool.gif

For reference, I just thought up the shortest, whitest receiver I could...and found out that the badass that is Wayne Chrebet is even 5'10". Height does matter.

NLSoldier
04-06-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you black?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a really good gimmick account but he's digressed from making posts about young men's genitals, so I think he might be serious...

[/ QUOTE ]

You think I'm not serious?

Sephus
04-06-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love having a program where we can call a team that goes to the rose bowl and, for all its flaws, matches a top 5 team blow for blow for 60 minutes "solidly mediocre."

also mike hart (5'7") is awesome.

mason55
04-06-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love having a program where we can call a team that goes to the rose bowl and, for all its flaws, matches a top 5 team blow for blow for 60 minutes "solidly mediocre."

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a Gander.

Burn in hell.

J.R.
04-06-2005, 03:02 AM
http://www.soonerzone.com/1f4c89c0.jpg

Q is listed at 5'7, and that may be generous

einbert
04-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Your poll results are going to be quite skewed--I immediately answered yes due to the fact that there are many kickers/punters that height and shorter playing college football.

Best of luck to you by the way, I hope you get to accomplish this. It seems really important to you.

Sephus
04-06-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a Gander.

Burn in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive lived in ann arbor for 14 years and this thread is teh first time i've heard anyone refer to people who live in michigan as "ganders." is that supposed ot be some kind of geographical slur?

does it help if i'm a pennsylvanian by birth?

M2d
04-06-2005, 03:26 AM
chad owens from the university of hawaii is listed at 5'8", but he's closer to 5'6". second team all american kick returner this year and a school record setting wide receiver to boot. granted, he played in the spread under june jones, but the guy flat out made plays.

one knock I read on him in the draft reports is that he lacks flat out blazing speed. the guy's a talented athlete, of course, but he's certainly not a freak. he just plain wants it more than the other guy. he's a classmate of my cousin's and i've never met anyone more intense.

diddle
04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
flat out awesome post

someguy2
04-06-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which camps have you gone to?? Invited to??
Timed @??

Whats your 40 time?

Now take that number your coach hand timed you at and add at least .20 of a second.

Whats your vert>?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the Nike Combine in Long Beach last month and clocked a 4.47 in the 40 with a 26" Vert, but my overall SPARQ rating wasn't that great. I'm going to the Nike camp next week at USC, there will be tons of coaches and scouts, so hopefully that will go well.

someguy2
04-06-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Half black. My mom is Korean.

Ten7offsuit
04-06-2005, 03:53 AM
???

sthief09
04-06-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you black?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wrote the same thing but had to delete it because I saw you wrote it first

FishBurger
04-06-2005, 04:14 AM
It's not the height of the player that matters, it's the size of his heart.

Tron
04-06-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not the height of the player that matters, it's the size of his heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

NLSoldier
04-06-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Half black. My mom is Korean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someguy2=creepy guy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

zaxx19
04-06-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with a 26" Vert,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really explosive.

I was... well Im not gonna mention my weight... but probably 100 lbs more than you in HS and had a 23" vert at the Illinois camp.

Of course not many B10 schools were looking for a 6" Guard /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
04-06-2005, 06:42 AM
A few quick thoughts...

Your 40 is whatever, I trust if you are serious, you are a little quicker. You're vert leaves some to be desired.

I have some friends who play college ball and I have talked to them quite a bit about it. I was recently having a conversation with one who is also a WR and has been invited to play for several NFL Europe teams etc. but he is turning it down to get on with his life.

He couldn't stress enough how much of a toll college football had taken on his body. He is 5'11" 190lbs guy, so quite a bit bigger than you it sounds like. He basically said he was tired of playing for 4 years and putting his body on the line, day in and day out, and having it get rocked by guys much bigger than himself. As I hope you know (unless you played for a tiny high school) getting lit up is no fun. Now, the players just get bigger, stronger, and faster, with a much greater incentive to injure you.

As far as the WR position goes as well, sorry but I think your chances are very slim. For you to be getting consideration you must have put up some great numbers, so that should help, but it is much more difficult for a smaller guy to be considered at wr. There are tons of potential problems with you not being able to get off the line, difficult for the qb to find you in heavy traffic areas, lack of ability to get the jump balls, etc etc etc.

Final note, and I think this is extremely important, do not go to just any school because you can play D1 ball. I have a friend who did that and plays for New Mexico and hates it. He hates the college, the area, etc and only put up with it because of football. College is an amazing time; you will have tons of fun regardless. I was in your situation once (although different than the size issue) and do not regret not playing at all. In fact, I am glad I had a life during my years and able to do stuff like studying abroad, etc. Hope it works out.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Barry Sanders was officially 5'8 so probably actually 5'6

thatpfunk
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
I think if he had the skill of barry sanders he doesn't need to ask.

Also, WR is quite different than rb.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if he had the skill of barry sanders he doesn't need to ask.

Also, WR is quite different than rb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the responses. I was just responding to the original post. 5'6 is way short for a receiver. Maybe a CB though.

Bulldog
04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too small to play college football? No. (Ask Lottery Larry, he is like 5'2"!)

Too small to play WR in Division 1? Yes.

I saw Central Michigan play this season and they have a 5'5" RB who was an outstanding player. But D1 WR? I think you are out of luck.

lucas9000
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
you can be 5 foot nuthin, 100 and nuthin, and play for notre dame.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can be 5 foot nuthin, 100 and nuthin, and play for notre dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially these days. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chaas4747
04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
No freaking way this thread has made it this far without a Sup Bro?

Redmen62
04-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Better example: Darren Sproles, who will be picked too low in this year's NFL draft, who is 5'5 7/8.

Steph Djordjevic
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I am 5'4" but I play much bigger because I have mad hops.

Anyway, I was on my way to playing D1 when this game situation came up:

One time, I was involved in a critical situation. My team, the Ampipe Bulldogs were about to beat our archrival, Walnut Heights. It was very important for our town to win this game because Ampipe is a dying coal-mining town and we needed to restore some community pride and esteem through high school football. On the other hand, Walnut Heights is a snobby suburb and all the residents are accountants, doctors, and lawyers.

But I digress. All Coach had to do was have Rifleman kneel on the ball and we win the game. In the alternative, I felt it would be wise if Rifleman threw me a jump ball on a flag route (I have mad hops for a 5'4" cornerback/split end).

Coach called for a fullback run, up the gut. It ended right up Coach Nickerson's ass, because there was a torrential downpour and the ball was fumbled. Walnut Heights scored on a last-second play when they set up an illegal pick, then committed offensive pass interference, an illegal chop block, clipping, and the ol' high-low, all against yours truly. Despite the penalties (not called) and my efforts, I could not make up the 10" height advantage the receiver had over me and they scored.

Coach decided to put the blame on the players and I stood up to him. He wouldn't let me on the team bus. So, I got drunk and threw trash on Coach Nick's lawn. I got kicked off the team, and now I have to make all the right moves to get a football scholarship.

I made a few right moves and ended up playing D2 at Cal Poly Pomona ... but, there were no "scholly's" and the cheerleaders were 3 fat chicks and a midget. Don't let this happen to you.

jakethebake
04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Your play; pathetic in my opinion.

Lottery Larry
04-08-2005, 02:21 PM
punk

Lottery Larry
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
You'd have to be insanely fast, I think, but at the college level it could work. You'd probably need great jumping ability as well

How tall is Doug Flutie? Was he recruited by BC or did he walk on?

How tall was Fred Blinknekoff (sp?) I don't think he was that fast, was he? If you can get open and have great hands...

I wouldn't count on too many scholarships, but if you can prove yourself as a walk-on.... who knows?

Let us know how it works out

Dead
04-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And where is Mike Hart from?

Syracuse. Went to Onondaga Central High.

And he's actually my height(5'9").

Sluke
04-08-2005, 04:21 PM
5'6 running back from Johstown, PA that is an incoming freshman at Pitt. (http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26458)

Pocket Trips
04-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I voted it depends... and it depends on if your name is Rudy... then you will get to make 1 play in your entire college career. But on the plus side you will be the subject of one of the greatest sports movies ever made.