PDA

View Full Version : Is this ebay email real?

Trump
04-06-2005, 01:49 AM
I just received this email from ebay, but it is in my spam folder and I can't even click that link in the email (it's just text).
http://gametorch.com/images/ebay.JPG

JaBlue
04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
the URL of the "confirm here!" link will probably solve this

Trump
04-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Well it just seems to be just text, it's not a clickable link really.

mason55
04-06-2005, 01:53 AM
type your username and password in this thread so that i can log in and confirm that no one is trying to scam you.

Bukem_
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
no-warning signs include:

dear valued customer-they don't even know who you are.

asking you to wait 72 hours.

telling you that trying to reach them will slow down the process.

emailing as a response to confirm identity.

You shouldnt ever have to do this, but say you did you would want to do this from ebay itself, not as a response to an email.

Making it sound somewhat urgent, so you get concerned and reply to this in error.

If you are ever suspicious of an email like this, just contact the company itself directly(not by replying to message) and ask them if they sent you anything.

ethan
04-06-2005, 02:30 AM
This is a scam. As is any email you get along the lines of "Hi, we're (whatever bank you use). We need you to type your username/password here to verify them again."

edit - note that it's possible for someone to have a link in their email that shows up as ebay.com in your browser that _isn't_ actually ebay.com. Thus, even if you follow the link and everything looks right, don't trust it.

(I believe this won't be an issue if your browser's up-to-date, but don't take chances.)

IsaacW
04-06-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOGLE SMRT!

ESS-EMM-ARE-TEE, SMRT!

ethan
04-06-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOGLE SMRT!

ESS-EMM-ARE-TEE, SMRT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually didn't notice that the first time I looked at the message. Google's done a really good job with their spam-filtering, and seeing something like this from them doesn't surprise me.

Man. They keep trying to convince me that I should work there, and they're getting closer to succeeding.

IsaacW
04-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I was just joshing... but yeah, Gmail is a pretty incredible product.

gvibes
04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit - note that it's possible for someone to have a link in their email that shows up as ebay.com in your browser that _isn't_ actually ebay.com. Thus, even if you follow the link and everything looks right, don't trust it.

(I believe this won't be an issue if your browser's up-to-date, but don't take chances.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely true. I think my roommate fell for this one. He did, however, get later, real emails from ebay telling him that his account was shut down as a result of fraud.