PDA

View Full Version : More LAG play from yours truly

chief444
04-06-2005, 12:06 AM
MP was like 25/xx/xx with pretty average aggression numbers and 30% or so went to showdown. Nothing on CO yet. Button and blinds weren't too loose (like all <30, with the BB playing too tight..like 10% VPIP)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...planning to fold to a raise.

Comments on all streets welcome.

rmarotti
04-06-2005, 12:14 AM
I think this hand is sweet, but everyone knows I'm a LAG.

QTip
04-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Even though I watched this hand and saw what happened...here what would happen with these opponents 90% of the time, which is why I don't like this...

Mp2 folds, CO calls

River: who cares....but let's say it's not a spade....Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif maybe

Now what does hero do?

bet, CO calls and you lose to J8o

check...co gets an opportunity to value bet and very well may...not what....fold?

I just don't like because a call makes it awkward and it happens all the time(sp?)

chief444
04-06-2005, 12:24 AM
My plan was to bet any river card (except a 7 because they'll obviously call) if only one called. Again I'd fold to a raise. I think if one just decided to call down hoping I'm on overcards it's about as likely they have a worse hand as it is an 8. Although probably not so true for MP2.

If both called...I'd probably check and call but not overcall.

mtdoak
04-06-2005, 12:43 AM
While I agree at a tighter table, you should be raising more. However, I don't think this is the kind of hand you should be raising with. Keep raising your powerhouse hands, add hands like 87s, J10s, and low and mid pairs (such as 33-55), into your raising, hands that are going to have a decent shot against the hands they are going to CALL you with, not hands that reek of domination. What are you going to do if a TAG cold calls you here? Whoops...Your in big trouble and praying for 2 sixes or 2 low hearts. Also, with a poster (with no read), I don't think raising into him when he has position and a half price entry fee is such a good idea as well. A6s in middle position is a marginal hand that plays well at a loose table with multiway flops, NOT a hand that plays well at a tight table. If you get this hand in CO or even MP3 and its folded around to you, take a stab at the blinds. Theres just too many people behind you, IMHO , for the preflop raise.

bobbyi
04-06-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep raising your powerhouse hands, add hands like 87s, J10s

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'd rather have an ace than 87s. My hand here has some showdown value. If I called by CO or BB (most likely scenarios) I have something to showdown aren't always forced to bluff all the way down. Much better than going in with eight high. Yeah, it gets sucked when I'm played with by a TAG but that isn't the scenario I'm playing for nor is it the most likely one.

sthief09
04-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't like it. I don't like the preflop raise despite the poster, and I really don't like the flop call. you have a one card gut shot, no backdoor draw, a weak A, and there is a two flush on the board. and you're getting 8.4-1. if you want to bet, that's fine because it's 3 handed. but I don't like check calling.

3 handed I really don't like the turn bet. headsup I would. 3-handed it makes me wish you had folded the flop

bobbyi
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
The only street where you don't show aggression is that the one where I think you should have.

mtdoak
04-06-2005, 02:18 AM
My point was, at a tighter table, it'd be better to avoid dominated hands Axs from early position. I'd MUCH rather get a hand I can semibluff with than Bluffing all the way down with A high. He doesn't have position in this hand, and I would HATE to play A high against a tag out of position. Yes, A high is a better hand that 8 high, and it does have more 'showdown' value, as you called it. But, I think you really need to consider the value of your hand WHEN YOU ARE CALLED. I'd take 87s vs AQ over A6s vs AQ. Every day of the week.

bobbyi
04-06-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would HATE to play A high against a tag out of position...I'd take 87s vs AQ over A6s vs AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did this TAG come from? I'm raising because if I don't take the blinds, I would like to play this against the poster or the BB who may call for half price with crappy cards. They don't have AQ. Obviously, if I have A6 and get three-bet by a tight player it will suck. But that is rarely going to hapeen. That's why he's tight. And it's not where my profit comes from with this hand. So don't worry about it so much. I am trying to play this against the people with crappy cards and ace high is good against them.

Brunger
04-06-2005, 03:18 AM
What exactly does the turn bet represent. It is highly unlikely you checked a flush draw or 77. If you are betting to protect what you feel is the best hand why not bet the flop as the turn card changed basically nothing execpt perhaps making it more likely you are behind.

chief444
04-06-2005, 09:05 AM
If anyone agreed with the pf raise I thought it would be you. I thought it was a little loose as well. But it was 8 handed so I'm really MP2 here, with a poster. I don't think it's too bad considering there are some tighter players behind me and a 10%VPIP BB. A8s I'm assuming no one would think twice about right? I typically open with A8s in MP2 without a poster if the players behind are fairly tight. Anyway, if you say it's wrong as aggressive as you are preflop then maybe I'm overdoing it at times.

I considered betting the flop. Then I thought...it's an 8 high coordinated board and it's pretty likely I get called and possibly raised by any pair or good draw. I have a hand that I wouldn't mind seeing the turn with for 1 SB but I'd rather not put in two and if I get raised I'd have to call. So I check/called. But maybe betting out would be better. It was my first instinct and maybe I just overthought this one.

I'm surprised you have a problem with the turn play though. I think I'm betting the best hand a pretty good percentage of the time. MP2 bets an 8 or better on the flop. MP2 likely bets a 7 on the turn. CO could be betting anything on the flop. MP2 will peel on the flop closing the action getting 9-10:1 with a lot. Anyway, I didn't want to see it check through. I didn't want to fold what is likely the best hand. I didn't really like check/calling again. I felt this was a clear value bet that given my unusual line was unlikely to be raised by anything I shouldn't be folding to. That was my thinking at the time.