PDA

View Full Version : Cy Schmidt off to a good start

BWebb
04-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Slow start to the game, but ended strong:

7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 9 K, 2 BB

Oh yeah, Giants 1 Dodgers 0. GO GIANTS!!

istewart
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cy Schmidt off to a good start

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a summary of last season /images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Steele
04-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Giants look good this year.

The infield is exoellent

Vizquel at short (made a great play today.)
Matheny Catching
JT Snow is outstanding
Alphonzo and Durham are adequate

Throw in the other new players:
Moises Alou
Benitez closing

They only missed last year by two games,
they should be much better.

A couple of the other starting pitchers,
Williams or Tomko say, are going to need good years.
OH yeah, Bonds must get healthy.

The average age is a worry so better win this year!

D.

billyjex
04-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Word.

Go Giants.

LAGmaniac
04-06-2005, 01:44 AM
#1 in the WEST!!! GO GIANTS!!!

FishNChips
04-06-2005, 01:53 AM
to my bretheren in blue....

i hate to say it, but expect a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 losses this year... we have a nice AA lineup.

That said...

Giants Suck! Schmidt will spend July on the DL you boys will finish 3rd...

Go Dodgers!
FishNChips!

Jack of Arcades
04-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Because, you know, Jason Schmidt has never held a good team to 2 ER.

Jesus Christ, what's up with all these poker players getting so worked up over short term results?

snowden719
04-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Is your commentary about the infield supposed to be sarcasm, because when I think of Matheny, Vizquel, Snow, and Alfonso, the term "good infield" is about the furthest thing from my mind.

M2d
04-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Derek Lowe faced a better lineup, gave up the same number of earned runs in the same number of innings and lost on an unearned run.

The Cy Young will not go to a pitcher who has a 2.57 against a Dodger level lineup.

(go dodgers!!)

Jack of Arcades
04-06-2005, 03:52 AM
False. Derek Lowe faced a far worse lineup than Schmidt did.

David Steele
04-06-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when I think of Matheny, Vizquel, Snow, and Alfonso, the term "good infield" is about the furthest thing from my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matheny is an excellent defensive catcher, last year he made exactly 1 error in 999 innings.

JT Snow is a golden glove first baseman, not to mention he lead the batting for the second half of the year after his injury.

What's wrong with Vizquel? His stats look about as good as Jeter, not too bad. The play he made yesterday is something the Giants didn't have last year.

D.

FoxwoodsFiend
04-07-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when I think of Matheny, Vizquel, Snow, and Alfonso, the term "good infield" is about the furthest thing from my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matheny is an excellent defensive catcher, last year he made exactly 1 error in 999 innings.

JT Snow is a golden glove first baseman, not to mention he lead the batting for the second half of the year after his injury.

What's wrong with Vizquel? His stats look about as good as Jeter, not too bad. The play he made yesterday is something the Giants didn't have last year.

D.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's odd to say you like the Giants chances this year, and partially justify that with their good infield, then say that what you meant by "good infield" is that they play defense. Interesting note, the presence of defense entails the existence of offense, and offense is something the Giants need as well. Offense is something they are pretty poor at and is much more important than defense so your reasoning would seem to also indicate that the Dodgers of 2 years ago, with an incredible defense and no offense somehow had a good team, when they sucked.
Also,
Jeter: .292 .352 .471
Vizquel: .291 .353 .388
Interesting notes, 83 points of slugging for Jeter is valuable. Vizquel is not a superstar and is very likely to be declining soon.