PDA

View Full Version : SnG ephiphany?

dfscott
04-06-2005, 12:09 AM
This may be old hat to some of the experienced players out there, but over the past two nights, I've had an ephiphany of sorts: suddenly, I feel like I know what I'm doing.

Pushing all-in with 72o from the SB doesn't seem so strange anymore. It seems just as natural as raising with AA. Calling a desperate short stack with A6 now seems natural. I used to hold my breath during both of those plays and [cheer/moan] when I saw [JJ/54s]. Now I don't even watch the results half the time -- I'm on to other tables.

And the interesting thing is that the onset of this feeling was accompanied by a fairly bad run of 10 OOTM. I bounced back tonight to cash in 4 out 5, but it didn't seem to matter. I just feel like I've moved to a better place in my play and attitude. Plays that seem intuitively correct at the time are backed up by post-game analysis. Hands that kill me to fold at the time turn out to be the right play when I look at it later in a more objective light.

I don't know if it's a natural part of the evolution of a SnG'er, but I hope it is. I imagine there's probably some oscillation between my original state and this state, but I really enjoy this one and hope to remain here a while -- it's almost zen-like. I'm certainly not tilt-immune by any means, it's just that my game is more automatic and it allows me to think about the trickier situations at a deeper level.

I probably sound like I'm bragging, but that's not my intent. Neither my ITM nor ROI is anything to write home about, but my attitude and approach to the game is markedly different. I guess I just want anyone else that's just starting out that went through the frustration that I did to realize that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edit: And I should also say thanks to all the 2+2'ers that helped me, both with with my play and my attitude -- I didn't make this journey alone.

The Yugoslavian
04-06-2005, 12:16 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is the sort of thing I've been hoping to hear from you dfscott...

Just remember, the light can seem awfully close....yet still be far, far away. The important thing is seeing the light, instead of darkness.

Yugoslav

lorinda
04-06-2005, 12:17 AM
It's nice to hear it.

I'm sure many of the regulars on this forum have been taking this journey with you and enjoy hearing about your ups and downs (Let's face it,if it was all ups it would be boring reading /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

You will probably have this same feeling a few times before you finally get settled. Each time you'll think it is the last but the evil SNGs do try their best to fight back.

Just remember how you felt when you wrote this post in case you ever need to come back here.

Lori

dfscott
04-06-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just remember, the light can seem awfully close....yet still be far, far away. The important thing is seeing the light, instead of darkness.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. I'm not ready to change my avatar yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scuba Chuck
04-06-2005, 12:31 AM
I remember that day for me. Believe me, there's more coming.

The best part is, you're going to start making more money than you ever did at .05/.10 Limit HE. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scuba
who still thinks there's more coming for me.

NegativeEV
04-06-2005, 12:35 AM
It took paid coaching for me to get to the point you're at. It is very satisfying to KNOW you are playing correctly. Someone smarter than me told me "Good, now you know how to beat SnGs...... remember, though, you will run into long streaks where your 72o pushes will run into INCORRECT calls from 55 and you will lose- don't get discouraged". This is the tough part long-term.

Good luck.

dfscott
04-06-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The best part is, you're going to start making more money than you ever did at .05/.10 Limit HE. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I should hope so! What I'm really hoping for is to eventually make more than my 2/4 Limit HE. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

zaphod
04-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Well done.

raptor517
04-06-2005, 03:44 AM
and you will, if you keep pushing yourself. you have reached the first level of sng mastery /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

johnnybeef
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you will run into long streaks where your 72o pushes will run into INCORRECT calls from 55 and you will lose- don't get discouraged". This is the tough part long-term.

[/ QUOTE ]

once you come out of a couple of downswings, this becomes much easier.

raptor517
04-06-2005, 04:26 AM
still pisses me off when i push AK and get autocalled by 33 on the bubble leaving him with 100 chips if he loses. bah

shejk
04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
That's when I think about 77 pushes getting called by 55.

kyro
04-06-2005, 07:32 AM
dfscott,

i've been feeling the same way lately. each push makes more sense to me now. while i'm still not where i would like to be, it's nice to not always question yourself with stuff like (what if i bust out on this hand?) after every push on the bubble.

1C5
04-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Good post.

For me, I have been losing for so long now that I am currently in that stage where I know my AK will lose to A6 on the river and it does without question. Before I would get pretty mad, but now it is to the point where I often made the right call or push when I am a 70% favorite and still manage to lose over and over.

PS, I will be moving to the 22s and give them a try also, (just played my first one)

Mammux
04-06-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.. remember, though, you will run into long streaks where your 72o pushes will run into INCORRECT calls from 55 and you will lose- don't get discouraged".

[/ QUOTE ]
I think if you push 72o and are called by 55 you should work more on your reads. Most of the time you should only push 72o against an opponent that is at least slightly tight.

-Magnus

AA suited
04-06-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
still pisses me off when i push AK and get autocalled by 33 on the bubble leaving him with 100 chips if he loses. bah

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it wrong to call w/33 here? (i do it all the time. /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Scuba Chuck
04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why is it wrong to call w/33 here? (i do it all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

RU serious?

Freudian
04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
For me the light went on when I realized that pushing all/calling all when in the money would be a much more efficient strategy than the one I was using.

Sure, before I often got my chips in the middle with the best of it but it happened way too rarely and when it did I had way too few chips.