PDA

View Full Version : This is - EV

smartalecc5
04-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I just saw the ordering page for the 2+2 shirts and Mason recommends wearing it to your favorite cardroom!!

That is like a billboard saying "Hi, I study the game extensively, only play tight-agressive, and play very good while incorporating pot odds and exploiting my pot equity edges with preflop raises."

Definitely -EV /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JohnnyHumongous
04-05-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just saw the ordering page for the 2+2 shirts and Mason recommends wearing it to your favorite cardroom!!

That is like a billboard saying "Hi, I study the game extensively, only play tight-agressive, and play very good while incorporating pot odds and exploiting my pot equity edges with preflop raises."

Definitely -EV /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have NO idea why so many people believe 2+2ers are somehow awesome poker players as a rule.

swedeD
04-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Question : Are all books at Two plus Two really worth bying? I read a few articles in the Magazine and I almost got a "we are being brainwashed" feeling because beetween all advices there were commercial for their books. Buy this and buy this.... its all a conspiracy! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JohnnyHumongous
04-05-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question : Are all books at Two plus Two really worth bying? I read a few articles in the Magazine and I almost got a "we are being brainwashed" feeling because beetween all advices there were commercial for their books. Buy this and buy this.... its all a conspiracy! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I feel the books and the authors are fairly overrated... and I own two 2+2 books. To be an excellent poker player you're gonna need to be inventive and inquisitive. I think that you need to 'learn how to learn' on your own. Every moron and their brother can and has read poker books... how are you going to differentiate yourself from this crowd?

Greg J
04-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Reading 2+2 books will not make you a winner by itself. You learn by playing. The more you play the more you can correctly apply the concepts layed out in 2+2 books. It's playing plus reading and studying that makes for a winner. I'm not gonna defend the books though... I think results of most people on this forum speaks for that. Sklansky et al dont need me to defend them. If you want to believe they are overrate you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

lehighguy
04-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I found the book informative. However, I found the forums much more informative, because I could post specific questions.

That being said I found the forum before the book.

JohnnyHumongous
04-06-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading 2+2 books will not make you a winner by itself. You learn by playing. The more you play the more you can correctly apply the concepts layed out in 2+2 books. It's playing plus reading and studying that makes for a winner. I'm not gonna defend the books though... I think results of most people on this forum speaks for that. Sklansky et al dont need me to defend them. If you want to believe they are overrate you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not really overrated in and of themselves; they do what they claim to do which is explain certain concepts. However, watching people on this forum go ape for them sends the wrong signal about how important the books are to overall success. Maybe people get something out of them that I don't?

Bjorn
04-06-2005, 03:35 AM
First of all I would say that the 2+2 books I've read (ToP, HE4AP, 7CS4AP, SSHE) compare very favorably to the non 2+2 pokerbooks I've read and I'm looking forward to reading more 2+2 books.

That said I think the main reason that you (on average) would suspect a person that has read a few books to be better than a person who has read none at all is simply that the former person is much more likely to take the game seriously.

It should also be noted that different people learn stuff in fundamentally different ways. Some are very good at learning by doing, some learn more when they have things explained to them and so on. For people like myself that have a very time learning things from practical experience but who is very quick to pick up written material books are very helpful. (Plus I enjoy reading them.)

/Bjorn

Saint_D
04-06-2005, 06:11 PM
If you can understand SSH reasonably well, you can beat party .5/1.
You could do lots worse if you only wanted to invest in one book. It's a great book to put you on the right track to winning at small stakes. Truly, the rest is up to you. But it always is, isn't it?

I would think wearing the shirt would only tip off other poeple "in the know." Frankly, I would rather have something more subtle. A shirt with a brown troat maybe?

-D

swedeD
04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
SSH= small stakes holdem, right?

Saint_D
04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SSH= small stakes holdem, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.